Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Silver on US [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
I'd much rather be a Senator than a Preferred. Preferred sucks, unless you're a Chairman or you care a lot about domestic upgrades. If *G is what you're after, credit a few flights to Aegean.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
There's a great thread over in the Star Alliance forum about Star Alliance Silver status:

Overview of Star Alliance Silver Status
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: Diamond Club Silver
*A Silver standby on US Airways?

As a *A Silver member, can I standby for an earlier flight on US Airways FOC? I know there's a "Priority Standby" privilege, but just want to know that I'm good to go to the airport maybe a day early if I need to?

Cheers!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Not last time we were on US Air.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by T6JSA
As a *A Silver member, can I standby for an earlier flight on US Airways FOC? I know there's a "Priority Standby" privilege, but just want to know that I'm good to go to the airport maybe a day early if I need to?

Cheers!
Best you ask this at the US Airways forum. Same day standby may be possible.. but doubt it is FOC unless you're that airline's top elite FFP.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
It's only free for US elites; everyone else has to pay (but only if you clear the standby list). When I tried this last year, though, the gate agent couldn't figure out how to make me pay, so I got it for free.

"Standby" only refers to same-day flights; anything the prior calendar day requires changing the ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by paytonc
... the gate agent couldn't figure out how to make me pay ...
I've seen this happen more than once in recent years for a few items including GoUpgrades ...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by aidanc
I've seen this happen more than once in recent years for a few items including GoUpgrades ...
I once tried to use my remaining US currency to buy Economy Plus at the gate on United TATL. Agent gave me a 'You have to be kidding' look and booked me in there any way ^
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:25 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I am moving this over to the good people of the US Airways forum for further discussion.

starflyergold
bmi forum mod team
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond; AA: Exec Plat
I've been able to do this many many times without hassle or charge as a Silver for both myself and anyone on my Confirmation Code. I think it gets more difficult if you're trying to do it for others traveling with you who may have purchased tickets separately.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver
Originally Posted by geaux_tigers
I've been able to do this many many times without hassle or charge as a Silver for both myself and anyone on my Confirmation Code. I think it gets more difficult if you're trying to do it for others traveling with you who may have purchased tickets separately.
Thanks for this - is that on the day or any day before?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:12 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by T6JSA
Thanks for this - is that on the day or any day before?
I think geaux_tigers is an US Silver, not any *A Silver.

LAX
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: None
US has two programs for taking an earlier same day flight - Move Up and standby.

Move Up applies if the flight isn't booked to capacity. The agent (ticket counter or gate if coming from a connection) takes your $50 if you're not US elite and hands you a boarding pass with a confirmed seat assignment on the spot - no waiting to see if misconnects or no-shows result in an empty seat. The $50 fee basically replaces the $150 change fee but only for earlier same day flights. The only exception to the same day requirement is for a handful of flights that leave the western U.S. after midnight headed to the east coast. For those, earlier flights before midnight are considered same day even though technically they're a day earlier.

Standby is the "right before the door closes there's an empty seat" thing. The agent will put you on the standby list and you only get on if there's an empty seat when your name gets to the top. There should be no charge for standby.

Jim
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Zone 5

I am a UA 2P/CO Silver and have been assigned Zone 5 for a couple of flights now. Not sure why. In the past, I have always been Zone 2.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rakarnik
I am a UA 2P/CO Silver and have been assigned Zone 5 for a couple of flights now. Not sure why. In the past, I have always been Zone 2.
Has your BP shown *S and your UA FF #?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.