Wiki Posts
Search

So...who is stayin' with US?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, BA Gold
So...who is stayin' with US?

Minimum of 500 miles gone, bonus miles gone, no movies on domestic flights, $2 for a soft drink....it's getting harder to stay loyal and I have seen many posts of FF announcing their retreat from US. Yes, I have thought about it as well, CO is coming to ITH in the fall....

So, who is staying with US and why? Just curious....
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP, CO PE, HH Diamond, MR Platinum, BW Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flemish
Minimum of 500 miles gone, bonus miles gone, no movies on domestic flights, $2 for a soft drink....it's getting harder to stay loyal and I have seen many posts of FF announcing their retreat from US. Yes, I have thought about it as well, CO is coming to ITH in the fall....

I am for a variety of reasons. They include:

#1 (and most important) - They get me to where I need to go safely.
#2 - I'm always treated quite well by the airline in all areas (on the ground, in the air, etc.) and its good service that means more to me than anything.
#3 - Complimentary, unlimited upgrades without having to use some sort of upgrade instrument.
#4 - Ease of redeeming miles when I want and for the cities, flights, etc. I want.

Those are just a few of the reasons.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
95% chance of bailing to CO for me.....

I used all the miles my wife, mom, dad and brother had.....

Why should they fly ghetto, if they can go SWA!

Not sure what US is thinking, but they CAN NOT COMPETE as a LCC!

I'm next with a with a switch to CO if it goes well to PLT!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flemish

Reason #1: Upgrades. Never been preferred on another non-low cost airline, but love love love the upgrades. Do I hate the dirty seats? Yes. It's really amazing how universal the "dirty first class seat problem" is at US.

Reason #2: I travel mostly to IND, PIT, and CLT -- lots of (former) home turf.

Reason #3: Low cost. Again, even being a measly Silver last year and Gold this year, I'm not paying the bag fees, the soft drink fees, etc. As for no IFE, I'm a sleeper. Plug in my iPod and try to stay awake through the seatbelt instructions. I'm the guy who usually gets nudged by the F/A saying I have to be awake and alert and paying attention to the emergency exit instructions. Hrrrmph.

Reason #4: Website. Not sure where all these comments against US's website come from, but I flew AA and United last year and their interface was totally unusable IMHO. I want to know if I'm flying on the actual US metal. I try to avoid third party operators like the plague after horrendous experiences with Mesa.

There ya have it. Flying IND-CLT is a breeze. CLT-PIT ditto. The small US / Southwest concourse at LAX is divine.

In fact, US has solved my biggest complaint. LAS. Used to fly CLT-SAN or CLT-LAX with stops in LAS. Thank god that's over with now. Never left on time out of there and was never in a plane that *didn't* have mechanical issues out the wazoo.

Who knows. Maybe the pessimists are right and US will find a way to screw me over and have me go elsewhere.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:35 am

Programs: US1
I use to be a die hard fan of US. I left. I got my first flight with DL next week.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-LifetimeP, HH-G
I am really on the fence. I'm over 4.5 MM miles with these guys, have been CP since it's inception, but can't believe they're taking away half the miles I could earn. I'm over 50,000 EQM so far and have several flights booked on US for the next month. Being based in PHL kind of limits me, but if I switch over to my UA MP number for my upcoming flights and my overseas flights in the fall, I should qualify quickly for Exec Premier for 2009.

What really ticks me off is the reason behind the pulling the bonus miles. It only sweetens the balance sheet and popped up Doug's bonus. It doesn't help the long term health of the business at all and the board let him do it.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by flywaywaytoomuch
I am for a variety of reasons. They include:

#1 (and most important) - They get me to where I need to go safely.
I never understood why this reason is important when deciding which domestic airline to fly. Is there a domestic airline that regularly (or even occasionally) injures its passengers? If so, please let us know so we can be sure to avoid it!

I bring this up because sometimes, when I have a concern about a US flight I've taken, a US agent will say "Did you get there safely?" That's the most laughable response. It implies that US's standard for customer service is simply the absolute minimum necessary to keep US in business. For if US flights were regularly injuring/killing passengers, US would close shop immediately.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I made the switch from US to CO and have never looked back..I am a satisfied CO customer flying from PHL..and CO is starting PHL-EWR Dash8 flights in October..^
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
As of right now I'm staying with US. Being based out of PHL it will be difficult to switch but I'm certainly considering it if no other airlines match the preferred bonus miles and charging for in flight drinks. My choice will probably be CO since they are joining *A and still have the 500 mile minimum in addition to bonus miles.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-LifetimeP, HH-G
CO to add PHL - EWR flights

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I made the switch from US to CO and have never looked back..I am a satisfied CO customer flying from PHL..and CO is starting PHL-EWR Dash8 flights in October..^
I did not know this. Thanks for the heads up. I did know they codeshare with AMTRAK out of PHL, but this only makes the decision a little easier. I also travel to Europe regularly and CO has great service out of EWR. What's the best guess as to when CO will join *A ? I think we're talking middle of 2009. There isn't even a date set yet for their codesharing with UA which was announced prior.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
I have been CP for 4 years. This year I gave AA enough of my business to reach their EXP level. However, I am still traveling enough with US to achieve Plat (possibly CP but it is a long shot). I live in ELP and much of my personal travel is to LAS on US. I enjoy the upgrades my status gets me even though those are very short flights. Some of my business travel is to PIT and again, I enjoy the upgrades (the other carriers fly regional jets into PIT). I can't bring myself to fully cutoff from US but I am not happy about many of their recent decisions.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP, CO PE, HH Diamond, MR Platinum, BW Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I never understood why this reason is important when deciding which domestic airline to fly. Is there a domestic airline that regularly (or even occasionally) injures its passengers? If so, please let us know so we can be sure to avoid it!

I bring this up because sometimes, when I have a concern about a US flight I've taken, a US agent will say "Did you get there safely?" That's the most laughable response. It implies that US's standard for customer service is simply the absolute minimum necessary to keep US in business. For if US flights were regularly injuring/killing passengers, US would close shop immediately.
I never said there is an airline out there that regularly injures it passengers but there are airlines where their safety practices are questionable. What airlines have had the safety/maint. practices called into question?? Southwest Airlines, Delta Airlines, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines... Need I continue?? Notice what airline hasnt been involved in all that "drama", US Airways. They may cut and shave off things here and there, but maint. isnt one of them.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Tempe has finally managed to match Southwest in at least one area....customer expectations. Getting you there, whether on time or within the same week, in comfort, or with your bag at the same time is no longer all that important. Just getting you there is enough.

Welcome to the new US.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by flywaywaytoomuch
I never said there is an airline out there that regularly injures it passengers but there are airlines where their safety practices are questionable. What airlines have had the safety/maint. practices called into question?? Southwest Airlines, Delta Airlines, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines... Need I continue?? Notice what airline hasnt been involved in all that "drama", US Airways. They may cut and shave off things here and there, but maint. isnt one of them.
Good point about safety/maintenance issues, for sure. But it's not like any other domestic airlines have been injuring anyone either. Of course, it's smart to make sure you have the least probability of a mishap.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
My carrier priority:
1. DL
2. NW
3. CO (have to drive 2 hours to use them)
4. UA (have to drive 2 hours to use them)
5. US

I will never say never, but US is my last resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.