FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Airways Unveils "Envoy Suite" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/995925-us-airways-unveils-envoy-suite.html)

uva185 Sep 17, 09 11:05 am

Wow this looks nice, especially for business class. I would say this is a step above UA's new business class which privacy and aisle access to all seats.

sbm12 Sep 17, 09 11:10 am

Forgot to ask this before....

In what world are these actually "suites" rather than seats? Does this mean that US plans on taking them out of *A inventory and charging DM members double for them?? :p

uva185 Sep 17, 09 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 12395815)
Forgot to ask this before....

In what world are these actually "suites" rather than seats? Does this mean that US plans on taking them out of *A inventory and charging DM members double for them?? :p

hahaha :D

To be fair, United calls their first class seats suites. http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,1932,00.html

As usual US is just lagging behind. :p

AZ Travels the World Sep 17, 09 11:31 am

Originally Posted by uva185 (Post 12395920)
To be fair, United calls their first class seats suites.

Yes, and they occupy substantially more real estate than the US business seats will. There will be no comparison between the two.

zeke320 Sep 17, 09 11:53 am

As to the number of seats on the 330-300 versus AC, I wonder if they will be adding a crew rest area up front on the 330-300? These are on the -200 and obviate the need for blocking a single envoy seat for the additional pilot crew, thereby providing additional available seating for revenue. As we all know, the -300 really only has 29 available envoy seats given the reserve of a single seat for crew.

Nicksta Sep 17, 09 12:01 pm

Well, I have to admit that this looks like a very nice cabin arrangement. I would try it at the earliest opportunity just to see what they can do - although I'm pretty loyal to BA's Club World.

This type of cabin environment, depending on service, could be very close to the First class service offered on other carriers. I would say Go Envoy upgrades would be substantially more than $500 - airfares overall would rise for these routes. BUT, it looks like they will have a product deserving of higher fares.

Its a good question, the one above referring to award inventory. I would see these being branded an F-type product.

Nice new A330s and a great new cabin - who would guess. Be nice if we saw some rotate to PHX then. I guess we'll see them with NRT service.

ClueByFour Sep 17, 09 12:13 pm

I fail to see the "game changing" aspects of this when it's going to trail the other North American Star carriers (not counting CO) by 2-3 years. And CO is rolling theirs out now.

My personal theory on this is that US is doing this to keep up with the jones, not to leapfrog them.

AZ Travels the World Sep 17, 09 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour (Post 12396191)
I fail to see the "game changing" aspects of this when it's going to trail the other North American Star carriers (not counting CO) by 2-3 years. And CO is rolling theirs out now.

My personal theory on this is that US is doing this to keep up with the jones, not to leapfrog them.

I agree with this. My use of the phrase 'game changer' was misleading.

What I mean by it is that it will pretty radically change the US participation in the game. This new product could put them in play for me, and I suspect many others, for international trips that they're not even in consideration for today.

I think their current international product, particularly the seats (which I care most about), is a pathetic competitor. The thought of flying the current Envoy to China or Japan -- not even a possibility. I would stay home first. This new product has the potential to completely change that equation.

ArizonaGuy Sep 17, 09 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour (Post 12396191)

Exactly. It's a much needed improvement but with a completion 3 years away, they'll be behind the curve again. Even UA has finished their 767's and most of the 747's in the last 18 months, maybe less. Taking one aircraft out at a time, why is it going to take 3 years for US to complete this?

Though as AZ Travels The World states above, if I could choose a flight with this for my trip I would certainly consider it. And I would definitely consider it as an award if I can book online and save 5K miles under the credit card's "select" promo. Oh who am I kidding - for an award I'm taking LX, AC, NZ or TK C. :)

swanscn Sep 17, 09 1:30 pm

Finally, Progress is being made

Congratulations US, it looks to me that you have finally realized that the business class traveller was looking for more that what Envoy offered. Please speed up the time schedule for completion of the fleet. And please do not forget the flights to Hawaii from the East Coast.

SS255 Sep 17, 09 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 12395659)
This is a common issue on most recent business and first configurations. I think they've determined that most business travelers, who PAY for these seats, tend to travel by themselves and value the privacy.

And those business travelers who do not travel by themselves probably value their privacy even more. ;)

These seats look great. Good job, US. ^

PHL Sep 17, 09 4:44 pm

The A330-300 should be able to fit at LEAST 5 rows of 1-2-1, if not 6, given that AC fits 9 rows of a similar design up front (although in a 1-1-1 config). I really don't see them keeping the mini cabin up front with those dated lie flat seats and the divider. Removing them gives a huge net gain of space to accommodate these new suites.

The thing is - can they sell enough of those seats to make it worth it, or will they throw a few rows of coach ahead of door 2L like they did with the 757?? Nothing should surprise us....

flight62 Sep 17, 09 5:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJFLmXrHCs

sciguy0504 Sep 17, 09 5:53 pm

I reckon it's going to take 2-3 years for these seats to trickle down into every A330 in the fleet because the fleet is heavily used during spring-fall and there is virtually no time to install these seats during that time of the year. Most of the seats will be installed during winter. US does not have the large long-haul fleet of most airlines and cannot just pull planes off routes to install these new seats.

Plus, it's not as if US (or any airline) can rip the current seats out and put the new seats in. These new seats are going to require tons of new wiring and, if US is reconfiguring galleys and closets, we are talking about installing/changing plumbing and ventilation.

Based on what I see, I would prefer this over Delta's new BusinessElite, United's business class and AA's international business.

AggieNzona Sep 17, 09 8:21 pm

I bet it is a 2-3 week job to change that out and I also bet they are doing it on the normal maintainence schedule hence the 3 years to get to them all.

On a side note I saw AC 281 on flight tracker flew in last week is that the next new one?