Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the grapevine: US and UA are talking about something

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Keep UA my UA
No doubt. I am on US every now and then. It is okay. However, I wouldn't ever want to see this merger.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 2:07 pm
EAL

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Virgin America Elevate
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
Or maybe talking about *A integration/benefits/gate consolidation in wake of Continental joining in a little over a month ? Continental cant get too close just yet, but UAL and US certainly can talk. Neither has much cash, but figuring out a way to save money certainly needs talking.
I noticed UA pulled their red eye non-stop from LAX-PHL and their morning flight from PHL-LAX...now they only operate one flight a day between these two cities? Do you think UA and US are trying to consolidate on this route?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by EAL
I noticed UA pulled their red eye non-stop from LAX-PHL and their morning flight from PHL-LAX...now they only operate one flight a day between these two cities? Do you think UA and US are trying to consolidate on this route?
it is one of the routes that AA had agreed to fly in the previous US-UA merger.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:15 pm
EAL

but that was a long time ago and AA never started the route. Are there plans for them to start it up or something?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by gaucho99
More rumors.....merger inevitable???

http://www.usaviation.com/forums/ind...howtopic=47082
Two pertinent things have happened, as I can tell, that lend strength to this rumor mill:

1) US's $137 million cash influx from their stock offering: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9B0IO5O2.htm

2) US's lack of fuel hedging: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/3/fde5850c-a...nclick_check=1

For example, US Airways – the most domestically focused, and with perhaps the most marginal route network – has barely any fuel hedging in place now. Should the winter prove particularly harsh, liquidation or consolidation will be the only realistic options remaining. The latter will be good for the industry, if not for the forced mergees, but only slowly and after considerably more pain.

Do these two offset each other enough to keep a US-UA merger out of play?

If so, whose stock would would be more attractive to purchase at this point? US or UA? Or neither? @:-)
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:51 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by EAL
It's a seasonal change. Assuming the two airlines are still two separate airlines next Summer, UA will likely bring them back.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:52 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EAL
but that was a long time ago and AA never started the route. Are there plans for them to start it up or something?
Absolutely not. And too bad - they have a large enough presence at LAX that it could work. Not so much with SFO, though.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:42 am
EAL

Originally Posted by PHL
Absolutely not. And too bad - they have a large enough presence at LAX that it could work. Not so much with SFO, though.
Yeah, thats too bad! They definitely have a large enough presence here at LAX to make it work, I agree. It would be nice to see them on this route...they already do well on the LAX-EWR route.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Who knows with AA's large purchase of additional 737-800's? At least AA will have more planes with transcon range.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by EAL
Yeah, thats too bad! They definitely have a large enough presence here at LAX to make it work, I agree. It would be nice to see them on this route...they already do well on the LAX-EWR route.
Agreed. If I only had a dollar for every time one of my friends or co-workers told me they were flying LAX-ORD-PHL on AA, I would have enough money to fly PHL-BOS on a BloFare!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Wouldn't it make sense for UA and US to be talking right now, as they coordinate CO's entry into *A?

I suspect what we'll be hearing is lounge access details, any updates to earning across airlines, terminal moves, that kind of stuff. One can only dream, but maybe they'll all have to do free booze in order to stay competitive with DL. In any case, they have to do some amount of talking, and probably will be sharing some services to cut costs.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 4:30 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
Who knows with AA's large purchase of additional 737-800's? At least AA will have more planes with transcon range.
Those 738's are phasing out their very large, fuel guzzling, aging fleet of MD-80's. So, the net increase in aircraft (if any) will be small.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Those 738's are phasing out their very large, fuel guzzling, aging fleet of MD-80's. So, the net increase in aircraft (if any) will be small.
nevertheless, they will still have upwards of 200 more mainline aircraft in service than UA, which is rapidly shrinking its mainline fleet to near US-size...
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onebriskworld
Two pertinent things have happened, as I can tell, that lend strength to this rumor mill:

1) US's $137 million cash influx from their stock offering: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9B0IO5O2.htm

2) US's lack of fuel hedging: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/3/fde5850c-a...nclick_check=1
The lack of fuel hedging has NOTHING to do with potential mergers. The volatility, unpredictability and general craziness of the oil market (even WN could have had liquidity troubles putting up additional cash to cover their losing fuel hedge last year) has kept US away. A smart move, IMHO.

As far as the stock offerings go, I don't know the motivations. I see that UA did one today, too. But "everyone" in the industry is currently doing them. CFOs seem to like having lots of cash.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:27 am
EAL

I just saw over on the CO forum that they're now talking about merger rumors with CO and UA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.