Drink Cart Removed...

 

Old Jun 8, 09, 10:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Drink Cart Removed...

I was on us airways express flight 3051 from DCA to SDF last night and the drink cart had been removed which was pretty disappointing to me. Only water and coffee was served from the front. It was a smaller plane but it was a scheduled 1 hour and 47 minute flight. I understand on very short flights not having a full service beverages, but on a flight that approaches two hours not having full beverage service seems very odd to me. Sounds like the carts were removed to save weight like many other items on US airways flights. Any thoughts on this situation or what to write to US? Thanks in advance
cm5186 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 10:54 am
  #2  
ToJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LHR and PHF/ORF
Programs: UA Gold, HiltonHonors Diamond
Posts: 87
Do you know if this was a "planned" removal of the cart? I was on US1848 from MSP to PHL and we pushed back late due to the fact that catering had stripped but not loaded the drinks. We had a 7:00 AM scheduled departure on Saturday so the crew could not track down anybody from catering. They borrowed what they needed from the plane parked next to ours which turned into a 40 minute exercise...
ToJ is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 11:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Posts: 1,462
It isn't because of weight. Catering is in short supply of carts and the company that supplies them hasn't been able to fufill its order. Republic and Chautauqua have been trying to use our own carts that we use for charters but there aren't enough to go around on all of our flights. I had on last week that only had 1 half cart onboard and all of the spares were removed. Once the new carts are delivered then it shouldn't be a problem.
cwe84 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 12:14 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 2,990
Originally Posted by cm5186 View Post
I was on us airways express flight 3051 from DCA to SDF last night and the drink cart had been removed which was pretty disappointing to me. Only water and coffee was served from the front. It was a smaller plane but it was a scheduled 1 hour and 47 minute flight. I understand on very short flights not having a full service beverages, but on a flight that approaches two hours not having full beverage service seems very odd to me. Sounds like the carts were removed to save weight like many other items on US airways flights. Any thoughts on this situation or what to write to US? Thanks in advance
If you can't sell drinks on board, the next best thing I guess (from US's viewpoint) is just not to be able to serve anything. Removing the cart is the easiest way I know to accomplish this goal. When I fly US, I expect nothing but transportation. Everything else is gravy to me. Sorry about the lack of drinks, at least they had water .
radonc1 is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 7:43 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Napa, CA
Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 5,695
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
If you can't sell drinks on board, the next best thing I guess (from US's viewpoint) is just not to be able to serve anything. Removing the cart is the easiest way I know to accomplish this goal. When I fly US, I expect nothing but transportation. Everything else is gravy to me. Sorry about the lack of drinks, at least they had water .
You are US Airways' perfect customer - rock bottom expectations!

However, since US Airways doesn't sell non-alcoholic drinks, that's no longer an excuse for not having a cart with a full beverage service on a flight that is nearly two hours in length. Neither is "at least they had water."

I think cwe84 was clear that there is a cart shortage. Otherwise, a full beverage service should be provided.
me4yankees is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 10:28 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: On the Road
Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Posts: 486
Drink Cart

The GA should have made a pre-boarding announcement of such, allowing one to buy something in-terminal. They did that in PIT years back, when they had downsized to serving a "snack pack" instead of lunch, before cutting everything out completely....to advise everyone to buy something now because they were going to be disappointed with what they were going to get later.
dunderhead is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 11:03 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 2,990
Originally Posted by me4yankees View Post
However, since US Airways doesn't sell non-alcoholic drinks, that's no longer an excuse for not having a cart with a full beverage service on a flight that is nearly two hours in length. Neither is "at least they had water."
My point exactly. Since they cannot make any money on selling drinks, they lose money on every can of soda or bottle of juice they open. By not having the cart on board, they save the cost of supplying a non-reimbursed item, namely non-alcoholic drinks. I wonder if the flight was an AM or very early afternoon flight where very few alcoholic beverages would normally be sold, and the loss of alcohol sales would be more than compensated by the savings made by not serving non-alcoholic drinks?
radonc1 is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 11:13 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Posts: 1,462
Hellllllllooooooo earth to you people that cant read. We are having a cart shortage due to a supplier not fufilling the order in time. We are sorry for the inconvience. Its not a cost saving measure it a cover someone elses mistake and dealing with it. Do you understand now.
cwe84 is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 11:33 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Posts: 9,255
Originally Posted by cwe84 View Post
Hellllllllooooooo earth to you people that cant read. We are having a cart shortage due to a supplier not fufilling the order in time. We are sorry for the inconvience. Its not a cost saving measure it a cover someone elses mistake and dealing with it. Do you understand now.
As a customer, not my problem.

