Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4th Quarter Elite Checkin Status. Will You Make It?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
4th Quarter Elite Checkin Status. Will You Make It?

Nope. Been Chairman's last 5+ years running, but stopped flying US after the elimination of bonus miles in August. At 78,000 and holding, so I'll still be Platinum, but could have been Chairman's again by now had I continued flying.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Looks like for the first time in 12 years I will not have status on US ( or any airline)-- Job change, lack of business travel and burning US points instead of earning.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: Mar Plat, Gold US/*A
I'm at Silver with 45000. Have 2 planned trips that will get to me about 48800. I would have made gold easily with bonuses. (F U USAir) The question is would i get "complimentary" gold if i hit 49,000 by the end of the year? Or IIRC is that only AA? Also, if I do fall short is there any way to buy myself to gold and/or is it worth it? Considering I am moving to montreal next year and will be doing A LOT of international travel (n.b. most likely on business class) is it worth trying to get gold this year so I can have lounge access?

Sidenote- Either way I am switching to Canada Air for *A. Partly because I'm moving to Montreal next year and partly because US is complete utter garbage.

-fro
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I re-qualified for Silver in April before all of this masochism occurred. I stopped flying US for the most part (hard to avoid'em being in the South) but have credited mainly to UA. I will be Silver on 3 airlines next year, CO, UA and US but had I stayed on US, I would have moved up from gold to platinum this year.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Stopped flying US air in august. Had 68,000 miles then. Would have easily made Plat. Dont really care now.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Last year was my first time flying more than once a year. I made Silver in November. This year I requalified for Silver in early July. I never had plans to make it to Gold. I only have two more flights planned this year. One from BOS to SJU on US and another from BOS to OAK or SFO on Jetblue using a buddy pass
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:24 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frodaddy
I would have made gold easily with bonuses. (F U USAir) The question is would i get "complimentary" gold if i hit 49,000 by the end of the year? Or IIRC is that only AA? Also, if I do fall short is there any way to buy myself to gold and/or is it worth it?
Bonuses wouldn't have gotten you gold. They don't count towards preferred status. Never did. If you're at 48k including bonuses, you won't even be silver. Would be good to double check your math and the formulas for qualifying such that you don't wind up with no status.

FWIW, at 48,800 I'd fly for gold. The *G will be a big help for lounge access and most definitely worth it. Flying will likely be cheaper than the buy up offer US gives you.

Most airlines will bump you up if you get close to the next tier, but remember that this is unofficial and in no way a sure thing. I would be surprised if AA did any bumping this year after their double EQM promo.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:25 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Oh, and to stay on topic, I will requalifying for my target status next year. Which would be none.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
This year was the first, and likely the only, time that I made Chairman's. Next year I'll slink back to Platinum.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Nope. First time since 2000 I won't make Chairman's. Even with 10,000 preferred credit card miles, I'm at 34,000 for the year and 32 segments on US. I'll finish around 40,000 miles and 40 segments -- solidly silver. My family is switching all our earning to United on January 1.

David
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:41 am

Nope. When they discontinued the 500 MPS I decided to drive. They won't miss me since I'm only silver.

Bobette
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I am based in CLT...

I am just over 68k and 69 segments right now. So I should me making Plat again this year.

I am at 69 Marriott stays as well and will be making Plat there too.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I was Preferred Plus (the equivalent of Gold), Gold Preferred, Chairman's Preferred, and Platinum Preferred from 1998-2008. My last US itinerary this year (all itineraries flown on E-TUV redemptions and one E-Saver) is Oct. 17-19 and I will finish the year with 31 segments, down from 91 segments in 2007. I have no current plans to fly US in 2009 unless there is no other option.

I have flown 52 flights on Delta this year and will end the year Gold Medallion. I am currently only 261 MQMs short of Gold. I plan to concentrate my flying in 2009 on SkyTeam, DL/NW/CO, crediting to DL.

If I fly a Star Alliance carrier, it will be UA crediting to UA until CO moves to *A,, which will probably be the end of 2009 from what I have heard.

Last edited by me4yankees; Oct 14, 2008 at 11:44 am
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: US GP CO PP Hilton D MarriottG
Going from chairman to maybe gold, will be silver if not gold. Gave my miles and dollars to CO this year and not sorry about it at all. Although I hear upgrades easy to come by these days.

CO listened and didn't kill 500 min with Elites and increased their F inventory while US decreased, maybe will stay silver with them next year maybe not.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:59 am

Based in PHX, I have 29,072 preferred miles YTD (including 10k from spending $25k on the Signature Visa), 17 segments, so I've qualified for Silver again due to miles.

Only one more trip booked this year, but that won't be enough for Gold. Bad year for business travel, it was cut out completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.