Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways fleet page includes A350..5 years early!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by spin88
its why almost no one flies them TATL (and then only a route like FRA-ORD or ORD-LHR or LHR-JFK with high demand)
Many carriers fly them TATL, just not to the US. The Atlantic also touches other countries, you know...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
i would go one better and say that US does not serve a single city pair that could fill up a 747, or even a 340 or 777 either.
Not necessarily. LH flies the A340 from FRA-PHL. Not comparing LH to US but it would seem to me that those 2 city pairs would support the A340 service or else LH wouldn't be using it. A 747...well, that's entirely different.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
"*coming in 2014" suffices for disclosure, no?

Not sure what the row is about.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:30 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by MarcPHL
"*coming in 2014" suffices for disclosure, no?

Not sure what the row is about.
As the OP, I was only pointing out something I found rather humorous. Who puts an aircraft type on their fleet page that's not going to be in the fleet for 5 more years?!!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by PHL
As the OP, I was only pointing out something I found rather humorous. Who puts an aircraft type on their fleet page that's not going to be in the fleet for 5 more years?!!
fair enough, i can see the humor...i guess i got caught up in the ancillary hoopla.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I guess the OP must be young. In the olden days of the 70's, it wasn't unusual for a company to advertise what was coming down the road. Not quite old enough to remember, but I bet that the airlines trumpeted the 747/DC10/L1011 years in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:35 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by formeraa
I guess the OP must be young. In the olden days of the 70's, it wasn't unusual for a company to advertise what was coming down the road. Not quite old enough to remember, but I bet that the airlines trumpeted the 747/DC10/L1011 years in advance.
Well, I'm not that young. But not so old that I remember airline ads in the 70's. It's one thing to "advertise" what's coming down the road. That would be like when airlines announce new orders. Their advertising comes in the form of the bump in press coverage they get in conjunction with the news from the aircraft maker. I still doubt they were putting fleet types in their in-flight magazines and paper timetables 5 years in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
You do when you've ordered it from the manufacturer.

Look, the geeks who are looking at the aircraft fleet pictures generally like this stuff.

Not sure why you WOULDN'T put it on the page, especially if you note the year the aircraft is scheduled to arrive.

Like should the airlines that ordered the A380 have kept that a secret as they awaited (seemingly forever) their exciting new aircraft?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by iahphx
Like should the airlines that ordered the A380 have kept that a secret as they awaited (seemingly forever) their exciting new aircraft?
It's one thing to keep airplane orders secret - although some airlines and/or leasing companies do prefer to announce the orders at a time of their choice rather than when the order is signed. Nobody is saying that US did, or should have kept the orders secret because they obviously didn't - the orders were announced when placed.

However, it is an entirely different question being discussed - is it normal for an airline to include an airplane that is still 5 years away from arriving on it's "Our Fleet" fact sheet?

DL, via the merger with NW, has orders for the 787 but you won't find that aircraft on list of aircraft in it's fleet although it'll be arriving 2-3 years earlier than the A350.

AA has 787's on order with deliveries beginning in 2012, yet doesn't have it on their fleet page.

So it does appear that US is the lone standout among the U.S. carriers.

Jim
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:22 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHL
Point of comparison - the 787 will be in revenue service with airlines like Ana and Continental LOOOONNNNG before Airbus gets their A350 certified. Yet, I see no mention of the 787 in the fleet pages on their respective web sites. Continental has a separate, well identified "future fleet plan" document that talks about this. At least they're up front and honest about it.
... ah, but CO has had the 787 as part of their fleet in their in-flight magazine for quite some time. IIRC, at least a year.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
i would go one better and say that US does not serve a single city pair that could fill up a 747, or even a 340 or 777 either. Also, the 747 is a longer range ac, and is only economical on routes with substantial cargo demand.
Except for the pesky 777 that BA routinely flies PHL-LHR (and occasionally subs with a 747) and the A340 that LH flies PHL-FRA (and occasionally subs with a 747) I'd agree with you...

Oh, and those aircraft are in addition to the flights that US also flies on those routes...

I suppose that I do have the advantage of looking out my window and seeing them on approach to PHL FWIW.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: None
I interpreted spin's post as saying that US doesn't have enough traffic to justify anything bigger than the 330. If BA and LH dropped their flights it might be different.

But as I said, that's just my interpretation.

Jim
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
They probably listed the seating chart for the A350 now so seatguru.com and seatcounter.com have time to enter it into their websites. US has been accused of withholding information from them in the past. Good to see US turning over a new leaf.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:28 pm

Cargo being ceteris paribus, what kind of passenger load (%) does a 747-400 need to break-even? I'll use United's new configurations as the model (374 passengers).

I've seen plenty of 747s in and out of PHL and EWR into London, Munich, and Paris for TATL Ops.

To the extent it's hard to effectively fill them up on a busy domestic pairing, a larger plane could allow scheduling to take two flights and merge them into one. Thoughts?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Now 747s only make sense on TPAC routes, and between major long range city pairs. its why almost no one flies them TATL (and then only a route like FRA-ORD or ORD-LHR or LHR-JFK with high demand).
KL flies them AMS-IAH, be it in combi configuration...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.