Should've booked British Airways to London

Old May 14, 2009, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, US CP, HH Diamond, MR Gold,BW Diamond
Originally Posted by MNTEERFLYER
Why do posers insist on comparing airlines when they have experiences in different class levels?
My question would be (based on much of the lurking I've done on here) is why some people insist on comparing foreign carriers (BA, LH, SQ, etc. etc.) to domestic carriers? In most cases such as with the airlines I just mentioned, the experiences are going to be far superior to just about what any domestic airline can offer.

Originally Posted by Nicksta
BA is a true first-class act all the way around. If they are an option - I usually vote for them.

Based on my experiences and just from what I've read on here in the BA forum, BA is a good airline but I wouldn't say they are a "true first-class act all the way round". It seems to me like I see plenty of complaints and issues about BA posted on that forum.
Old May 15, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FrequentPlaneTraveler
My question would be (based on much of the lurking I've done on here) is why some people insist on comparing foreign carriers (BA, LH, SQ, etc. etc.) to domestic carriers? In most cases such as with the airlines I just mentioned, the experiences are going to be far superior to just about what any domestic airline can offer.
The reason is that many of the "domestic" (USA based) airlines and the foreirn carriers compete and fly the same routes. Out of PHL you have BA and US to/from London, US and AF to/from Paris, LH and US to/from Frankfurt. I think it is also a stretch to say that the experience is going to be far superior on the foreign based carriers. Having recently flown OS's cramped coach product (30" pitch in coach!) and IB's dated coach product across the Atlantic, I would be far happier taking CO's coach product with its superior IFE.
Old May 15, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
The reason is that many of the "domestic" (USA based) airlines and the foreirn carriers compete and fly the same routes. Out of PHL you have BA and US to/from London, US and AF to/from Paris, LH and US to/from Frankfurt. I think it is also a stretch to say that the experience is going to be far superior on the foreign based carriers. Having recently flown OS's cramped coach product (30" pitch in coach!) and IB's dated coach product across the Atlantic, I would be far happier taking CO's coach product with its superior IFE.
I agree. I think that the US coach product in the 330 is superior to LH coach on the 340. I've never been in C or F and understand it's entirely different but if I had the choice between US 330 Y and LH 340 Y I would take the US 330.
Old May 15, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
The response surprised me

I do not recall Flight62 making many or any posts like the last, maybe it was a bad day. While he/she made some valid and not so valid points we should cut some slack. While you may disagree with the response there is no need to dismiss the person making the response.
One point made was that USAirways is a cheap airline on this I agree. And suggested that if you want cheap you should not have high expectations and I agree. Now what defines cheap is individual from both a price and service delivery perspective. Because something is cheap does not make it bad nor should bad service be expected because it was cheap.
I for one do not use USAIR out of PHL for TALT service this is a choice I have made. I feeling as noted in other posts is there is better value from the other carriers serving PHL.
Another person asked why do we compare US to BA LH AF SQ etc, since we are comparing a domestic carrier to a International carrier. When I do this I am only comparing international products not the domestic product of any of the carriers. Therefore the comparison is valid especially when comparing BA LH and AF to US since they are competing directly on these routes out of PHL.
Everyone will make their choices for their own reasons.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
[QUOTE=flight62;11744027]
Originally Posted by pinkcat
I flew US TATL once before I started collecting BA miles and the experience was quite different, but then so was the price. /QUOTE]

People need to do homework!! They want cheap and want the world! You pay for what you get! We are a cheap ... airline. If you don't want that, go elsewhere. How many similar threads must go on and on about this. truth be told, the OP ticket was probably under $250...a price MANY on TA flight love to proudly announce to the flight crews.

I rather think you have not done your homework on this occasion, I should clarify for you, just in case it was lost in translation, the whole experience was different to my previous flights with BA and the price was too, it was significantly lower and that was my main consideration at the time.

I dont have a problem with US airways, I have 2 domestic flights booked in the summer, I appreciate that the FF programme operates in a different manner and that the First class I have booked does not allow lounge access.

my future TATL flights will be BA, as a British national and a BA sharholder with reasonable status, thats what one would expect surely. As I already stated the US airways PHL-LHR/LGW would be a 2nd emergency route home.

In future if you could read a post before unleashing the venom, I am sure many on here would appreciate it
Old May 15, 2009, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by flight62
For those of you that want info on USAir long haul flights I just completed a trip from PHL to Heathrow and it was a horrible experience. I was in coach, the food was yuck,

SUBJECTIVE

the airline staff were testy and rude.

WE ALL KNOW NO OTHER AIRLINE HAS TESTY AND RUDE CSA'S

I've flown British Airways for this flight before and upgraded to world traveller plus

UNLESS YOU ARE A FF OF US AIRWAYS, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO AN UPGRADE

where I had individual flight entertainment, frequent drinks, and decent service

ECONOMY OR ENVOY? SINCE YOU WERE NOT IN ENVOY, HOW DO YOU KNOW?? ENVOY HAS ALL THE THINGS YOU "CLAIM" THEY DO NOT. A FAT LIE ON YOUR PART!!

