MERGED THREADS - CONFIRMED: US Airways Bonus Miles To Return (Retroactive)

Old Nov 20, 08, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by jucundus View Post
just restores the status quo ante.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this appears to only affect Preferred (Silver and up) status, not every flier. So Mrs. SLVRich and little ones still get actual flight miles when <500. Why not just back to 500 min for every flight - isn't that how it used to be?
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:26 am

Programs: US Chairman; Hilton Silver; Hertz Gold; Starwood Platinum; Marriott Silver
Smile Preferred miles back

This is the first time I have posted on FlyerTalk. I have been an avid reader for quite awhile but never had a reason to post a reply. All I can say is wow! This is great news for me. I had 2 mileage runs set for next month from JAX-LAX. With the bonus, I don't need to fly to remain Chairman. I'm glad to hear that they listened when I called and read all the signatures on the petition. Looks like I will be sitting in fron of the bus for another year!!
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:27 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Welcome Fern

I'd like to welcome you to FT and hope to hear and see more of you. I was 2 steps out the door to Delta and now I might reconsider. Hopefully you'll offer some promo or option for those of us a few miles short of our previous status.

I had already started to fly Delta on some routes.
This late in the game it would be nice and a mileage run or two can't hurt....
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
I was on the fringe of changing... I was watching this thread with hope ever since I saw it appear yesterday, but now that I've seen the multiple press releases, and received the email, I now have at least a little faith. Now I'll try to stick it out for at least another 6 months and see what happens.
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (from US CP); SPG Plat; Cunard Plat
Hearty welcome to FlyerTalk, DMInsider - way to go

For those of us who still fly US, Christmas came early . Thank you! I can now plan travel for 2009 based on the good news you bring.

Hope you'd stick around on these boards!
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:33 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite 50; US Airways Silver Gift; AA Usedtabe; UA Never Was; Delta Never if I can help it
Welcome to FT!

As with many I took the changes to DM seriously and altered my flying pattern to be "less loyal." As a result I will not be CP next year (with luck and the reinstatement of the 500 mile minimum I will make it to Gold.)

It's nice to have these changes - with some you'll find it's too little, too late, but for most of us it's a welcome change that may make a difference for our flying choices next year.

Now let's get US to start working on all those fees for preferred members to book or change rewards, etc.....
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:36 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Hey Fern

The internet has the power to ruin us. Do you guys FINALLY get it or are you a one hit wonder?? You guys come on here and spread the FF love while the REAL employees clean up your mess. And lest we forget the threats some employees have received from management for those posting here and on USAviation.

I hope you all are finally seeing that we complain because we care. We want US to be special, not generic. We need you to be human, not a robot. We need tools, not toys.

I am pleased you have communicated, but you have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to gain back the FF AND employee's respect and trust!! You ran off many and now are panicking. Frankly, this is too little, too late.

Please tell someone there to get a little vision and stop behaving in a reactionary way.
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:37 am

Programs: US CP
This is good news, but I can't wait to see the crack IT team handle the retroactive mileage posting
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Welcome to FT Mr. Fernandez,
This is good news for the loyal customers of USAirways. For many of us it has been a long time since we felt that US cared about us or listened to what we customers were telling them. Although the tone of this board can be grouchy most of us care about USAirways and want you to succeed. We just want to get value for our money and feel like our repeat business is appreciated. I hope you will continue to read and post here.
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Well, good to see they've at least partly come to their senses. Shame for them though they won't get the tens of thousands I've spent on their competitors since then.
Old Nov 20, 08, 8:52 am

Programs: Dividend Miles Chairman; Marriott Platinum; Hilton HHonors Diamond
I am glad that the PTB made the decision to recognize their best customers. I, too, have been planning on doing Continental starting next year, since it didn't look like I would make Chairman again. This change and a couple of last minute assignments will put me back into CP for 2009, so I will not be quite as quick to move. The ariticle in the AZRepublic says they crunched the numbers and hadn't seen a lot of us jumping ship, but I think that would have changed after Jan 1.

Fern, Thank you very much for posting here. It does make us feel like somebody in Tempe is listening!
Old Nov 20, 08, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Plat Preferred

All I can say is WOW!!

