Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring in FRA between US and LH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Transferring in FRA between US and LH

I will be traveling PHL-FRA-DME in early May. I have a choice between traveling LH the whole way, or US from PHL-FRA transferring to LH in FRA.

Does anyone have any strong opinions which way to go? Seems the LH flights are only going to give me 50% mileage given their fare class, so I am leaning toward the US/LH combo so at least I get full miles for the PHL-FRA segment.

Also, anyone have any experiences transferring in FRA between US and LH? Good? Bad? How much time do I need?

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: nobody
Is PHL-IAD-DME on UA out of the question? I actually like US A333 in Y, of course free beer on LH. Transit in FRA from Concourse C to B should not be a problem.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:37 pm

I flew PIT-IAD-FRA on United and then LH from FRA to Pune India about a month ago. The new 767 business class on United is awesome! I was ticketed all on Lufthansa (codeshare), transfer was very easy in FRA, I did have to change terminals on the train (A to B). The luggage went straight through. On the return, the United flight was boarded at a remote gate at FRA, which meant taking a bus out to the tarmac. I only got 25% for business class on the United flights but 50% for the LH flight. Total preferred miles was 23,900 for the trip with total miles over 27,000. I may have to do it again later this year, I would like to try LH from IAD to FRA, at least for the additional preferred miles.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Is PHL-IAD-DME on UA out of the question? I actually like US A333 in Y, of course free beer on LH. Transit in FRA from Concourse C to B should not be a problem.
That was my preference, but there is a $400 difference in ticket price between US/LH and UA. The corp travel agent won't go for that unfortunately
Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:10 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Transferring from US to LH in FRA is easy as long as you come to a gate. Sometimes if there are not gates available you'll deplane onto a bus and be shuttled to the terminal

FRA is large and expect long walks between terminals and gates, but very easy.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Hi - just a couple additional questions. If I change terminals, will I need to reclear security/passport control? And, how long should I allow for the connection? The itinerary I am looking at gives me 2 hours.

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hginPHL
Hi - just a couple additional questions. If I change terminals, will I need to reclear security/passport control? And, how long should I allow for the connection? The itinerary I am looking at gives me 2 hours.

Thanks for the help!
For Americans used to "understandable" airports, FRA is a "difficult" airport (or should I say, maze). Just take a look at the FRA map on the LH website. Unfortunately, the situation is exacerbated by the differing agreements and security requirements within the EU (Schengen vs Non-Schenger), US, Great Britain, etc.

That being said, you will NOT reclear passport control. However, you will reclear security at least once, usually twice before getting to your gate. (This applies even if you are in the "same" terminal -- lines are short -- security personnel are friendly). 2 hours is enough in FRA. When you get off the plane, be sure to ask, ask, ask how to get to your connecting gate.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help! I just realized today that it has been 20 years since I last was through FRA - boy how time flies
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
I just returned from a trip with US-LH transfer in FRA (on my way to India and back).

The transfer is easily done. And seeing that you are *G, I recommend the SEN lounge in C. The lounges in central B are too over-crowded.

The C priority gates are fantastic. (I doubt if flights to DME depart from those gates though).
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I flew MUC-FRA-PHL on LH then US about 2 years ago, and transiting FRA was probably my very worst travel experience ever. The FRA airport is one of the most user-unfriendly in the world (BKK seemed a breeze in comparison). There was some sort of tunnel to get from one to the other, with elevators to/from. Coupled with a tight connection, late flight, then US giving away my seat, I was not very happy.

And the US A330 in coach is also not a very good experience. I'm 5'11", and with the IFE boxes under the seats, I had almost no legroom. Thankfully the few times I've been on them, they haven't been full and I've been able to move around. But I wouldn't recommend it.

If your US flight is late into FRA (and some are extremely late), you'll have some difficulty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.