USAir

WHO??

charges for everything even the head phones for the silly movies that were shown, one was for kids and the other was a chick flick on weddings.

I PROMISE YOUR TICKET WAS PROBABLY INSANELY CHEAP <EXPECTING TYPICAL LIE REPLY>

I woke up in the early a.m and they were showing a program on horse vets, some guys arm was up a horses' butt. After that, they showed some other random program that comes on ABC.

IF YOU ARE SLEEPING, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU CARE?!

First class

US AIRWAYS DOESN'T OFFER FC, only BC!

seats looked comfy but there was no IFE and it did not seem worth it for me to upgrade 1,000 for a roundtrip.

WRONG!

I couldn't use points to upgrade because the flight was less than $1400 (or something like that).

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!

There is just no rhyme or reason for how USAir does business.

THERE IS NO RHYME OR REASON TO YOUR TOTAL LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT US AIRWAYS!

I have stopped flying as much for business and I wanted to get more points but next time I will skip the points for comfort.

PLEASE DO!

Another whiny thread with more holes than a donut!
Flew my first US F segment in a while yesterday (I was a Chairman's in 2006 and converted to AA on 1/2/07 and haven't looked back). It was paid F PHL-RDU. Despite the take-off line, a very pleasant flight with comfy new seats in F, very prompt pre-departure beverages and constant attention during the 55 minute flight. Not that it would take me away from AA but it did improve my opinion of US and my willingness to use them on short-haul flights up and down the east coast (where AA has a lousy schedule), especially now that paid F prices are down on some routes.

Flight 62, your comment reminded me exactly why I left US. US offers a generally lousy product and loses to most other domestic carriers, especially AA, on just about ever metric. But it was also the utter inconsistency in service. Yesterday I got a good US crew. I had forgot that the other half has attitudes like you just displayed in your post. Thank you for the perfect reminder to try and avoid US whenever possible.
Old May 16, 2009, 5:53 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by riversair
At least I have good seating! Look on the brightside, its much better than Aeroflot.
1. Not really relevant - but you are WRONG - Aeroflot is a very decent airline these days - with superb standards of service, especially in premium cabins (ground service is a different subject, but with a new terminal building at SVO coming soon, stuff should also improve soon).

2. Interesting: up to July 2008, the company I am working for had a BA/QF-only travel policy (plus AA on US domestic segments). My co-workers, who were not entitled to WTP/Club World were complaining on BA mile earning policy - 25%/non EQM on most Coach fares. In fact there was no way for a Coach flying folk to get any status whatsoever (the workaround was to join QF FF, which has better provisions for the Coach-only FF'ers). Now we have Star-only policy and looks like most of us are quite happy. I am happy as my BD*G FF program earns me 200% miles on Envoy flights and 300% miles on US domestic F-class flights. I can access US Airways Club, and the US Club Representatives are probable the best in the industry (they always confirm the gate/delay status, if any). And yes - in both Envoy/Fist my expectations are close to zero and normally I am pleasantly surprised Folks who fly in Coach are also quite happy (but yes - they miss free booze), as they get 100% mileage/EQM for most fares and finally can get status recognition. And by the way - our Corporate fare on US Airways in Envoy (First on domestics) is in the range of BA WTP fare (AA Coach on domestics).
Old May 17, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by USPhilly
I agree. I think that the US coach product in the 330 is superior to LH coach on the 340. I've never been in C or F and understand it's entirely different but if I had the choice between US 330 Y and LH 340 Y I would take the US 330.
You may want to reevaluate LH that once the refurb of their A343s is done by this summer. At that point all Airbus-aircraft will have brand-new seats that are reported to be very comfortable and roomy (try them next weekend myself) and AVOD in coach - so only the advantage for the 333s of US would the the in-seat power. In all other aspects the new LH product will be superior.

Greetings - Dirk
Old May 17, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by djohannw
You may want to reevaluate LH that once the refurb of their A343s is done by this summer. At that point all Airbus-aircraft will have brand-new seats that are reported to be very comfortable and roomy (try them next weekend myself) and AVOD in coach - so only the advantage for the 333s of US would the the in-seat power. In all other aspects the new LH product will be superior.

Greetings - Dirk
Planning the summer trip for the family from SIN to PHL. Having tried the SIN-FRA-SIN SQ 25/26 flights last year, and dreading the car drive from JFK to South Jersey and back, thought we would give the US Air nonstops from Europe a chance this time. So was planning to fly SIN-CDG on the new SQ A380 flight, and then connecting to the US Air nonstop from CDG to PHL. After reading some of the comments in this thread, am wondering if that would be a good choice. The US Airways CDG-PHL-CDG ticket is not cheap - about US 750 AI in Y class. Can any one tell me if the Airbus A333 on the CDG-PHL route is much better than the other planes they fly to Europe? Does it have AVOD? Thanks for your help

Last edited by SingaporeDon; May 23, 2009 at 3:11 am
Old May 17, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Can any one tell me if the Airbus A333 on the CDG-PHL route is much better than the other planes they fly to Europe? Does it have AVOD? Thanks for your help
I think that the 330 is the only type that has AVOD in Y - the 767/757 only have it in Envoy (portable units). Try to stay away from the aft portion of Y on the 330 - I understand the pitch is pretty tight.

