Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many miles for this *A award?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:15 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
How many miles for this *A award?

SFO-YVR UA first
YVR-HKG AC business
HKG-ZRH LX first

ZRH-HKG LX first
HKG-NRT NH business
NRT-SFO NH first

So, is this considered North America to Europe first class = 125,000 miles?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:47 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
If you can get them to ticket it that way, then yes. That would be a 125K North America to Europe award.

I have read elsewhere here that if get an agent to do this and you route to Europe via the Pacific you must also return via the Pacific. Your itinerary clearly does so I think you'd be set. Otherwise it'd be a RTW trip.

Hooray for US having such liberal interpretation of, spotty enforcement of, or lack of rules in this.

And if you get charged too many miles - you might consider paying it if you have it and then emailing customer service. I was recently charged 120K for a C award to SYD - probably because the return was via ICN. I simply emailed and within a day had the excess 10K per ticket returned to me.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
It really depends on the agent you speak to. I think "technically" this would be considered a RTW award ... however you may get it ticketed as an Asia via Europe award or something similar.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I don't think you will be able to do this. Most agents will tell you that the itinerary requires two different tickets. Note that backtracking is not permitted. Now, you can definitely do an Asia award via Europe, provided that you fly the same direction (e.g. via the Atlantic to Europe and then to Asia) both inbound and outbound.

About a year ago, I managed to get an F award ORD - ICN - SIN - LHR - ORD for only 120K because the ticketing agent made an error since I was connecting in SIN and thus that would have raised the award level to 160K. Though my reservation was honored, a supervisor made a note in the record that if I attempted to make any changes, they would charge me 160K. The best thing about that particular itinerary was that I got to fly the Singapore A380 in Suites Class (I was ticketed in F on a 744 before the equipment changed to 380).

Last edited by fly747first; Jul 24, 2009 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
If you can get them to ticket it that way, then yes. That would be a 125K North America to Europe award.

I have read elsewhere here that if get an agent to do this and you route to Europe via the Pacific you must also return via the Pacific. Your itinerary clearly does so I think you'd be set. Otherwise it'd be a RTW trip.

Hooray for US having such liberal interpretation of, spotty enforcement of, or lack of rules in this.

And if you get charged too many miles - you might consider paying it if you have it and then emailing customer service. I was recently charged 120K for a C award to SYD - probably because the return was via ICN. I simply emailed and within a day had the excess 10K per ticket returned to me.
No, they have to go by the highest mileage award level involved even if the passenger just connects there, in this case Hong Kong (North Asia) is 120K and Europe is 125K, so the latter will apply being the highest.

Also, you were returned the miles not because of where you were connecting, but because they really selected the wrong award level: South Pacific/Australia Business is 110K while North Asia/South Korea Business is 90K.

Last edited by fly747first; Jul 24, 2009 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:56 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by fly747first
No, they have to go by the highest mileage award level involved even if the passenger just connects there, in this case Hong Kong (North Asia) is 120K and Europe is 1map 25K, so the latter will apply being the highest.
This sounds right.

As to the comment that this might be considered RTW, it only involves crossing one ocean, so I don't think it would be RTW. Of course, I have limited experience booking awards with US, so I could very well be wrong.

As to backtracking, I don't believe this itinerary involves any backtracking.

Thanks for all of your comments. They are greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.