Wiki Posts
Search

Guess Canada isn't considered International by USAirways

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Guess Canada isn't considered International by USAirways

Last week I flew from Phoenix to Calgary. I am a Gold Dividends Member, so I thought this would allow me to access the Club Room in Phoenix before my flight. The lady at the front door to the club said "technically, you must be flying TRANSATLANTIC international to use the club room, but I'll let you in."

I can't find anything on the USAirways website or Star Alliance that says TRANSATLANTIC. Just the notation:
Chairman's, Platinum and Gold Preferred members receive access to Star Alliance Lounges only when traveling internationally as part of their Star Alliance Gold Benefits.

Does anyone know of this hidden rule, or can point me to the website clause? If this is true, doesn't this go against the rules of Star Alliance benefits?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Star Alliance benefits
Enjoy special privileges when you travel on any participating Star Alliance airlines. Just present your Gold Preferred membership card and same-day international ticket to access the US Airways Club and more than 600 Star Alliance lounges.

Eligible international destinations for lounge access include Asia, Africa, Canada, Europe, Middle East, South America and the following cities: Mexico City, Guadalajara, San Jose (Costa Rica)

Seems as if you should have been let in
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
This is actually new. US used to exclude Canada from interntational lounge access. Interesting thing is they didn't mention Carribean.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I couldn't use the US Club in PHL when flying to Cancun last year.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I couldn't use the US Club in PHL when flying to Cancun last year.
Cancún, while indeed international, falls under the Caribbean umbrella, you know, all of those "domestic"Caribbean destinations! LOL
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Not sure if you are flying on US or AC, but I know that UA accepts * Gold members (incl PremEx) for flights from US to Canada.

Either way, the MLLs are much better than all the US airline operated lounges!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Sorry, but this goes both ways, too.

If US Airways let you into the club but started charging 50,000 miles minimum for a coach ticket to Canada or the Caribbean, citing their status as an "international" destination, people would be screaming their heads off.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:31 pm

This has nothing to do with the fare or miles required for an award ticket. As long as they have the same cut-off time for those destinations as other internatioinal destinations ( usually 60 min vs 30 min domestc ), the lounge policy should be consistent. And this also happens to be the Star Alliance policy.

Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
Sorry, but this goes both ways, too.

If US Airways let you into the club but started charging 50,000 miles minimum for a coach ticket to Canada or the Caribbean, citing their status as an "international" destination, people would be screaming their heads off.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Originally Posted by jimmychang
This has nothing to do with the fare or miles required for an award ticket. As long as they have the same cut-off time for those destinations as other internatioinal destinations ( usually 60 min vs 30 min domestc ), the lounge policy should be consistent. And this also happens to be the Star Alliance policy.
I have a club membership, so I'm a bit less sympathetic to this argument than most.

And no, I don't agree.

US treats Canada as "domestic" for bookings, and both Canada and the Caribbean as "domestic" for FF redemptions. A consistent treatment of these destinations would also make the present club policy a reasonable one.

Incidentally, UAL and future Star member CO have the same policy. Air Canada used to as well, and if that hasn't changed, they still do.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: nobody
I have a club membership, so I'm a bit less sympathetic to this argument than most.

And no, I don't agree.

US treats Canada as "domestic" for bookings, and both Canada and the Caribbean as "domestic" for FF redemptions. A consistent treatment of these destinations would also make the present club policy a reasonable one.

Incidentally, UAL and future Star member CO have the same policy. Air Canada used to as well, and if that hasn't changed, they still do.
Just to clarify on UA RCC access policy, both UA and US *G member can access RCC when traveling to international destinations on *A airlines and this includes Canada and Mexico. The difference is when travel to Canada/Mexico, you will not receive 2 drink chits like you would on TPAC/TATL tickets.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/S%2ARCC/ADMIT
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Air Canada's Maple Leaf Lounge policy:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...es/access.html

Star Alliance Gold members
Any Star Alliance member with a Star Alliance Gold logo on their card is entitled to Maple Leaf Lounge access provided the member is travelling on a departing Star Alliance flight, in any class of service. At no additional charge, the Star Alliance member may be accompanied by one guest who is also in possession of a same-day ticket on a qualifying, departing flight.

US Airways Club members
Any US Airways Club member is entitled to Maple Leaf Lounge access when holding a valid membership card and a same-day confirmed ticket for travel on a departing Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz, Star Alliance or an Air Canada/US Airways codeshare flight. At no additional charge, the US Airways Club member may be accompanied by one guest who is also in possession of a same-day ticket on a qualifying, departing flight.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:11 pm

You probably need to figure out US' and UA's polciy first. As previously posted, Canada is now included in International for lounge access purpose for both UA & US. To me, UA's policy complies with Star Alliance but US' not if they still exclude Carribean. That's all what matters.

And no, I don't agree.

Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold

And no, I don't agree.

Both UA and US are inconsistent with their policies when it comes to Star Alliance.
1) Both airlines do not allow their own * Gold (from UA or US) members into their lounges on domestic flights, but allow those with * Gold status from other Star Alliance memberships.
2) US is the only one that does not allow US/UA * Gold members access to lounges when flying to Canada.

The irony of it is that they sell memberships to lounges that pale in comparison to the peers in the Star Alliance.

Last edited by neuron; Mar 2, 2009 at 6:43 pm Reason: left out 'domestic flights' in point 1
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Were you eligible for an upgrade?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:36 pm

Let me clarify this. Star Alliance's policy says US & UA elite should have access on a international star alliance flight. UA follows this while US' doesn't have Carribean included but it does include CANADA now.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...ss-policy.html

United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...rred/gold.aspx

Eligible international destinations for lounge access include Asia, Africa, Canada, Europe, Middle East, South America and the following cities: Mexico City, Guadalajara, San Jose (Costa Rica)

Originally Posted by neuron
Both UA and US are inconsistent with their policies when it comes to Star Alliance.
1) Both airlines do not allow their own * Gold (from UA or US) members into their lounges, but allow those with * Gold status from other Star Alliance memberships.
2) US is the only one that does not allow US/UA * Gold members access to lounges when flying to Canada.

The irony of it is that they sell memberships to lounges that pale in comparison to the peers in the Star Alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.