Keeping Silver Preferred status for another year

Old Sep 3, 09, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Keeping Silver Preferred status for another year

Hi everyone,

I reached Silver Preferred status with US in January 2009. I fly back and forth from PHL-SAN once every 3 or 4 weeks, so it didn't take me long to get the 25,000 preferred-qualifying miles.

As soon as I hit the magic 25K number, my number of preferred qualifying miles went back down to 0, and started increasing again. I now have 37227 preferred-qualifying miles, so I'm close to the 50,000 needed to get Gold status. I should have it by November, or December at the latest.

My question is, have I already clinched another program year of Silver Preferred? Let's say something comes up and I don't get the ~13000 miles required to get up to the Gold level by February. Would I still qualify to keep my Silver status for another year, through February 2011?

This may be obvious, but I'm not sure...US Airways' website just talks about the requirements for getting status, not the requirements for maintaining it.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 09, 4:10 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
If you earn status in a given year, it is valid for the remainder of that year and the following year. So yes, if you earned silver in 2009, it is valid through 2009 as well as through 2010, expiring in February of 2011.

If you manage to score gold by December 31, 2009, you will be gold until February of 2011.

Please clarify: You reached silver by flying 25K in January? And then you somehow got dropped to 0 and have flown an additional 37K miles this year? Meaning you've actually flown 62K+ miles in 2009? I don't think that's what you mean but that's one way I interpret it.
Old Sep 3, 09, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

ArizonaGuy,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to clarify:

- I started flying PHL-SAN in October 2008
- By January 2009 I had accumulated 25,000 miles and got Silver Status
- Since I got Silver, I have accumulated 37K miles toward Gold Status (only 13K to go!)
- 25K before Silver + 37K after silver means I've flown 62K miles total, since October 2008

Since I got status in January 2009, I would assume it's valid until February 2010, right?

I should get Gold in November 2009, so I'd be Gold until February of 2011...that part I'm almost sure about.

If somehow I didn't get to Gold by Feb. 2010, would the 37K miles I've flown since I got Silver qualify me for another year of Silver?

Hope that makes better sense.
Old Sep 3, 09, 4:56 pm

It depends entirely on when the miles were flown. While the program year is valid from March 1st through the following February, qualifying is based on the calendar year.

It's the statement that you made silver in January that confused me. Since your preferred miles balance resets to zero on January 1, you must have made silver prior to that. Maybe the system didn't update your status until January which is possible.

So, since January 1st, if you've flown 37K miles, you've earned silver through 2009 and the following program year, ending 2/28/2011. Get to gold if you are able to and it's worth it to you to get it. Earlier upgrades and *G lounge access when traveling internationally are the biggest reasons to have it.
Old Sep 3, 09, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Ah -- I didn't realize the difference between calendar and program years. Looking back at the email when they told me I had Silver status, it was early January, so they must have given me status a little after Jan 1. That makes sense now.

Also, now I know I only have until December 31st to make Gold. I thought I had until Feb 28th. I'll make sure I get it in time.

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 3, 09, 5:30 pm

Note that many airlines work on a similar calendar setup. Though some have completely different qualification and requalification rules. But then this is one of many reasons FlyerTalk is invaluable.

You said you're fairly certain you'll make gold by November. If you're close, that's what a simple mileage run is for. Or take advantage of one of the promos going on right now that will get you extra preferred miles. There are several.
Old Sep 6, 09, 4:47 am

Programs: US *G
also, if you get close to the 50k needed for gold, you have a time period (a few weeks after january 1 2010 i believe) to purchase extra "miles" to reach that gold status. from what i recall, you don't actually get any miles, but based on how many short you are of 50k, you can purchase that higher status...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: