Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First leg in Y, second in first, is there a checked bag fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:30 am
Original Poster

First leg in Y, second in first, is there a checked bag fee?

The website isn't really clear.

It says exempt if confirmed in first at time of check in. Well I'm confirmed in first for the second leg when I check in for my first leg.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
This question came up way back when the fees first started and I confirmed with the ticket counter manager here in PHX that if you are flying F class for any of the day's segments then the fees are waived. So if you're Y from SAN-PHX, then F from PHX to BDL - no fees.

However if you're only flying the outbound in Y and the return on a different day in F then you have to pay the fees on the outbound.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:12 am
Original Poster

That does help, thanks. Same day segments so I hope the counter people know the rule.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
This question came up way back when the fees first started and I confirmed with the ticket counter manager here in PHX that if you are flying F class for any of the day's segments then the fees are waived. So if you're Y from SAN-PHX, then F from PHX to BDL - no fees.

However if you're only flying the outbound in Y and the return on a different day in F then you have to pay the fees on the outbound.

Hope this helps.

On these same lines, as a US elite, when I've been upgraded on the 2nd of a connecting flight (PHX-DCA-BUF upgraded on DCA-BUF not PHX-DCA), I was told in PHX that my bags had to be less than 50 lbs. Had I been upgraded for the first leg, I believe that goes to 70 lbs. Is this the way it should be, or was I misinformed?

I ended up taking a shoe (yes, 1 shoe) out of a checked bag and squeezed it into my backpack, and that solved the 1 lb or whatever the overage was. Was just a bit of a PITA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.