FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Will US match the Double Qualifying Mile promotion? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/991202-will-us-match-double-qualifying-mile-promotion.html)

kimisafin Sep 2, 2009 6:31 pm

Will US match the Double Qualifying Mile promotion?

AA and UA have launched their Fall/Winter DQM promotions,how will US match this,let's see.

Renard Sep 2, 2009 9:21 pm

Three hours and no discussion on the topic--here on Flyertalk!....this is very telling about US and elite/potential elite flying.

MichaelColey Sep 2, 2009 9:28 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Grand Slam is all they do.

AZJIM Sep 2, 2009 10:07 pm

Quick ways to earn status?

I just took a job at my company that will force me to do a lot of flying. I want to try to earn elite status as quick at I can. Dividend Miles is probably going to be the program I'm going to earn in so I want to know best ways to earn status fast.

The double miles promotions sound good, I hope US does something like that as well. Is Grand Slam anything that could help me get to status?

Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm new to this stuff.

1KHI Sep 2, 2009 10:13 pm

I hope not, but I suspect it's going to match soon.

kimisafin Sep 2, 2009 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by AZJIM (Post 12323874)
I just took a job at my company that will force me to do a lot of flying. I want to try to earn elite status as quick at I can. Dividend Miles is probably going to be the program I'm going to earn in so I want to know best ways to earn status fast.

The double miles promotions sound good, I hope US does something like that as well. Is Grand Slam anything that could help me get to status?

oh,man,seems you just missed the Budget Prom,bad luck you are, the prom ended on Aug 31,http://www.usairways.com/awa/profile...promocode=BG09
it allows you try silver preferred status for 90 days,u should be here earlier,just hope US will catch the others soon:p

ArizonaGuy Sep 3, 2009 12:21 am

Promos, promos, promos - anything to get people spending money on the airline.

Like buying miles - the 100% bonus ended and has been replaced with up to 5000 preferred miles (1000 preferred for every 10K purchased). Still doing the double preferred thing for new club members, up to 10K. The grand slam will only get you 4000 preferred miles if you manage at least 12 hits.

I'm happy with *G status on US. I'm going to work on AA runs for OW status for the remainder of the year, and to top up my growing AA mile count.

xanthuos Sep 3, 2009 2:56 am

Originally Posted by AZJIM (Post 12323874)

You JUST missed a promo that would have been great for you. Until August 31st, they were offering Trial Preferred Silver Status (normally $200) for free. You simply had to fly 10 segments or 7500 miles on US metal in 90 days to lock in Silver until Feb 2011, or if you flew more, you could achieve higher status. A shame you missed it!

masonuc Sep 3, 2009 7:36 am

I hope not, and don't think they will. If they do this I prefer they hold off until January 1. Two Double PQM promotions in the same year will mean a huge influx of elites and upgrades will dry up. Elite status is zero sum (at least as far as upgrade).

That said... one thing I like about what United did here is they allowed previously booked flights to count. I hope US Air does that next time. I understand the purpose of the promo is to spur "new" reservations but why penalize people that book ahead?

epiding Sep 3, 2009 7:53 am

US being lame

AA has double EQM, UA has now double EQM and double EQS. Delta has rollover EQM program. US has nothing... grandslam doesnt count, please.

there is definitely no advantage to flying US in the fall whenever other, esp sister Star UA, offers such promotions. And UA offers more e500s, more CR1s, and more SWUs if you fly them more - while US has no such instrument-based incentive perks. (for those who argue US has complimentary upgrades - I ask you : "can you sponsor someone else's itinerary with an upgrade without using miles?" no. but on UA you can)

C'mon US, throw us a bone to come back and fly you!!

masonuc Sep 3, 2009 8:00 am

I don't see the point, really, of fall/winter double miles programs -- from the airlines perspective. If you have established your "go to" airline for status for 2009, you are unlikely to switch for fall/winter because of a double EQM plan that lasts 3.5 months. Sure there are exceptions -- lots of travel in that time period, already hit top level on one airline, etc. But it seems the payoff for airlines is much better to do this in Spring when people are still "free agents" for the year.

geo1005 Sep 3, 2009 11:05 am

FWIW, LH has a EQM promo right now as well.

And given the decline in business travel, I suspect this is less a case of airlines trying to poach other airline's elites or generate new elites as it is an attempt to maintain the current numbers of elites on their own rosters.

While there will be a few people who will use the EQM promos to gain new status, most will end up using the promo to keep what they have.

And I do hope US offers one as well. :D

likestheaction Sep 10, 2009 11:57 am

They better be or I'm jumping ship to united. With at least a couple west coast trips remaining this year i think i could get premier in addition to being already qualified for us silver this year. Is united any better? It seems everyone and there mother have silver, and although i've had some good upgrades recently (PIT-LAS), it just doesn't seem worth it anymore...

lta

ArizonaGuy Sep 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by likestheaction (Post 12360396)
They better be or I'm jumping ship to united. With at least a couple west coast trips remaining this year i think i could get premier in addition to being already qualified for us silver this year. Is united any better? It seems everyone and there mother have silver, and although i've had some good upgrades recently (PIT-LAS), it just doesn't seem worth it anymore...

lta

You should be trying for gold, unless you expect to fly UA next year and want access to E+. Or do an MR and go for gold/1P on UA.

likestheaction Sep 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Its a bit of a stretch to reach gold this year. I have 34K now, and maybe 10K more from west trips, i'd be forced to MR, which i don't really do.