Moreover, how hard is it to fabricate a drink cart? I know a few CNC shops that could probably bang them out by the thousands (realizing of course that someone probably has to certify that it's an airworthy drink cart and all, which is probably why reliable suppliers don't enter the business.....)
ClueByFour is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 1:34 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: mystic island, nj, USA
Posts: 2,377
Originally Posted by ClueByFour View Post
As a customer, not my problem.

Moreover, how hard is it to fabricate a drink cart? I know a few CNC shops that could probably bang them out by the thousands (realizing of course that someone probably has to certify that it's an airworthy drink cart and all, which is probably why reliable suppliers don't enter the business.....)
B-I-N-G-O!!!

We have a winner!

Hold your cards!


While I truly appreciate knowing the reason why, it doesn't alleviate the issue of yet another service breakdown by US Airways.

While the operational and customer service at US Airways is much improved, there is still significant room for improvement. Issues like this one expose that fact in bold relief.

A breakdown is an opportunity to repair, redesign or simplify a currently flawed business process. I think it's important for customers to call these issues to the attention of US Airways as they can't fix what they don't know is broken.

However Clue's point is spot on. The operational and customer service challenges at US Airways are NOT the responsibility of the customer to understand or overlook. Customers purchase a ticket that in theory includes a beverage service. The described/contracted service was NOT delivered and from a customer perspective that's the beginning and the end of it.
PineyBob is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 2:50 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Napa, CA
Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 5,695
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
My point exactly. Since they cannot make any money on selling drinks, they lose money on every can of soda or bottle of juice they open. By not having the cart on board, they save the cost of supplying a non-reimbursed item, namely non-alcoholic drinks.
LOL! Even I don't think US is so bad/cheap that they would refuse to put carts and drinks on planes to save money and I am definitely not a fan of this airline.

AFAIK, flights of this length are supposed to have a full beverage service. I am sure cwe84 can answer that.

I believe the cart shortage is the reason. And like Clue and PB said, this is a US/US Express customer service issue that needs to be addressed accordingly.
me4yankees is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 5:34 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2009
Programs: CO Plat, US CP, HH Diamond, MR Gold,BW Diamond
Posts: 468
Do some of you US haters truly think that US Airways would willingly and without hesitation send out flights scheduled for drink service without carts?? As as been previously stated, there is a cart shortage from the manufacturer/provider which is something that US Airways cannot control. I'm sure there are not that many vendors that an airline can go to to get such carts.. If they could get they carts, I'm sure they would be placed on the planes. At least though as was stated there was a coffee and water service provided which to me would be an acceptable substitute for a circumstance beyond the airline's control. Now if absoltutely nothing was offered that would be another story but that obviously is not the case here. Also I'd be surprised if other airlines weren't experiencing the same cart shortage as these vendors I'm sure provide their products to multiple airlines.
FrequentPlaneTraveler is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 5:52 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CLT
Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Posts: 3,441
Originally Posted by FrequentPlaneTraveler View Post
As as been previously stated, there is a cart shortage from the manufacturer/provider which is something that US Airways cannot control.

Well, one should know what is the life expectancy of those carts and have sufficient stock in case of sourcing problems. Granted there is no silver bullet as we all know that inventory is an expensive thing to have. What I would like to know (and we will probably never find out) is how many weeks can an airline go w/o new carts being delivered.
iztok is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 6:06 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MCO
Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Posts: 8,687
It's US Airways, I think a simple trip to Wal-Mart for an Igloo Ccooler or two would fit the bill. This is US, i certainly agree with the statement that if you set your expectations low, you will not be as disappointed.
Crazyhotelguy is offline  
Old Jun 9, 09, 6:31 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: US Airways Chairmans Preferred
Posts: 148
How is there a cart shortage? Did someone take them or were they so worn out that they were falling apart?
deltasky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread