100% mileage bonus for purchased miles

 
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:24 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 850
Lightbulb 100% mileage bonus for purchased miles

https://www.usairways.com/awa/conten.../buymiles.aspx

If you can score it on a partner, biz class to Europe (80k miles) is effectively ~$700.

Good way to top off your accounts. Could this mean a devaluation is around the corner?
gsforfree is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:23 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,613
Originally Posted by gsforfree
https://www.usairways.com/awa/conten.../buymiles.aspx

If you can score it on a partner, biz class to Europe (80k miles) is effectively ~$700.

Good way to top off your accounts. Could this mean a devaluation is around the corner?
Wow. If that isn't a sign to burn US miles while you still can, I don't know what is.
yellow77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:32 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 111
This is a good way for US to generate much needed cash and allow for folks to bank some miles while the offer's hot.

$700's excellent to score a Business Class fare.
ChiefRead is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:24 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by gsforfree
https://www.usairways.com/awa/conten.../buymiles.aspx

If you can score it on a partner, biz class to Europe (80k miles) is effectively ~$700.

Good way to top off your accounts. Could this mean a devaluation is around the corner?
how did you get this number?

40000milesx$0.025/mile=$1000

plus you have to pay process fee ($30). And some people even say you have to pay extra 7.5% for federal tax.
nonactin is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:28 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 850
Originally Posted by nonactin
how did you get this number?

40000milesx$0.025/mile=$1000

plus you have to pay process fee ($30). And some people even say you have to pay extra 7.5% for federal tax.
My apologies, based it off my own mileage balance. That would be the actual number if starting from 0...

Even so, is 1K + fees for a business fare a bad deal?
gsforfree is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:26 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 141
They need cash, bad -- and they're willing to gamble that you either won't be able to use the miles, or the miles will be devalued. Since the promo lasts for 25 more days and I just transferred SPG miles to get the 50% bonus, I will wait a while to see if they sweeten the deal.
okay2go is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:16 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,094
I'll only be doing this to burn as fast as I buy for very near-term travel and to zero out accounts.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:11 pm
  #8  
Formerly known as fsa_ea
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Posts: 2,232
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'll only be doing this to burn as fast as I buy for very near-term travel and to zero out accounts.
I'm sure this has been discussed a gillion times, but if you

1) bought miles,

2) immediately redeemed on a partner airline for travel 11 months from now, and

3) US Air liquidated in 3 months,

would you award ticket be any good?
The Mileage Millionaire is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:40 pm
  #9  
ned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Programs: MTD pass holder
Posts: 1,142
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I'm sure this has been discussed a gillion times, but if you

1) bought miles,

2) immediately redeemed on a partner airline for travel 11 months from now, and

3) US Air liquidated in 3 months,

would you award ticket be any good?
Maybe, but probably not!
ned is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:01 pm
  #10  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,120
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
would you award ticket be any good?
Someone here asked someone at Lufthansa this very question and was told that as long as the reservation was ticketed, it would be honored.

I guess if you're worried about US going under, you'd just not want any connecting US segments in the reservation, as that would complicate matters.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:05 pm
  #11  
Formerly known as fsa_ea
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Posts: 2,232
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Someone here asked someone at Lufthansa this very question and was told that as long as the reservation was ticketed, it would be honored.

I guess if you're worried about US going under, you'd just not want any connecting US segments in the reservation, as that would complicate matters.
By a person "at Lufthansa", you mean an employee of Lufthansa?

Definitely no US segments!
The Mileage Millionaire is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:55 pm
  #12  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,120
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
By a person "at Lufthansa", you mean an employee of Lufthansa?
No, it was a person sitting on a park bench, on the Lufthansa campus near FRA.

Yes, of course. I'll be more specific: Someone from FT reported calling Lufthansa and asking an agent, essentially, "What would happen if I had a frequent flier ticket on Lufthansa, issued by US Airways, and US goes out of business?" The answer was that LH would honor it.

Value that reported second-hand information at something close to what you paid for it.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:16 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,094
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I'm sure this has been discussed a gillion times, but if you

1) bought miles,

2) immediately redeemed on a partner airline for travel 11 months from now, and

3) US Air liquidated in 3 months,

would you award ticket be any good?
You would be at the mercy of the operating airlines on that award ticket and that is not a position I would want to find myself in given the other Star Alliance carriers are also financially hurting and would want to get something upfront rather than mostly nothing from the ticket-issuing carrier.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:29 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 850
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I'm sure this has been discussed a gillion times, but if you

1) bought miles,

2) immediately redeemed on a partner airline for travel 11 months from now, and

3) US Air liquidated in 3 months,

would you award ticket be any good?
You would follow the terms of the operating carrier. When you redeem your miles, the ticket is issued and the operating carrier is "paid."
gsforfree is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:38 pm
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,094
Originally Posted by gsforfree
You would follow the terms of the operating carrier. When you redeem your miles, the ticket is issued and the operating carrier is "paid."
The operating carrier is free to do whatever the operating carrier wants to do when the ticket-issuing carrier has gone under/into liquidation, but keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the payment that is part of ticket settlement occurs after the flight is flown. In other words the operating carrier is most likely going to find that they go mostly unpaid if flying passengers on tickets issued by a carrier that has gone under.
GUWonder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.