Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways Pilot Sues Flight Attendant Crew

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

USAirways Pilot Sues Flight Attendant Crew

Interesting story - its hard to understand why this situation has got to this point. ..
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: US CP
Story here
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: US Platinum
There are a lot, of extra commas, in that, story.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Not to mention a 60-word lead sentence, terrible grammar, and a general failure to communicate the message. I read it twice and I'm still not sure of the facts. So I can't really comment on what may or may not be happening.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I just read the full story in the Phoenix New Times (alternative newspaper). I'm absolutely SHOCKED! The FA's should be getting gold medals for persistence, not a million dollar lawsuit by one of the pilots! Shame on US for not defending the FA's for pointing out ice on the wings! Even the Canadian ground crew filed a report that the captain refused de-icing! I definitely believe the FA's and the ground crew in YYC. If nothing else, the ground crew in YYC would RECOGNIZE ice on the wings -- NO QUESTIONS!!!!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ereuter
There are a lot, of extra commas, in that, story.
And ,some of them ,are placed a bit strangely ,as well!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
I just read the full story in the Phoenix New Times (alternative newspaper).
Phoenix New Times story

This was a key part of the article:

According to their union contract, US Airways is supposed to foot the legal bill for any flight attendant sued for something she did as part of her official duties. The only caveat? If the flight attendant has shown "willful misconduct," the airline is off the hook.
From reading the article, US Airways position seems to be that the FA's showed "willful misconduct" because they all three lied about the incident when they said that other passengers noticed and asked about ice on the wings. That part of the story wasn't true. The FA's made that part up as a last-ditch effort to get the pilot to deice the plane.

(I would have done the same thing, too, so I feel for the flight attendants.)
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:26 am

Programs: BD Diamond Club Gold
Originally Posted by Aviation Herald
US Airways let the flight attendants know, that they are on their own for that law suit, and wouldn't carry the bills for legal representation, even though they were on duty and following required crew cooperation procedures to ensure safety of flight.
That is shocking. I don't care much about service and stuff when flying. It's just a matter of getting from A to B for me, but such statements will most likely keep me from flying USAirways in the future.

Shame on you, US Airways.

edit: oh and $%(&%E§" the cockpit crew. With such an attitude they are very likely to fail in a case of emergency. It's not just technical and flying skills, Operating an Aircraft is about efficient Teamwork.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:50 am

I asked around the campfire and word is one of the flight attendants had a personal problem with the captain and decided this would be a good way to mess with him.

I hope the pilot prevails and the FA looses his/her house.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, United 1P
Able, I think your unsubstanitated rumor is uncalled for.

It's obvious the FAs were acting in the best interest of the airline. The quote from the de-icing crew makes it even more obvious.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by able
I asked around the campfire and word is one of the flight attendants had a personal problem with the captain and decided this would be a good way to mess with him.
With the Captain or the FO? I thought the suit was filed by the FO?

bbc z, there are always two (usually more) sides to every story. I'm happy to hear any inside insights able might have.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, United 1P
I understand that there are two sides to a story. But if one side doesn't want to divulge information, then I can only act on what I know.

If able or anyone from the pilots side would like to substanitate anything, I more than invite it.

Also, I kind of expected a little more outrage from the US Air forum over this. Do you guys not care about your wellbeing when you fly? Considering the exact same situation in the past occured and caused 24 deaths, how can you fault the FAs?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC E
Anybody else note that the captain claimed to defer the ultimate decision whether or not to deice to the first officer? The captain holds the responsibility for that decision and is accountable for his or her actions. That's why they get paid the big bucks, as they say.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone want to see [and have copious amounts of free time] how messy this multi-year case has become can checkout this url:
http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/
and type in the case number for Ed Gannon's lawsuit: CV2006092488

...probably normal for lawsuits these days, but he got an order of protection against one or more of the FA's, they got a monetary judgment against him for $2K and there's probably more dirt I didn't haven't time to gleam in a quick read.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:47 pm

The F/As may have saved the lives of everyone on board. There was a crash caused quite a while back on a Fokker 28 by ice build up on the wings. The F/As saw the ice but felt embarrassed to say anything because they thought the pilots would not take their concerns seriously. Had the f/as said something the entire accident may have been avoided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.