Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coins for Extras

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Coins for Extras

Has anybody actually paid with coins for anything extra? I am a UA1K, and will have to suffer in the back this weekend on a flight out of PHL. Luckily it will be on a flight less than 500 miles. I am wondering what reactions, if any, people have received when using 4 rolls of pennies to buy a soft drink.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Why would you do something like that to the FA's? Do you really think Doug Parker gets handed soda/snack receipts?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Well, why don't you tear the paper off and give several double handfulls of coins while you are at it.

I am not sure who would find this amusing.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
I will consider ripping off the paper.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
While I would never do something like this because it only hurts the FAs consider the fact that you're also hurting other pax. Do you think a FA wants to keep all that change and then recount it at the end of the flight? If I was the FA who received all that change, I would probably give it back as change to someone who paid for a soda with a $5.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
I will consider ripping off the paper.

Dont worry about the f/a's, they could find a new job if they dont like the one they have!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
I've only been on WN since the change, so no first-hand experiences to report.
If I do have to fly US in the future, I would just buy a bottle of something in the terminal (even if it costs a couple of bucks more).

IMHO, the coin idea would have worked and sent a strong message if everyone did it. If I recall correctly when the idea was brought in this fourm, only a few people wanted to do it.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat
I am wondering what reactions, if any, people have received when using 4 rolls of pennies to buy a soft drink.
Who cares what the reaction is. Like another poster said, if you are looking for a reaction, unwrap the pennies. I think it would be better to give a mix of change--quarters, pennies, nickels, dimes and sit there and count it while they come through.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:58 pm

Has anybody actually paid with coins for anything extra? I am a UA1K, and will have to suffer in the back this weekend on a flight out of PHL. Luckily it will be on a flight less than 500 miles. I am wondering what reactions, if any, people have received when using 4 rolls of pennies to buy a soft drink.
I'm sorry but I fail to see what kind of message this is going to send to management because they are never going to see your rolls of pennies. The only people that will come in contact with it are the f/a's that you pawn them off on and then the poor guy sitting next to you that is going to receive it in change when they pay with a larger bill. Since they have started charging I haven't had one person pay in rolls of anything, the majority have either given exact change or close to it.
Please don't shoot the messenger, it wasn't their idea to charge in the first place.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

Dont worry about the f/a's, they could find a new job if they dont like the one they have!
that is so arrogant and unhelpful. please post something useful in future. Have you seen or are even aware what the job market is like at the moment? How dare you flippantly tell FAs to find another job. Outrageous post, you should be banned for that comment.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
Please explain why you think that this might be a good idea.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I am wondering what reactions, if any, people have received when using 4 rolls of pennies to buy a soft drink.
Juvenile. You want to send a message, mail your CP card to Tempe and start booking Southwest. None of this stupidity is the FAs' fault.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:11 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by warbo
that is so arrogant and unhelpful. please post something useful in future. Have you seen or are even aware what the job market is like at the moment? How dare you flippantly tell FAs to find another job. Outrageous post, you should be banned for that comment.
There are plenty of miserable, bitter, angry entitled US Airways haters. You tagged the president!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Something that I have been working hard to teach my children is that when you insult another person you actually make yourself look worse than the person you are insulting. I think that handing a flight attendant rolls of pennies to pay for a drink falls under this category.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Much as I dislike what US has become, I see this as completely ineffective, childish, and impacting those with no power to control the decisions we disagree with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.