I am stunned and thrilled Thank you!!! (I thought this was going to be an e-mail saying that you were taking something else away)

You have just re-instilled some confidence in management and that while you are in the business to make money that you do care about your loyal customers!!

Thanks and WELCOME TO FT....
Old Nov 20, 08, 9:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, US Airways Platinum
This is great news, but too late for me. I have already moved most of my travel to Delta and Southwest Airlines. I will not qualify for Elite next year. I could do a mileage run, but am not sure it is worth the effort. Delta and Southwest planes are so much cleaner. I must also say the Flight Attendants are also more professional on Delta, and more fun on Southwest. On USAir I have a $150 change fee. But this will make me stop and rethink my travel options. Living in Phx. I was a loyal America West flyer. It was after all "my hometown" airlines and a America West/US Airways member since 1990.

Last edited by Tutu; Nov 20, 08 at 9:21 am
Old Nov 20, 08, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by flight62 View Post
I hope you all are finally seeing that we complain because we care.
Well put.

And let me add a welcome to DMInsider (and USAirways to FT). As others have mentioned, the internet and social media is a very powerful tool that USAirways Corp. Comm. has ignored for way too long. But, I suppose, better late the never.

Well I applaud the decision to reverse the original, very poor decision, let me add another point to this --

Through the series of recent customer unfriendly maneuvers, USAirways has succeeded in driving customers like me (an ex US1), and my revenue, away. No amount of reversals will change the fact that I very happily fly CO and DL. Yes, it might lessen the sting on the rare occasions I have to fly US, but you'll never be my primary carrier again.

The fact remains that US offers an uncompetitive product with no real advantages (be it price, service, consistency, or reliability), 500 mile minimums or not.

I take this reversal as a clear indication of what I already realized - you can't run a profitable airline without a core group of high-fare paying customers. You wanted to become an "LCC" and that's fine. But it was a short-sighted move when you did so at the cost of alienating your "best" customers.

I feel like you failed to factor in the fact that your fixed operational costs are higher than the true LCC's. That and leisure travel is a fickle beast (much more so than business travel). When you're trying to compete on nothing more than price, and you can't sustainably offer the lowest price, you get a failed business model (feel free to ask for your MBA correspondence course certificate to be mailed to you).

Just to put this announcement in context - this year, by not flying USAirways I have: never paid for an in-flight beverage, never paid for an alcoholic beverage in a club, never paid for internet in a club, never had to pay to check a bag (or two), never had a lost bag, never missed a meeting (because of irreg. ops.), never paid to make a reservation over the phone, never had to pay to select a seat, never had to pay for in-flight food, never had to deal with the clodgy and fickle usairways.com, never had to fear I'd miss my flight because my reservations "didn't sync" or the kiosks would be down. Basically, I no longer hate to travel.

I think the only thing I miss about USAirways is connecting through DCA and grabbing Five Guys for lunch.

USAirways drove customers like me away. You did it. No one else. Your obsession with nickel and diming has cost you tens of thousands of dollars from me in the long run. You created your own failure because you took your customers for granted. I'm honestly amazed at two things: that USAirways is still in business, and that your shareholders haven't revolted and forced a regime change amongst the management ranks.

Best of luck operating the flying vending machine.

Last edited by belynch; Nov 20, 08 at 9:38 am
Old Nov 20, 08, 9:24 am

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by flight62 View Post
Hey Fern

The internet has the power to ruin us. Do you guys FINALLY get it or are you a one hit wonder?? You guys come on here and spread the FF love while the REAL employees clean up your mess. And lest we forget the threats some employees have received from management for those posting here and on USAviation.

I hope you all are finally seeing that we complain because we care. We want US to be special, not generic. We need you to be human, not a robot. We need tools, not toys.

I am pleased you have communicated, but you have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to gain back the FF AND employee's respect and trust!! You ran off many and now are panicking. Frankly, this is too little, too late.

Please tell someone there to get a little vision and stop behaving in a reactionary way.
Here...Here! Very well said Flight62. If it wasn't still early in the morning, I'd toast you with a drink. Since it is still morning for me, I will raise my coffee cup to you. Hope that is ok.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: