Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to keep US DM from not expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
How to keep US DM from not expiring?

Is there a thread on this like UA MP?
Is there anything other than idine program?
Can you buy GCs with any resturant to get idine points?
Also, you can buy miles, how long do they take to post?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:28 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Miles purchased generally post immediately. You have until Saturday to buy miles with 100% bonus / double miles so if you can redeem for an award soon, that might be best.

In the shopping mall you can find iTunes for 99 cents. Takes a few weeks from what I understand.

You could also go to points.com and swap 30 miles from Dividend Miles into 1 Delta SkyMile. Awful rate but 30 miles is worth it to keep an account active.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:13 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I've stopped flying on US for the most part, but still have a substantial mileage balance. The easiest way I've found to ensure my account remains safe is to use US as my airline program for Hilton stays from time to time, usually once every 6 months or so. Just did that, so I'm safe for another 18 months. That's one way to go.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Search should uncover several posts on this topic.

Buying a iTune or two, through the shopping mall, is cheap, but it takes a couple of weeks to post and is a bit flaky.

I use my Avis rentals to keep several accounts active - almost any program can be selected for the 200-250 mile credit, I assume US is among them (though I have had to use Avis for any of my family's US accounts)
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:29 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Keeping them from not expiring is easy...just don't do anything for a few months

(sorry but somebody had to respond to the thread title...)
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Miles purchased generally post immediately. You have until Saturday to buy miles with 100% bonus / double miles so if you can redeem for an award soon, that might be best.

In the shopping mall you can find iTunes for 99 cents. Takes a few weeks from what I understand.

You could also go to points.com and swap 30 miles from Dividend Miles into 1 Delta SkyMile. Awful rate but 30 miles is worth it to keep an account active.
How long does it take for the points.com transaction to post? Good to know for the next time...

Well, anyways since I needed to do something before 9-1-09 I just donated some miles, so now I have to make up another 500 miles to get an award...... of just choose coach.

Need to keep better track of these awards...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:36 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by frank_10b
How long does it take for the points.com transaction to post? Good to know for the next time...

Well, anyways since I needed to do something before 9-1-09 I just donated some miles, so now I have to make up another 500 miles to get an award...... of just choose coach.

Need to keep better track of these awards...
Two times I've done it - once to count as part of a promo, another to see if they'd screw up again (in my favor) like the first time - both posted immediately.

I think you can transfer at a similarly horrible ratio to AA as well. I've not set any other accounts up in points.com besides AA, DL and US so can't say what other awful rates there might be. But dumping 30 US miles is definitely worth it to keep an idle account from expiring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.