Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US PHL-BOS High Fares soon to be a thing of the past?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I won't.

If the price differential continues to be 2x the limo from Alexandria to BWI and PVD to BOS, I'll be on WN--particularly if the PVD-BOS limo segment becomes moot.

The weekday shuttles can be as big of a gouge as BOS-PHL.
I'd have to go with convenience here - downtown to downtown is a huge time-saver.

As for PHL-BOS - at what daily frequency to you see WN making a dent in US' traffic?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I'd have to go with convenience here - downtown to downtown is a huge time-saver.

As for PHL-BOS - at what daily frequency to you see WN making a dent in US' traffic?
I'd say 3X at an absolute minimum.

And remember, we're not talking about making a dent in US' traffic, we're talking about making a dent in US' fares.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:27 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
... unless there's traffic. Per google maps, it's ~1 hr to make the trip from Alexandria to BWI without traffic, so figure 45 minutes realistically. But would you bet a tight schedule on the predictability of traffic in/around DC? I sure wouldn't. Even the metro/train combination is still a big time drain.

It's an idea that looks good on paper, and would probably be incredibly good without the unpredictable traffic.
All very true. It depends entirely upon the fare differential.

The out and back tomorrow on the shuttle is $900. WN wants $270 BWI-MHT. Figure a $30 premium for BOS. That's a $600 delta. $250 for the R/T car transfer Alexandria to BWI. I'm up $350. That's an extra airfare on WN.

Which is probably equal to an hour's work for me.

As for the tight schedule, if WN holds to form, they'll run every 90 minutes or so, and I'm not going to get abused with change fees to get on an earlier or later flight.

When the metro makes it to IAD, I fully expect to see WN ramp up--because it will become predictable and reasonably fast to get out there.

Common myth. DCA is not "downtown." Nor is BOS. Your point is well taken on the time--it comes down to a matter of how much cash you are willing to dump to US to avoid an hour in the car. I can bill an hour in that car ride (because I can work) and save, what, $175 or so each way in the example above.

3x minimally, 4x would definitely do it. Lowering the morning and evening crunchtime fares would put a significant dent in the US profitability on the route.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:42 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
When the metro makes it to IAD, I fully expect to see WN ramp up--because it will become predictable and reasonably fast to get out there.
That will be, at the earliest, 2017 by my estimates. Far too long to predict fare wars between airlines who may or may not be around then (or at least flying under the same name).
http://www.dullesmetro.com/

The 1st phase, targeted for 2013, only gets to Wiehle Ave which is still 6 miles short of connecting to the airport terminal. I suppose there could be a nice connecting bus service put in place when the metro does eventually get to Wiehle Ave.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Why is there such hoopla over ANOTHER LCC coming to BOS? Don't they already have all the LCC, svc, or for that matter air svc of all types, that they'd ever need? Drop in the bucket.

There are other markets dying for reliable, daily LCC svc, and would richly reward same. But I guess airline execs only see the obvious.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM

Common myth. DCA is not "downtown." Nor is BOS. Your point is well taken on the time--it comes down to a matter of how much cash you are willing to dump to US to avoid an hour in the car. I can bill an hour in that car ride (because I can work) and save, what, $175 or so each way in the example above.

I understand they're not exactly downtown, but sufficiently close (less than 15 minutes by cab in non-rush hour. During rush hour the Metro/T does it in about 20).

Unfortunately I can't bill my hours - I wish I could, though.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Why is there such hoopla over ANOTHER LCC coming to BOS? Don't they already have all the LCC, svc, or for that matter air svc of all types, that they'd ever need? Drop in the bucket.
The addition of BOS means that WN will be more competitive in the Northeast USA by serving all major cities in the area. WN is really the only LCC that can start markets with sufficient frequencies to make them a viable choice for business customers. Plus US has a history of overcharging on these types of routes.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by myadvice
The addition of BOS means that WN will be more competitive in the Northeast USA by serving all major cities in the area. WN is really the only LCC that can start markets with sufficient frequencies to make them a viable choice for business customers. Plus US has a history of overcharging on these types of routes.
US has never overcharged on a business route.....

Ouch.. my butt hurts!!!!!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:05 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
All very true. It depends entirely upon the fare differential.

The out and back tomorrow on the shuttle is $900. WN wants $270 BWI-MHT. Figure a $30 premium for BOS. That's a $600 delta. $250 for the R/T car transfer Alexandria to BWI. I'm up $350. That's an extra airfare on WN.

Which is probably equal to an hour's work for me.

As for the tight schedule, if WN holds to form, they'll run every 90 minutes or so, and I'm not going to get abused with change fees to get on an earlier or later flight.
Right... and I'm with you. I've found PHL-BBY on Amtrak to be the best option for a predictable time to BOS given my client's location. As with anything in DC, the amount you are willing to gamble with traffic will impact your fare... but I'm not going to bet a contract on the cost difference between MHT/PVD and BOS unless I can plan an extra day.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I posted this on the WN board, but I say it here: I don't think WN will launch PHL-BOS now. It's not the profit-maximizing thing to do. Here's why.

