Do I need to carry USAir Club Card?

Old Sep 2, 09, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Do I need to carry USAir Club Card?

We're flying from BNA-PHL-Lisbon, taking TAP to CDG then returning from CDG-PHL-BNA. We're in Envoy and I'm USAir Plat. I usually carry my USAir Club card when I travel but I'd like to limit what I carry and was wondering if I could skip it on this trip. I'm bringing my USAir Plat card in case my Star Gold status didn't get applied to the flight on TAP. I also have PriorityPass but didn't know if there would be any point in carrying that either.

They should be able to check my club membership from my BP correct? Is the club at CDG accessible as we're envoy?

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 09, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Lets put it this way. If you're denied acces to a lounge which you could have gotten into if you had your priority pass card, how will you feel then about your decision to leave a one ounce plastic card at home?
Old Sep 2, 09, 9:33 am
Original Poster

True but it's still nice to pare things down if possible. I was likely going to carry my PP.
Old Sep 2, 09, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Take it with you, and leave something else at home instead.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:18 pm

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
<Affected French accent>

"it's wafer thin"
Old Sep 2, 09, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP (from US CP); SPG Plat; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by sgmidf View Post
We're flying from BNA-PHL-Lisbon, taking TAP to CDG then returning from CDG-PHL-BNA. We're in Envoy and I'm USAir Plat. I usually carry my USAir Club card when I travel but I'd like to limit what I carry and was wondering if I could skip it on this trip. I'm bringing my USAir Plat card in case my Star Gold status didn't get applied to the flight on TAP......
On this trip, 3 airport lounges (PHL, LIS and CDG) would be useful to you.

At PHL, you can use the Envoy departure lounge, since you're flying Envoy - no US Club card needed. On the return, flying Envoy lets you use the other US Clubs at PHL - again, without need of the US Club card.

There are 2 relatively new *A lounges in LIS and CDG, both open to *A Gold (here's where your US Plat card matters for entrance, and you mentioned you're bringing that card. Some of the European lounge gatekeepers are strict about enforcing the *G card rule, and it doesn't matter to them whether they can see your *G status on the BP )

Have a good trip, sans US Club card

PS: I empty my wallet of unnecessary stuff before I leave on a trip too!
Old Sep 2, 09, 4:45 pm

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
It's sad that in this day of electronic ticketing and even electronic boarding passes that a small piece of plastic is still necessary. I'm sure it's because there's no "profit potential" to go totally electronic.
Old Sep 2, 09, 5:15 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tucker501 View Post
It's sad that in this day of electronic ticketing and even electronic boarding passes that a small piece of plastic is still necessary. I'm sure it's because there's no "profit potential" to go totally electronic.
IIRC one of the times I renewed my membership they told me that I could just present my BP, if my new card hadn't come yet, and they could us that pull up my club membership from that. It certainly isn't advertised but it seems possible if necessary. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old Sep 2, 09, 6:26 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I never carry my club card. You can just tell them your FF# and they look it up in just a second. I do carry my status card because overseas lounges can be difficult without proof of *G status.
Old Sep 3, 09, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ*G, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Agreed. I never carry my US Air lounge card, just my Plat card for *G status - the most important one IMO.
Old Sep 3, 09, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Insiderdude View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Agreed. I never carry my US Air lounge card, just my Plat card for *G status - the most important one IMO.
Put the important cards in my wallet.

Have a pocket in my briefcase where I keep all other cards; airline, hotel rental car, etc. The airline/travel/hospitality industry is populated my poorly paid and over worked people. Why suffer just because you hit the wrong person on the wrong day.

Have all of your cards. Saved me a lot of pain over the years.
Old Sep 4, 09, 6:18 am

Programs: AA PRO (but always US in my heart), HH Gold
Originally Posted by orfflyer View Post
"it's wafer thin"
My first thought as well! ^
Old Sep 4, 09, 8:14 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
I have my club membership number memorized, (it is different than your FF #). I used that for many years and the staff often commented on how much easier that was - key in the club #, quick look at the BP and you're in. Recently however, (past six months) I have been asked to show my card at every domestic club I have entered - even when I offer my club # and BP as an alternative. Apparently, they just upgraded the magnetic strip scanners so they can now swipe the card. I expect the card insistence is likely because it is easier to swipe than type.
Old Sep 4, 09, 10:46 am

Programs: Dividend Miles GP; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Silver
I have entered the club in CLT without a card (either because it was lost or, recently, because I re-joined and have not received my card yet). I just gave the lady at the desk my name and Dividend Miles # and that was all it took.
Old Sep 6, 09, 4:27 am

Programs: US *G
i have never needed my club card to get into a usairways club, just my boarding pass and having them look up my ff #. and since the us gold card is much more valuable for getting into any foreign lounges, i've never bothered to carry my club card with me either...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: