Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Kudos, LCC! USAirways Dead Last in Fortune's "Most Admired Companies"

Kudos, LCC! USAirways Dead Last in Fortune's "Most Admired Companies"

Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Well, knock me over with a feather.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
OK, let's not exaggerate. What CO serves is a 'snack' at best - on recent flights of 3.5hrs they handed out a bone-dry sandwich (literally a bun, a leaf of lettuce, and a piece of chicken), and a bite-size piece of chocolate. Hardly a meal...

Add: Oh, and the planes were old-generation 737's, with no IFE of any sort.
What does US hand out for free in coach besides the newly-returned complimentary sodas, juices, water, tea, and coffee? Snacks, nope. Meals, nope.

Secondly, where is the domestic IFE on US now? Hasta la vista, baby!

Case closed.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:43 pm

I'm not defending US, but I am pointing out that CO is not the "promised land".
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
I'm not defending US, but I am pointing out that CO is not the "promised land".
Maybe not, but it's 11 spots closer to it than US!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:46 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by gawhite411
US being last in every single category seems compelling proof to me that the methodology is perfect. US is the worst in every single possible regard.
ditto
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I'm surprised they're on the list at all. I would put F9, AS, or HA above US.
The list includes the largest companies, by revenue, in each industry. I can't say I'm surprised that they have more revenue than those companies.

In fact, US lost more money at the bottom line last quarter than the total revenue of two of them.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
The headline is misleading.

US is last in the "aviation" category (of the aviation companies ranked).

It is not "dead last" by a long-shot in the overall list.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO, DL, US, AS, CO, BA, LH, SQ, WN
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I know. The free hot meals and beverages and free pretzels is what makes me want to take an airline. Oh my...

I still dont get it. Who cares about all these free drinks and nuts. Why does that make them the most admired airline?
Just be sure to correlate the patterns of behavior by every carrier's CEO. For instance, when comparing CO and US, CO never cut their J and F cabins by as much as 60%. US did. CO never started charging for beverages. US did. CO never "expanded" internationally only by using the same number of a/c and reducing the number of days per week that they served long-served Europe destinations. US did. CO never let their lavatories and cabins be so uninhabitable that most flight attendants would not use the lavatories. US did.

The point is that CO and most other carriers except for US never went purposefully into the pit under the lead of the CEO. US did to such a degree that although they are now attempting half-heartedly to scratch their way back to where they were over 3 years ago, they still have a long way to go. "On time", because almost all carriers are so close to one another, is in no way a competitive advantage for them, or even a symptom of improvement efforts by them.

We will all know that they are committed to surviving when they add back that inch of pitch in Y and double their F and J cabins.

Until then, what they are doing is low end window dressing.

Anne
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
The headline is misleading.

US is last in the "aviation" category (of the aviation companies ranked).

It is not "dead last" by a long-shot in the overall list.
They must be awful close. LCC is rated in the bottom 10 in 7 of the 9 categories.

I guess perception is reality.

Worst Top 10

Innovation #10

People Management #6

Use of Assets #8

Management quality #5

Financial soundness #7

Long-term investment #9

Quality of products/services #2

Last edited by planeluvr; Mar 3, 2009 at 8:36 pm
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Gold, Former US CP Since They Invented It
Originally Posted by planeluvr
These two are just STUNNING to me....

Completely shocking.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I know. The free hot meals and beverages and free pretzels is what makes me want to take an airline. Oh my...

I still dont get it. Who cares about all these free drinks and nuts. Why does that make them the most admired airline?
its far more than that, and I say this as someone who left CO and went back to UA, and remain happy with my decission.

Originally Posted by NoPlaceLikeHome
Just be sure to correlate the patterns of behavior by every carrier's CEO. For instance, when comparing CO and US, CO never cut their J and F cabins by as much as 60%. US did. CO never started charging for beverages. US did. CO never "expanded" internationally only by using the same number of a/c and reducing the number of days per week that they served long-served Europe destinations. US did. CO never let their lavatories and cabins be so uninhabitable that most flight attendants would not use the lavatories. US did.

The point is that CO and most other carriers except for US never went purposefully into the pit under the lead of the CEO. US did to such a degree that although they are now attempting half-heartedly to scratch their way back to where they were over 3 years ago, they still have a long way to go. "On time", because almost all carriers are so close to one another, is in no way a competitive advantage for them, or even a symptom of improvement efforts by them.

We will all know that they are committed to surviving when they add back that inch of pitch in Y and double their F and J cabins.

Until then, what they are doing is low end window dressing.

Anne

(and oh, I actually think that DL is more inventive at this point than CO, their reputation though has yet to recover from BKR... CO has a hard road to hoe come this summer when half of their network (NW) goes away for goo.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Gold, Former US CP Since They Invented It
Originally Posted by spin88
and oh, I actually think that DL is more inventive at this point than CO, their reputation though has yet to recover from BKR... CO has a hard road to hoe come this summer when half of their network (NW) goes away for goo.
Maybe...but they pick up UA, right?

UA is a hundred-fold better airline than NorthWORST

Good God, NorthWORST stinks...

That airline is RIGHT up there with Screw S as far as I can tell...
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by planeluvr
They must be awful close. LCC is rated in the bottom 10 in 7 of the 9 categories.

I guess perception is reality.

Worst Top 10

Management quality #5

Quality of products/services #2

Would have thought they would have taken the cake as #1 in the "Worst Top Ten" on both of those.

Though I have no doubt that they'll find a way to get there, sooner rather than later.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
CO isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Award inventory is scarce, upgrades on longer flights are practically impossible, and most "short flights" are on commuter planes (YYZ-IAH on an ERJ..mmmmm). I usually fly from BUF - where CO cares so much about its customers, that they replaced ERJ flights with a bottom-of-the-barrel subcontractor and we all know what that led to a month ago.

US may be far from perfect, but at least I can rely on being upgraded and finding good award availability with Star Alliance.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:44 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by treznor
Even if CO is the "most admired airline", they are seriously 1st in every category? Such uniform rankings across all categories seems very suspicious.
While CO is the most admired airline, they are not in the Top 50 for most admired companies overall, but Southwest is ranked #7 on that same list (but only #3 on the airline industry list). The difference between the lists is that the overall rankings surveyed executives, directors, and analysts across all industries while the industry specific rankings surveyed executives, directors, and analysts for the specific industry. Apparently non-airline executives, directors, and analysts put more weight in proftiability than those in the airline industry, which isn't too surprising I suppose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.