Right now, US' PHL-BOS fares are so high that they chase away most of the leisure/price sensitive traffic in that marketplace. So who gets it? Well, the NJ Turnpike is probably the leading beneficiary, but I'm certain WN does pretty well with their PHL-MHT and PHL-PVG routes. WN basically has a near-monopoly on price sensitive travel between these cities.

But if WN enters PHL-BOS, what happens? Well, fares will plummet. Good for customers, but not so terrific for WN. They're simply not going to get a good chunk of market share between these city pairs. US is going to match them dollar for dollar, throw plenty of capacity on the route, and retain most of the high yielding traffic (through schedule, hub and ff advantages). Meanwhile, traffic from PHL to MHT and PVG -- which WN currently monopolizes -- will be crushed. WN likely LOSES MONEY by entering PHL-BOS.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:02 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by iahphx
But if WN enters PHL-BOS, what happens? Well, fares will plummet. Good for customers, but not so terrific for WN. They're simply not going to get a good chunk of market share between these city pairs. US is going to match them dollar for dollar, throw plenty of capacity on the route, and retain most of the high yielding traffic (through schedule, hub and ff advantages). Meanwhile, traffic from PHL to MHT and PVG -- which WN currently monopolizes -- will be crushed. WN likely LOSES MONEY by entering PHL-BOS.
What makes you think that US has schedule, hub, or ff advantages over WN on a route that short? For a non-elite, the "actual mileage" penalty on US is huge. The hub infers a connection beyond PHL, which WN would probably shove over BWI, and it's not like WN has not been known to schedule on up when it comes to a successful route.

You are also assuming that US somehow has a lock on "business" traffic where WN is "leisure" traffic. That rumor has been shot down so many times as to boggle the imagination.

I distinctly remember hearing this same logic applied to PHL-PIT some time ago. That has not worked out well for US. I don't expect that BOS-PHL would be that much different.

Lastly, there were a lot of people who were eagerly awaiting the demise of SJC and OAK when LUV re-entered SFO. Did not happen.

The final thing to consider here is that WN would rather fill planes at their "premium" business select fare (which they are good at) than charge thru the nose (as US does on monopoly routes). You are trying to apply a legacy airline's thinking to WN, and despite some of their recent changes, they still don't approach things with that mindset.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:25 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
You are also assuming that US somehow has a lock on "business" traffic.
I wouldn't say a lock, but the fact that PHL is a relatively captive hub means WN won't waltz in and shut US out either. I would also assume that the percentage of connecting traffic on this route won't go to WN either.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:33 am

I posted this on the WN but am reposting it here as it pertains to the discussion at hand.

I looked at DOT's Q2 Consumer Airfare Report (Table 6) at all the possible markets WN could serve from BOS based on the airports WN already serves, as well as LGA and MSP which have been announced. I only looked at the markets that had over 400 daily O&D travelers. For each of those I took the average one-way fare (among all carriers) and divided it by the number of miles in the route to get the average fare per mile.

These are all the possible WN city-pairs ex-BOS with over 400 daily O&D travelers and which also have an average fare of 20.0 cents per mile or greater

City Pair - Daily Pax - Distance - Avg. fare per mile

BOS-BWI - 1,497 pax - 370 miles - 35.0 cents per mile
BOS-BUF - 655 pax - 396 miles - 31.3 cents per mile
BOS-CHI (ORD & MDW) - 2,836 pax - 867 miles - 22.6 cents per mile
BOS-CLE - 401 pax - 563 miles - 43.9 cents per mile
BOS-DTW - 636 pax - 632 miles - 48.7 cents per mile
BOS-MSP - 1031 pax - 1,124 miles - 24.7 cents per mile
BOS-NYC (LGA, EWR & JFK) - 4,349 pax - 200 miles - $1.00 per mile
BOS-PHL - 886 pax - 280- miles - $1.13 per mile
BOS-PIT - 765 pax - 496 miles - 33.6 cents per mile
BOS-RDU - 886 pax - 612 miles - 30.7 cents per mile
BOS-STL - 495 pax - 1046 miles - 25.4 cents per mile
BOS-WAS (IAD & DCA) - 3,486 pax - 413 miles - 49.3 cents per mile

Make of it what you will.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What makes you think that US has schedule, hub, or ff advantages over WN on a route that short? For a non-elite, the "actual mileage" penalty on US is huge. The hub infers a connection beyond PHL, which WN would probably shove over BWI, and it's not like WN has not been known to schedule on up when it comes to a successful route.
In a fare war, US would be able to operate 2 or 3 times as many flights in these city pairs as WN. Every airline pricing study from time immemorial shows that the airline that schedules the most frequencies wins in a price war. Business travellers always opt for the convenience: who wouldn't in the PHL-BOS market?

It's not a game WN can possibly win over any reasonable period of time. The only reason they'd do it would be to annoy/weaken US. But that's not currently on their radar screen, so I would not expect it to happen.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
BOS-PHL - 886 pax - 280- miles - $1.13 per mile.
I knew it was high but seeing it this way just hurts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.