Goodbye Kettles, hello McCallisters!

Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Goodbye Kettles, hello McCallisters!

Got a bit of a chuckle after reading this [less than satisfactory] FAQ from the most recent About US:

The food provided by LSG has been overpriced and less than tasty since we first allowed them to supply our flights with BOB meals. Maybe it's time we live up to our "low cost" reputation and just get rid of the food. Our customers can and often do buy food before the flights. And what they buy in the airport is ten times better than anything we offer through LSG.
Answer:
Though we don’t provide free beverages in coach, we do still offer the ability to purchase them as a value-added service in conjunction with our a la carte-style pricing. We try to think of meals in the same way. Customers don’t always have time to grab something on their way to a flight (think of the McCallisters running through the airport in Home Alone). Further, customers often don’t decide they want something until they are at least 35,000 feet from the nearest restaurant. And even though we don’t receive any revenue from BOB meal sales, it’s just another option we provide that passengers on other low cost carriers won’t find.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Value-added service!?!?

I love this:
And even though we don’t receive any revenue from BOB meal sales...
What!? Them why do it/why charge?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by me4yankees
Value-added service!?!?

I love this:

As is explained in the FAQ answer, we offer the BOB as a service to customers, so that they (or at least some of them) have the option of buying food if they don't have their own. We don't get any revenue from it because all revenue collected for food sales is handed directly to LSG. LSG provides the food, and assumes the risk of the food not being sold. In return, they collect 100% of the revenue. The only thing USAirways gets out of the deal is the ability to advertise that they offer food for sale on board, which is an option that isn't offered by some airlines.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:23 pm

I'm a little far "into the evening"! none the less I'm surprised Tempe can even spell Value Added much less use it in a complete sentence.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:29 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
It still gets my attention how much in denial they are about being a "low cost carrier".
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by me4yankees
Doesn't it have something to do with US getting free F meals as a part of the bargain?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Are those posted on the US website?

Is it me, or do those quotes seem a little unprofessional - if they are posted on a website, news quote, etc.?

-jeremy
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
As is explained in the FAQ answer, we offer the BOB as a service to customers, so that they (or at least some of them) have the option of buying food if they don't have their own. We don't get any revenue from it because all revenue collected for food sales is handed directly to LSG. LSG provides the food, and assumes the risk of the food not being sold. In return, they collect 100% of the revenue. The only thing USAirways gets out of the deal is the ability to advertise that they offer food for sale on board, which is an option that isn't offered by some airlines.
I read the article. It just sounds like management is trying to snow someone or spin this so that employees believe that charging for meals for which the company earns no revenue is a good thing. Of course, I think meals should be complimentary even in coach and if not, then there should be a valid reason for charging the customer, like revenue. This does not seem like a real "favor."

I am glad I do not have to worry about this nonsense anymore!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by kmfdm91
Are those posted on the US website?

Is it me, or do those quotes seem a little unprofessional - if they are posted on a website, news quote, etc.?

-jeremy
They are part of the weekly employee newsletter, About US.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by PineyBob
I'm a little far "into the evening"! none the less I'm surprised Tempe can even spell Value Added much less use it in a complete sentence.
I'm sure that the person seated in row 27 who had no time to stop to purchase a meal in the terminal doesn't not consider BOB to be a "value added" service when there is no food left by the time the FA's reach row 27.

Now if US allowed customers to order and pay for their meals online or at the kiosks to ensure that they got one if they wanted on.......THAT would be a value added service!!!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:07 am

Way way back when CCY actually talked to me I had asked about ordering meals on line. I got an interesting answer. Apparently there is more to it than the IT side of it. Each city has seperate agreements with the food concessions in the airport and this impacts US's ability to set up something like ordering on line.

The feel I got was that it was looked at pretty long and hard because they felt it might offer a competitive advantage
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:25 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
The feel I got was that it was looked at pretty long and hard because they felt it might offer a competitive advantage
Even if they did have a centralized agreement, that makes the humble assumption that US IT could actually handle it. That's a bit of a reach.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Even if they did have a centralized agreement, that makes the humble assumption that US IT could actually handle it. That's a bit of a reach.

Old US could have handled it as IT services were mostly contracted out to EDS which has the ability to actually run an IT department and build infrastructure.

Unlike the rolling abortion of an IT department formally run by "Scary Joe Beery" at the current US. All we've seen from them is the inability to organize a one car funeral
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Way way back when CCY actually talked to me I had asked about ordering meals on line. I got an interesting answer. Apparently there is more to it than the IT side of it. Each city has seperate agreements with the food concessions in the airport and this impacts US's ability to set up something like ordering on line.

If selling meals on long flights proves to be too complicated, they should either figure out a method of revamping the way they provision and sell meals......or they should provide them for free.

Customers are not necessarily expecting a free meal, but I don't think that there is any reason to fault pax for expecting food to be available for purchase on flights exceeding 2.5 hours (which really translates into 3.5+ hours, when you factor in boarding and tarmac wait times). The problem lies in the guesswork, and their has got to be a better way to eliminate more of the guesswork.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:18 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Old US could have handled it as IT services were mostly contracted out to EDS which has the ability to actually run an IT department and build infrastructure.
The infrastructure pieces were. Application management, in some (many) cases was not. Remember "the programmer?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.