The Measuring Tape

Old Feb 16, 09, 6:05 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
So if I bring a brief case and a lap top bag on board, you would not allow me to put one of them in the overhead?
Old Feb 16, 09, 6:29 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Travels2mch View Post
Enforce laptop bags, briefcases etc. under the seat in front of you.....make it a rule or it gets yanked out of the overhead to be checked. Case closed, no options.
That's not fair either. I travel with a laptop bag and a purse. I actually check my roller board. I put my purse under the seat in front of me, and my laptop bag in the overhead.. AND, I am usually using much less space than most others with their overstuffed roller boards.

Am I not following the rules of placing my smaller bag under the seat in front of me.. just because I don't carry on a monster of a bag?
Old Feb 16, 09, 1:26 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
That shouldnt bother you..They have made it known that they allow 45 inches for your bags instead of the previous 55 inches..Its US new policy so they have a right to enforce it with a measuring tape..if you dont like it..you can pay to check the bag or take your business to another [email protected]:-)
Old Feb 16, 09, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Many years ago passing through security at LGA, the security clerk said my bag was too big. I asked her if she measured it, she said no, I can just tell by looking at it. Me being a wise a$$ asked her when she had her eyes calibrated. Needless to say other TSA agents got into the matter. The bag did pass. Also I was flying on a beach 1900, so it was going in the trunk anyway.

Even though I don't like the idea of the new policy, at least they are measuring the bags before rejecting them.
Old Feb 16, 09, 5:00 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Singleflyer View Post
Many years ago passing through security at LGA, the security clerk said my bag was too big. I asked her if she measured it, she said no, I can just tell by looking at it. Me being a wise a$$ asked her when she had her eyes calibrated.
Ha! That reminds me of the FCO-PHL flight I took on Sunday. Just before we were to push off from the gate, the FA came down the aisle to close the bins. She looked at the size of the bag in the overhead behind me and very confidently said, "That's a problem. No way is that going to fit." Then she tried to close the bin door. It closed easily.

At least she laughed immediately and said, "Well that shows how much I know!"
Old Feb 16, 09, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Glad she had a sense of humor. The folks at CLT had no sense of humor and the way they handled the measuring tape wasn't too great. BTW, I was a reroute from UA*. The * flights on any airline never give me problems.
Old Feb 16, 09, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by Travels2mch View Post
Enforce laptop bags, briefcases etc. under the seat in front of you.....make it a rule or it gets yanked out of the overhead to be checked. Case closed, no options.
What about those with long legs who choose to check their bag so that their laptop bag can go in the overhead?

The real solution is that US should allow the first checked bag to be free. Then lack of overhead space would not be an issue on many flights.
Old Feb 17, 09, 11:01 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by myadvice View Post
What about those with long legs who choose to check their bag so that their laptop bag can go in the overhead?

The real solution is that US should allow the first checked bag to be free. Then lack of overhead space would not be an issue on many flights.
Bag Fee`s arent going anywhere..Its one of the things keeping airlines in business right now..They are transporting you..thats what the price of your ticket covers (maybe) these days..if you shipped a package FedEx youd have to pay for it..same idea..everything comes with a [email protected]:-)
Old Feb 17, 09, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL, UA, US
Originally Posted by Singleflyer View Post
The bag did pass. Also I was flying on a beach 1900, so it was going in the trunk anyway.
What I get annoyed by, is if I pay to check a conforming bag because of my toiletries or wine and then they check all the small bags anyway and they are "free." Between TSA and fees, we can't catch a break. Although we aren't getting fuel surcharges anymore - wait aren't gas prices going up again?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: