Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Shake up at the castle (3 execs, including VP Marketing Travis Christ, to leave US)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shake up at the castle (3 execs, including VP Marketing Travis Christ, to leave US)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
FWIW, I've met Nocella, and while he is a decent enough and forthright fellow he did NOT strike me as a marketing guy.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
I think one point you have wrong is that if you live in PHX, CLT or PHL and US went under the consumer would pay more. I would contend they would pay less as more competition would flood their fortres hub. Now what they will lose is the number of non-stops.
Although it's old (April, 2004) here's an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal. (No subscription required to read it.)

It compares a city that lost hub status (BNA) to one that still has a hub (CVG) The gist of the article is that Nashville officials believe they are better off without the hub.

How a city can win by losing its airport hub status

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what percentage of CLT's passengers are O&D and what percentage are connecting?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
As a longtime fan of HP, I am sad to say that I'm in the camp of those wanting to see US go down in flames. At this point, I'd rather take my chances with whatever arises from the ashes.

As someone posted earlier, I would hope that other airline managers would learn what not to do from US' mistakes.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Unhappy You've got to be kidding

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
. . . I am sad to say that I'm in the camp of those wanting to see US go down in flames. . .
You have made clear in the past that you gave up on the airline long ago and taken your business elsewhere; a responsible way to voice your displeasure.

But wanting US to 'go down in flames'? Which would result in financially devastating 35,000 families? How could you possibly wish such ill-will on so many people?

I certainly hope you or your loved ones are never caught up in such a misfortune.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
AZ I agree. Thank you...
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I don't think that US will totally go out of business. They would have their routes and assets (and probably many of their employees) sold to another airline, or totally absorbed by a healthier airline. At this point, maybe WN would snap up their domestic network, and sell off their foreign assets.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: US1
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
As a longtime fan of HP, I am sad to say that I'm in the camp of those wanting to see US go down in flames. At this point, I'd rather take my chances with whatever arises from the ashes.

As someone posted earlier, I would hope that other airline managers would learn what not to do from US' mistakes.
Byrd,

I am not a fan on the new US either however having said that, it's the HP management that took over and made old US the crap that it is now.

Before the merger old US had a superior product that HP ever had.

At least old US management did not lie to it's customers and actually listened to what we had to say.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:20 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You have made clear in the past that you gave up on the airline long ago and taken your business elsewhere; a responsible way to voice your displeasure.

But wanting US to 'go down in flames'? Which would result in financially devastating 35,000 families? How could you possibly wish such ill-will on so many people?

I certainly hope you or your loved ones are never caught up in such a misfortune.
I fully disagree with AZ Travels the WOrld - rather than scolding those who complain - and blame them - the 35,000 families should turn against the current management which clearly leads the company to yet another bancruptsy - but this time they all will loose big time, as if they did not loose already.
The only hope for this airline is to colaps - and get picked up and rebuild by someone else. It is those who have no imagination and are in denial - who are to blame - the USAirways appologists like you. The only hope for FF is that this company goes in flames and those who acquire the remains will be smart to recognise that FF elites are worth keeping.
So far this year I took my business elsewhere, I only flew some 7,000 miles on USAirways, I saved enough to buy myself the Chairman's status at USAirways, and I have enough left in my pocket that I could buy the business class tickets for cash that would have cost me 160,000 miles from USAirways. I do miss the old USAirways employees, but 90% of those I knew jumped the ship anyway. Who are you kidding AZ Travels the World - you know nothing about the real World.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by m44
Who are you kidding AZ Travels the World - you know nothing about the real World.
Perhaps

Originally Posted by m44
the USAirways appologists like you
Now that accusation would be a first.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:33 pm

I agree with AZ. I feel bad for the employees at US. They are at the mercy of management.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by safetymom
I agree with AZ. I feel bad for the employees at US. They are at the mercy of management.
Whilst I do feel sorry for employees affected in any job losses the notion of "creative distruction" by Joseph Schumpeter comes to mind.

Companies fail and fade away and are eventually replaced by new and better ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_destruction
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:59 pm

That is a nice thought but for most of the employees they didn't do anything wrong but could lose their jobs.

It is always nice to stand up for what is right but sometimes other things come first. How are these employees going to pay bills, eat, etc. if the airline fails?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.