Wiki Posts
Search

New BOB Snack Options

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
New BOB Snack Options

I haven't seen this here yet, so a quick update on cabin service...

Beginning June 1, USAirways is adding 7 snack items as BOB on all domestic mainline flights over 1 hour, excluding Shuttle. These will be in addition to the snack boxes and meals that are currently sold on longer flights, so those flights will have these snacks in addition to the current items. The goal is to expand these offerings to Express flights within 90 days, but no firm date for Express yet.

The new items are:

Maruchan Instant Lunch (Chicken Noodle soup cup): $3
Quaker Oatmeal Express - Golden Brown Sugar: $3
Mini-Oreo Go-Pak: $3
Original Pringles: $3
Twizzlers Strawberry Twists: $3
Planters Daybreak Blend Apple Cinnamon Trail Mix: $4
Blue Diamond Roasted & Salted Almonds: $5

Enjoy!
Old May 30, 2009, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
now if only they would do something in first.
Old May 30, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Ramen Noodles and HOT water to mix with--yea- i smell a disaster waiting to happen in the event of unexpected turbulence, especially when the F/A has to run to the front or back to get the hot water and bring it back up front.
Old May 30, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by USFreak
Ramen Noodles and HOT water to mix with--yea- i smell a disaster waiting to happen in the event of unexpected turbulence, especially when the F/A has to run to the front or back to get the hot water and bring it back up front.
How would that differ from when they run to the front or back or serve hot coffee?
Old May 30, 2009, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
How would that differ from when they run to the front or back or serve hot coffee?
From my understanding, the coffee is served from the pot that is on the cart (most of the time). I am told that a pot will not be provided with hot water for the ramen which will require the F/A to run back and forth. Galleywench/flight62/tahitigrl could clarify........
Old May 30, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Ramen noodles? LOL

At least they're catching up to the other carriers with regard to "premium" snack sales. However, for example, DL still offers complimentary Biscoffs and peanuts, plus BOB snacks.
Old May 30, 2009, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by USFreak
From my understanding, the coffee is served from the pot that is on the cart (most of the time). I am told that a pot will not be provided with hot water for the ramen which will require the F/A to run back and forth. Galleywench/flight62/tahitigrl could clarify........
We have always had a hot water pitcher on top of the cart in addition to coffee pots. We use it for hot tea and decaf coffee. In the event we encounter constant light turbulence on a flight we do take the coffee and hot water pitcher off the cart and only offer cold beverages.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:16 pm

Ramen noodles in a cup are served by various airlines over the Pacific as a mid-flight snack - UA and AC, for instance. I don't really see why it would be a logistical challenge for US to do the same on domestic flights.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
We all know the other junk is not good for you, but sometimes we forget how bad the ramen noodles are! Look particularly at the saturated fat and sodium.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...hicken-i113046

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 serving (64.4 g)
Calories 290
Calories from Fat 108
Total Fat 12.0g 18%
Saturated Fat 6.0g 30%
Cholesterol 3mg 1%
Sodium 1190mg 50%
Total Carbohydrates 38.0g 13%
Dietary Fiber 2.0g 8%
Sugars 2.0g
Protein 7.0
Old May 30, 2009, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
We have always had a hot water pitcher on top of the cart in addition to coffee pots. We use it for hot tea and decaf coffee. In the event we encounter constant light turbulence on a flight we do take the coffee and hot water pitcher off the cart and only offer cold beverages.

I stand corrected.....thanks for chiming in GalleyWench!
Old May 31, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by me4yankees

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 serving (64.4 g)
Calories 290
Calories from Fat 108
Total Fat 12.0g 18%
Saturated Fat 6.0g 30%
Cholesterol 3mg 1%
Sodium 1190mg 50%
Total Carbohydrates 38.0g 13%
Dietary Fiber 2.0g 8%
Sugars 2.0g
Protein 7.0
Thats about the same as any bowl of soup... More fat for cream soups, and more sodium for just about every soup. No one really thinks soup to be bad for you. Its all about perspective.
Old May 31, 2009, 9:35 am

Thats about the same as any bowl of soup... More fat for cream soups, and more sodium for just about every soup. No one really thinks soup to be bad for you. Its all about perspective.
It is about perspective. And mine is that when I think of instant ramen noodle "soup," I think of the cheapest, most unhealthy option available. And I guess that fits the business model that US is going for.
Old May 31, 2009, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by me4yankees
It is about perspective. And mine is that when I think of instant ramen noodle "soup," I think of the cheapest, most unhealthy option available. And I guess that fits the business model that US is going for.
Cheap, well thats certainly true... A generation (mine actually) of college students ate ramen for 4 years of their life. I still love them. LOL.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Cheap, well thats certainly true... A generation (mine actually) of college students ate ramen for 4 years of their life. I still love them. LOL.
Most of these snacks are geared to someone who has the metabolism of a college student. Why not offer something healthy as well, like dried fruit?
Old May 31, 2009, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Most of these snacks are geared to someone who has the metabolism of a college student. Why not offer something healthy as well, like dried fruit?
That is all I was really trying to say myself! Something a little more healthful would be nice. Of course, though, that would cost US a little more money than ramen noodles! LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.