Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is US Airways policy towards mechanical delays and star gold?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
What is US Airways policy towards mechanical delays and star gold?

What does the coc say regarding 4+ hour delayes and star gold compensation?

During the delay, will meal voucher be offered or granted if I ask?

Is it best to ask for compensation from customer service at the airport, or wait and e-mail at a later date?

TIA
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The COC does not mention status.

US Airways will provide a food voucher to customers whose flights have been cancelled or delayed for four hours or more, during normal meal times, when the delay is not due to Air Traffic Control, weather, or other circumstances beyond US Airways’ control. The food voucher may be used at a restaurant in the airport or a hotel restaurant for customers who are also accommodated overnight. The value of the food voucher will vary according to whether it is for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

In the event of a delay or cancellation, overnight accommodations will be arranged by US Airways, at their expense, for customers at connecting points whose flights are delayed or cancelled because of circumstances within US Airways’ control for whom no alternate transportation is available.

Last edited by lougord99; Aug 7, 2009 at 9:52 am
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:00 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
This is all dependent on what the reason is for the delay. Weather and ATC delays do not count. If it's mechanical or something that is "within" the control of the airline, then they are obligated to adhere to their own terms.

Carry a copy of their published terms of transportation with you and demand compensation in accordance with their own rules when things go south.

http://www.usairways.com/common/reso...f_carriage.pdf
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In my experience US has been good with $5/10 meal vouchers during long delays. My most recent data points are:

1/3/08: Charlotte. CLT-RDU canceled, rebooked 4+ hours later, $5 meal voucher as a United Premier.

5/25/08: San Diego. SAN-PHX canceled, rebooked on SAN-LAS-PHX 2 hours later, $10 meal voucher as a United Premier.

Luckily since then things have gotten better or I'd have more stories for you
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
During my 6 hour delay in PHL late 07 they didnt offer the meal voucher we had to ask. Then again that was a long time ago in airplane years. I was US Silver at the time
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Well, I've found that I usually have to ask for a voucher. It's been many years since a voucher was voluntarily offered. I did have one HP agent about 12 years ago give me a dinner voucher during a weather delay because I was NICE to him (all the other EWR bound passengers were yelling at him). He later remembered me and gave me an F upgrade on another flight.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by formeraa
Well, I've found that I usually have to ask for a voucher. It's been many years since a voucher was voluntarily offered. I did have one HP agent about 12 years ago give me a dinner voucher during a weather delay because I was NICE to him (all the other EWR bound passengers were yelling at him). He later remembered me and gave me an F upgrade on another flight.
Meanwhile, I wonder how many passengers who misconnected were sent to a Motel 6 that night.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:37 pm

i was on PHL-CLT flight that took off an hour after it was supposed to have landed due to several issues...

- issue boarding since each passenger's ticket was getting rejected
- put the wrong fuel load on the plane
- mechanical issue on the control panel
- crew forgot to empty the lavatories

they announced that "some" connections would be missed but not sure which and then later announced that "all connections would be missed. they said that once passengers arrived in charlotte, they would not guarantee that any vouchers or compensation would be given out and if they wanted anything they'd have to stay at PHL (but their bags would be going to CLT)

i hadn't heard of that rule before and passengers didn't know what to do (if they should stay and see if they can get a direct the next morning or go to CLT so they are at least partway to their final desitination and at least with their luggage, etc.) it was crazy and completely due to US Airways ground crew, maintenance, and US infrastructure/scheduling's fault. i thought i read in the rules that a delay of > 4hrs means you are compensated for flight up to a max of $400 or $800 or something? and why weren't people asking to be booked on a different carrier's flight to their destination or why once arriving late in charlotte and missing their connection would they not be allowed to get any vouchers or a hotel voucher?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. So, I might have been owed a meal voucher (which I didn't receive). And I should not expect any type of compensation for the delay? There doesn't seem to be anything in the COC that would signify I am technically owed anything.

The reason for the delay was not weather and was most certainly mechanical.

Originally Posted by 5.9LITRE
i hadn't heard of that rule before and passengers didn't know what to do (if they should stay and see if they can get a direct the next morning or go to CLT so they are at least partway to their final desitination and at least with their luggage, etc.) it was crazy and completely due to US Airways ground crew, maintenance, and US infrastructure/scheduling's fault. i thought i read in the rules that a delay of > 4hrs means you are compensated for flight up to a max of $400 or $800 or something? and why weren't people asking to be booked on a different carrier's flight to their destination or why once arriving late in charlotte and missing their connection would they not be allowed to get any vouchers or a hotel voucher?
You are referring to IDB compensation. That is not the case in my situation.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:46 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 100% Green
The reason for the delay was not weather and was most certainly mechanical.
If this is the case, then you were entitled to food vouchers according to section 9.6.

US Airways will provide a food voucher to customers whose flights have been cancelled or delayed for
four hours or more, during normal meal times, when the delay is not due to Air Traffic Control, weather,
or other circumstances beyond US Airways’ control......
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
If this is the case, then you were entitled to food vouchers according to section 9.6.

US Airways will provide a food voucher to customers whose flights have been cancelled or delayed for
four hours or more, during normal meal times, when the delay is not due to Air Traffic Control, weather,
or other circumstances beyond US Airways’ control......
Am I able to request any other type of compensation? I know United typically compensates (although it's not policy) for delays 4+ hours, probably a $250 voucher. Any such luck with US?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:51 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the letter of their CoC, no. A carefully worded letter never hurts, but there's no recourse for you when they offer no additional compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.