Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight in middle seat -- any compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, USAir SM, Starwood SPG, AVIS President's Club
Overweight in middle seat -- any compensation?

I spent an exceptionally uncomfortable 4 hours yesterday flying from PHX-DCA with a 300 lb+ woman next to me in the middle seat (I had the aisle). When she sat down she started to pull up the armrest -- asking me while she was doing it is if I minded -- and I told her that, yes, actually, I did mind.

So while I felt a bit guilty and being an insensitive and politically incorrect SOB, it was the only thing standing between me and her taking up 1/4 of my seat.

The flight was completely full (surprise, surprise), but my back still hurts from spending the entire flight leaning to my right as she overflowed over the armrest.

There were clearly no options available to mover either her or me on the flight real-time. has anyone asked for and received compensation after the fact in such an instance?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I don't think US has a policy regarding large passengers.

You can always send a complaint in -- maybe you will get an E-TUV voucher. Never hurts to try.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I would have complained right then and there - even if the flight were full. No way am I putting myself in pain for a POS. Try to get something but don't expect anything. The time to complain was before take-off
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:25 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by davidcf
So while I felt a bit guilty and being an insensitive and politically incorrect SOB, it was the only thing standing between me and her taking up 1/4 of my seat.
You shouldn't feel guilty or politically incorrect. I would have told her the same thing, and I might have even politely (as best I could) suggested she have purchased 2 seats or a first class seat.

But even more likely is I would have gotten off and demanded to be put on the next flight for no fee/charge.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
At one point I think flight62 mentioned that there are rules based on number of inches protruding into another seat. You should have talked to the FA.

Not sure if it is 1 or 2 inches from my memory. But FA should then give POS a choice to reseat or purchase two tickets.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: Continental: Platinum, US Air: Platinum; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by iztok
At one point I think flight62 mentioned that there are rules based on number of inches protruding into another seat. You should have talked to the FA.

Not sure if it is 1 or 2 inches from my memory. But FA should then give POS a choice to reseat or purchase two tickets.
What's a POS?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by msimone
What's a POS?
POS = Person of Size.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Oh.... I was thinking of a different acronym...
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
POS is person of size.

I've had this happen several times and am weary of it.

From now on unless I am on the last flight of the day, I ring for the FA and demand the situation be sorted out immediately.

However, fair warning, I have never seen them reseat or reticket the POS. I'm always the one having to make a change either to another flight or to another seat on the airplane.

On a flight from DFW to Sea-Tac I was seated in the aisle next to a POS with a lap child. The mother immediately put the lap child on the floor and was prepared to fly that way.

Before I could ring for the FA, the POS offered to buy me free drinks for the entire flight. So for about $24 worth of drinks and snacks, I had 3/4 of a seat and a lap child playing with my hair.

Then they ran out of Baileys.

As flying gets more difficult, these issues should not be allowed to get as far as boarding. The gate agents should not POS and go accordingly.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:30 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by iztok

Yes, this is true. It isn't widely known because of the sensitivity, but technically a heavy person can not intrude upon your space any more than one inch. If this happens, the f/a should inform the agent. The agent is required to either move said heavy person to a seat with nobody in the next seat, have them buy another seat, or book them on a flight where they can actually buy two seats or be on a light flight. I came close once, but luckily we had an empty seat. It is a VERY sensitive situation for ALL.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by flight62
...but technically a heavy person...
That you, flight62, for not using that ridiculous (and technically incorrect) acronym, "POS"!!! ^
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flight62
but technically a heavy person can not intrude upon your space any more than one inch. If this happens, the f/a should inform the agent. The agent is required to either move said heavy person to a seat with nobody in the next seat, have them buy another seat, or book them on a flight where they can actually buy two seats or be on a light flight.
Any chance you could quote the US Airways' manual where this comes from? It would be nice to speak (softly) with authority on this issue and show the F/A the written company policy.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I don't fault the OP for not speaking up prior to takeoff. This is a very delicate matter, and I personally would just have kept my mouth shut and suffered in silence, rather than risk causing any more anguish to the overweight person in the middle seat.

I think that US should be training their FA's (if they are not already doing so) to watch out for these types of situations, and handle them in a manner which is sensitive to the overweight person and the people sitting next to him/her.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I was on an RJ last week with 4 POS. They even had 2 next to each other! After several requests to change seats, they were all accomodated. Then the FA discovered that there were only 3 seat extensions on board.

Finally, one got a seat belt without extension to close around his waist. I cannot imagine a 3 hour flight with a seat belt digging into my gut the whole way, but I'm glad we didn't have to return to the gate.

Should he have asked for compensation?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:37 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by tommyleo
That you, flight62, for not using that ridiculous (and technically incorrect) acronym, "POS"!!! ^
I had plenty of fat moments in my life to know better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.