Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flimsy, cheap US Airways Club cards

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP), Accor (Diamond), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), Hyatt (Discoverist)
Flimsy, cheap US Airways Club cards

Anyone else have issue with the lettering (name, member#, etc) on your US Airways Club card rubbing off after going in/out of your wallet repeatedly?

Only reason I am starting this discussion is because of an off experience I had accessing the United Red Carpet club @ ORD (B18). I was finishing up the last the last leg of a multi-leg trip. Despite my identifying information being rubbed off the card, UA desk agents simply swiped my card without incident and I was granted accesses. However, last leg of trip the UA desk agent informed me that she had to call US to verify my info since she couldn't read it off my card and that their system was simply unable to swipe other airline club cards. This was due, she said, to different systems. This was despite the fact that other UA agents had swiped my card (DCA,MSP,SFO and even the same ORD club)

-Anyone have issue with the actual details rubbing off their cards?
-Anyone have any insight into the whole inability to swipe other airline club cards?

thanks -
Old May 24, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
I have never had an issue with my Club Card and actually consider it to be just as sturdy as any of my credit cards. I don't see that it is a big issue with having the desk agent calling to verify - although I have to admit, I have never had that happen to me. Perhaps the next time you are in the US Lounge, you can show them your card and see if they think you might need to be issued another without the replacement fee.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP), Accor (Diamond), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), Hyatt (Discoverist)
Thx - They are replacing the card. I just do not understand why the inconsistency in the ability to swipe the card (I waited at the desk for 10 minutes for them to verify with US). Oh well!
Old May 24, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I've noticed the same issue with the info coming off the card. My FF# is first to go, with my name slowly starting to fade as well. I'm just going to hope it holds out until the end of the year...
Old May 24, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
Mine has been fine. I'm just bothered by the fact that the card design is so incredibly ugly. I do not understand why it was designed like that...
Old May 24, 2011, 9:17 pm

I have had no issues with lettering rubbing off nor do I find the card ugly.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:53 pm

My experience with the UA & former CO Clubs is that although their machines can read the US Airways Club cards, they still have to manually enter the expiration dates. Perhaps that is the part of your card that they couldn't see clearly and had to verify?
Old May 24, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
I am now on my second card and BOTH first and second cards have had all its lettering rub off. Both cards are completely blank now.

I had a nice chat with a Club Angel in LGA who ordered me a new one. It promptly came a week later. And now of course as mentioned, that one has rubbed off too.

The Club Angel said that the majority of cards from this year has rubbed off.

In fact, my Platnium Card is starting to rub off too.

Whatever this new lettering process they are using is, is horrible.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I am now on my second card and BOTH first and second cards have had all its lettering rub off. Both cards are completely blank now.

I had a nice chat with a Club Angel in LGA who ordered me a new one. It promptly came a week later. And now of course as mentioned, that one has rubbed off too.

The Club Angel said that the majority of cards from this year has rubbed off.

In fact, my Platnium Card is starting to rub off too.

Whatever this new lettering process they are using is, is horrible.
Was just enrolled on Wednesday 11/23. How long do most US Club cards take to arrive. 1 weeks sounds good. Im traveling on 12/1 and hope I get it before then. Anyone with experience with this?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
I just renewed and I believe it was definitely longer than two weeks. You can use your receipt for entry.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:15 am

I joined on 11/2 and received my card on 11/17, which was faster than I expected. I used the receipt, as mentioned above, with no problem.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
All my lettering wore off fairly quickly. It wasn't much of an issue in the US clubs, but I tried to use it in a Red Carpet Club and was denied entry because the expire date was unreadable.

The lounge dragon at United wasnt even very nice about it. Rules, is rules. (And no, it wasnt the most embarassing day of my life, I just laughed at her and moved on!)

I got a replacement fairly quickly after requesting one and immediately put scotch tape over the name, number, and expire date. Works like a charm and lasts forever.

A ten second fix to a potential problem - do it now!

Z
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Zanotti

I got a replacement fairly quickly after requesting one and immediately put scotch tape over the name, number, and expire date. Works like a charm and lasts forever.

A ten second fix to a potential problem - do it now!
What a great suggestion!
Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I did the same thing to my card - put scotch tape over the name, number and expiration date because my expiration date kept rubbing off. The 2nd time I asked for a new card the person on the phone said to do it. Like a previous OP said....works like a charm!!!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by senatetalker33
Anyone else have issue with the lettering (name, member#, etc) on your US Airways Club card rubbing off after going in/out of your wallet repeatedly?

Only reason I am starting this discussion is because of an off experience I had accessing the United Red Carpet club @ ORD (B18). I was finishing up the last the last leg of a multi-leg trip. Despite my identifying information being rubbed off the card, UA desk agents simply swiped my card without incident and I was granted accesses. However, last leg of trip the UA desk agent informed me that she had to call US to verify my info since she couldn't read it off my card and that their system was simply unable to swipe other airline club cards. This was due, she said, to different systems. This was despite the fact that other UA agents had swiped my card (DCA,MSP,SFO and even the same ORD club)

-Anyone have issue with the actual details rubbing off their cards?
-Anyone have any insight into the whole inability to swipe other airline club cards?

thanks -
Funny, I was just at one of the RCCs in ORD last week and the agent pulled the scotch tape trick. I hadnt lost the lettering yet, but I'm sure it was coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.