Jim
Old May 18, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I think that the 330 is the only type that has AVOD in Y - the 767/757 only have it in Envoy (portable units). Try to stay away from the aft portion of Y on the 330 - I understand the pitch is pretty tight.

Jim
Thanks for the advice, Jim
Old May 18, 2009, 9:09 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by swanscn
I do not recall Flight62 making many or any posts like the last, maybe it was a bad day. While he/she made some valid and not so valid points we should cut some slack. While you may disagree with the response there is no need to dismiss the person making the response.
One point made was that USAirways is a cheap airline on this I agree. And suggested that if you want cheap you should not have high expectations and I agree. Now what defines cheap is individual from both a price and service delivery perspective. Because something is cheap does not make it bad nor should bad service be expected because it was cheap.
I couldn't had said it better. US Airways IS cheap and will never be a BA but you pay for what you get. Until this company starts treating their own with a little bit of respect, values it's top passengers, and stops running a freight company, it will not change. You people ALL know this when you buy the ticket. Papers aren't read? An array of articles and magazines point to what we all know, yet the OP and others are somehow SHOCKED when their expectations on GHETTO AIRWAYS isn't met and YES, they have paid FAR less than it would cost to drive or ride the train. Coming on here with the "I will never fly US again...they are awful" crap just stirs the pot for posters who are miserable where US is concerned. I think some of you enjoy complaining and are obsessed with constant whining. The OP to me sounded like a typical person who lurks for a while, is not a regular on US and waits for his/her bad flight to add to the misery that is the US FT forum. He/she has heard or read enough about our crappy airline and service, yet still distorts TRUTH. And when I or ANYONE calls them out becomes the bad attitude employee. Well, flame on. Don't like the product, move on and move off!

I would love to know where each and every one of you work. Do you have a forum for where you work? Where may I go and join because if you are a bank, store, hospital, hotel, car company, grocery store, pharmacy, or about ANYTHING, I can probably find something to whine about. The difference in me and many here? Once I hate your product, I am done!! I have no desire to BUY your product, frequent the place that sells your product, or spend my waking hours acknowledging how much I hate such product. I MOVE ON!!!

Coming here when unhappy and concerned is one thing. Discussing the issues is an intelligent way is great. We can all agree to disagree. Ease of the internet and the send button to spew is another. THAT is what burns my butt. And PLEASE don't pretend like you all do not know the difference. It's time for those that truly hate US Airways, the product, and everything about it, to
leave and move on!! MOVE THE FRIK ON ALREADY!!! Now flame all you want. Tell me what a horrible airline employee I am...how I confirm why you left US Airways. What many of you don't realize is I am on your side, but ENOUGH!!
Old May 18, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by flight62
Coming here when unhappy and concerned is one thing. Discussing the issues is an intelligent way is great. We can all agree to disagree. Ease of the internet and the send button to spew is another. THAT is what burns my butt. And PLEASE don't pretend like you all do not know the difference. It's time for those that truly hate US Airways, the product, and everything about it, to
leave and move on!! MOVE THE FRIK ON ALREADY!!! Now flame all you want. Tell me what a horrible airline employee I am...how I confirm why you left US Airways. What many of you don't realize is I am on your side, but ENOUGH!!
Okay. What a horrible airline employee you are. You confirm why I left US. I have moved the FRIK on.
Old May 21, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I just did my first US Air TATL Flight 728 PHL-LHR last night. (I am a seasoned traveler and have done TATLs on BA, Continental, United, Air India, Swiss Air, etc.0. I must say the flight was horrible. I was in Row 8, two side seats, plus three other seats in Row 4 center (first row of coach). Food was horrible even for coach food, seats were cramped, one of our seats was broke, bathrooms misery. The IFE was horrible, I dont appreciate being charged for a headset... The FAs were selling the wine at the wrong price, $5 rather than $7 (its $7 or 5 Euros), then realized their mistake and asked me for the difference 2 hours later when I bought another bottle. The flight itself was OK - we left on time, and arrived on time, bags came out quickily, etc. but the overall coach product service wise and hard product wise was pretty bad. I chose US because I am a silver preferred - but I paid a not so cheap price that was equal to BA at the time. So, "you get what you pay for" doesn't necessarily hold true all the time.

That being said, the first leg of my flight, a 757 between PIT-PHL was great. Nice staff, more seat room than the 767, on time, ontime arrival, quick, etc.

I am sure the A330 is a better product all together. But boy the 767 is just BAD on the PHL-LHR route.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by riversair
That being said, the first leg of my flight, a 757 between PIT-PHL was great. Nice staff, more seat room than the 767, on time, ontime arrival, quick, etc.
Interesting as B757 and B767 have same pitch and 17" wide seats (one version has 17.1" however. I guess that is what you got and able to detect?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.