Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FF Membership required to upgrade a business associate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Leow's Gold, USAIR Chairman's, Avis First, Hertz #1 Gold
FF Membership required to upgrade a business associate

I recently called the CP desk to upgrade a business associate who will be on the samer flight as me this Friday. I was told that seats were available but that I must have my associates USAir Dividend miles account number. Since I do not keep this data for al;l of my associates this presents a problem. Anyone else encountered this?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Easier for them...but not required.

It is easier for the Res Agent and your companion if you place their FF# in the reservation at the time of the upgrade request, but is not (or should I say was not) required the many of times I upgraded travel companions. Maybe the rules have changed, but that has been my experience.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by jasman79
I recently called the CP desk to upgrade a business associate who will be on the samer flight as me this Friday. I was told that seats were available but that I must have my associates USAir Dividend miles account number. Since I do not keep this data for al;l of my associates this presents a problem. Anyone else encountered this?
This type of info from the CP desk is absolutely bs! I have upgraded a dozen or so different companions on various legs of an itn with either an UA, AC, LH or SQ frequent flyer number. On a few occasions no frequent flyer numbers at all. Hang up and call back. There seem to be quite a few new associates at the CP desk with very little knowledge and know how. Sad to see. The TC's do not require anybody upgraded as an companion to have any kind of relationship with US Airways other than travelling on the same itn as the upgrade sponsoring elite member.
Good Luck...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I was recently met with exactly the same issue -- I was told that in order to upgrade someone using my miles, that passenger had to have a US DM number in their reservation.

In the case of the friend I was upgrading, he had a BMI FF number in his reservation, as that's where he wanted his mileage credited. I've never encountered this before, and I've upgraded any number of friends on US who earned miles into partner programs.

I asked if this was a new policy. The agent I spoke with said that it was not, that it's always been this way. I said, OK, thank you, I'll call him and get his US DM number. Then I just called back and spoke with another agent. She processed the upgrade. She made reference to the BD number, but did not indicate that it was a problem. She confirmed the upgrade and that was that.

Both calls were to the CP desk.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Leow's Gold, USAIR Chairman's, Avis First, Hertz #1 Gold
Yep AZ and FCN it was BS

Called again and was not asked for my companions FF# and was able to upgrade them. I think there are differing levels of experience on the part of staff at the CP desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.