Baggage operations at PHL?

Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Baggage operations at PHL?

So I keep hearing that US is improving its levels of customer of operational service. I flew them to-from PHL-FLL last week -- both flights departed/arrived on time. But when I arrived home in PHL, it took 56 minutes from gate arrival until the first bags started appearing on the baggage claim carousel.

I sent a comment to US when I got home, and received this lovely reply:
Thank you for contacting US Airways Customer Relations. I would like to extend my apology for the inconvenience of the delay at the carousel in Philadelphia. I have documented your experience to forward to the Philadelphia Station Manager to assist us in improving our future service. Regrettably, we are unable to refund the $15.00 first checked bag fee to process your bag. We do appreciate your business, and we hope to provide you with a better experience on a future flight.

Sincerely,

Rick Beim
US Airways Customer Relations
Corporate Office
So have baggage operations at PHL really improved, and I just had an unfortunate, isolated experience? Or are they still unable to fix this seemingly chronic problem?

- Mike :-)
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by philamike
So I keep hearing that US is improving its levels of customer of operational service. I flew them to-from PHL-FLL last week -- both flights departed/arrived on time. But when I arrived home in PHL, it took 56 minutes from gate arrival until the first bags started appearing on the baggage claim carousel.

I sent a comment to US when I got home, and received this lovely reply:
Thank you for contacting US Airways Customer Relations. I would like to extend my apology for the inconvenience of the delay at the carousel in Philadelphia. I have documented your experience to forward to the Philadelphia Station Manager to assist us in improving our future service. Regrettably, we are unable to refund the $15.00 first checked bag fee to process your bag. We do appreciate your business, and we hope to provide you with a better experience on a future flight.

Sincerely,

Rick Beim
US Airways Customer Relations
Corporate Office
So have baggage operations at PHL really improved, and I just had an unfortunate, isolated experience? Or are they still unable to fix this seemingly chronic problem?

- Mike :-)
Baggage has always been slow in Philly. I think where they have made some improvements is in bags lost. 56 minutes does seem like more than usual, my wait time is usually been anywhere from 15-30 minutes, after getting to baggage claim.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Push back against Tempe again

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your baggage experience. In my book, 56 minutes is unacceptable baggage service and you are correct in calling Tempe to task.

We ourselves have had good baggage experiences in PHL as of late. In two recent trips, our bags have hit the belt in 15 and 18 minutes respectively ( my own measure is bags hitting the belt 15 to 20 minutes after gate arrival is "good" service, 21 to 30 minutes is "adequate", 31 to 40 "poor" and anything beyond that is unacceptable ). I'm also a proactive flyer who looks at the arrival boards and walks around the baggage area to gage how things are or are not moving. Things have actually looked pretty organized in PHL to me, but your experience indicates that there remains room for improvement.

I'm a little surprised at CR's response to you. I would not expect them to refund your baggage fee, but if Tempe cares about their pax, they could have offered you a small voucher or a US Club day pass for your next trip. I'd suggest firing back another letter to Tempe telling them their response is inadequate. Afterall, we in the PHL market can also fly Southwest or Spirit to Florida.

Barry
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I have had great experiences in PHL probably for the last 3-4 months. Most of the time my bags are already on the belt, or the belt is starting, just as I get there. Previously, a 56 minute wait was the norm.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1P
Sorry to have to add a negative data point: I waited about 55 minutes for two bags arriving from FLL this past Sunday. If I can't avoid US in future, I'll sure try to avoid checking bags!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Update from tonight - arrived at B6, was in row 3 of a E175. Door opened almost immediately. I walked to baggage claim (no stops) and my bag was already on the belt.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
That's the one thing US Mgt does not seem to get a handle on. I have the pleasure of arriving at PHL once a week (B or C terminal) and my experience mirrors all of the posts above. I'd say the majority of my flights the bags arrive 25 - 35 after we reach the gate. Once in a while they are early and once in a while I think they were sold on e-bay!

I probably should be happy with the 25-35 but my outbound destinations all beat that easily.

If I had a wish and could only change one thing in PHL baggage, I'd leave the time alone and do something about the information provided to passengers. I can't tell you how many times I check the monitor to see where my bag is supposed to arrive and 30 minutes later it shows up on another belt. No announcement, no warning, you just have to walk to every belt that is belching bags and check the tags for your flight number. SO I pull mine off the belt, walk 4 belts over and tell the poor folks waiting their bags are over there.

Wow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.