Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: How much longer until they close clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Speculation: How much longer until they close clubs?

Since US seems to not care about FFs anymore, how much longer until they disband all US Clubs?

They could keep the CLT C/D club as a $40 smoking area, but get rid of the rest of em.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
To be honest, Im shocked that they closed the RDU club over the GSO club. Im a huge fan of GSO, but am shocked that we got spared over RDU with more flights. Does anyone know how we got so lucky this time around? I wonder if it has to do with the switch in terminals at RDU combined with some sort of incentive from GSO's airport to keep it.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Right from the info. given employees yesterday:
"Two domestic USAIRWAYS clubs will close this summer (BWI, RDU) Discontinuing access to three European arrival airport lounges(MUC, FCO, ZUR)".
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Right from the info. given employees yesterday:
"Two domestic USAIRWAYS clubs will close this summer (BWI, RDU) Discontinuing access to three European arrival airport lounges(MUC, FCO, ZUR)".
So does this impact using the European lounges as a Star Gold member? I used the MUC lounge on arrival to shower, and before leaving last Dec.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
I was right in predicting a huge cut in "elite" status. I am inclined to believe clubs will be targeted next.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
So does this impact using the European lounges as a Star Gold member? I used the MUC lounge on arrival to shower, and before leaving last Dec.
I believe they're referring specifically to the arrivals lounges which were only available to Envoy pax - in MUC it was the Kempinski hotel. Dunno about Rome or Zurich.

Access to *G lounges would still be available, though technically few (if any) operate as arrivals lounges.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I think delivering this via an email on Fathers Day would be in line with US corporate directives. The spin being that now that all passengers will have to be at the gate, the flights will load quicker and more efficiently, rather than waiting for the pesky clubbers to mosey their way on down...
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
To be honest, Im shocked that they closed the RDU club over the GSO club. Im a huge fan of GSO, but am shocked that we got spared over RDU with more flights. Does anyone know how we got so lucky this time around? I wonder if it has to do with the switch in terminals at RDU combined with some sort of incentive from GSO's airport to keep it.
My guess is that the RDU & BWI clubs leases where up for renewal and they decided it was more cost effective to close the club then renew the lease.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
My guess is that the RDU & BWI clubs leases where up for renewal and they decided it was more cost effective to close the club then renew the lease.
BWI's bar area in the Club had been closed for a while. The sign said they were looking for another contractor to operate it, but now my guess is that they didn't want to re-new the liquior license because they knew it was going to be closed. I'll bet they had made the decision to close this club a long time ago. Sad...great people in the BWI Club.

If anyone would like to express their objection to the closing of the RDU or BWI Clubs, feel free to e-mail Constance Kersch, Sr. Manager US Airways Clubs.

[email protected]
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by gj83
Since US seems to not care about FFs anymore, how much longer until they disband all US Clubs?
I give it a few months.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
If US is still around a year from now, it would not surprise me in the slightest if the only clubs remaining are in PHL, CLT & PHX. It would be in line with combining "the worst of both programs": HP only had clubs in their hub airports prior to the merger.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:37 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I think it speaks more about how much WN has chewed into the US market share in RDU and BWI than anything else.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Club closures, and they're still advertising 3000 preferred miles for new club enrollments. Nice.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Club closures, and they're still advertising 3000 preferred miles for new club enrollments. Nice.
Bait & switch!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
According to the station manager at GSO, the reason the GSO club got spared was a financial one. Even though RDU and BWI see more pax passing through, apparently GSO generates more revenue (day passes, Priority Pass, etc). Hope that is a decision that lasts for awhile!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.