Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US to discontinue domestic IFE (Now confirmed by the company)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
I was more expecting to see them replace the trivia with home shopping network instead.
I was expecting them to replace the trivia with ads so that they can generate revenues.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I don't understand what US is doing- removing the drop-down video monitors?

So no more safety video, either?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I don't understand what US is doing- removing the drop-down video monitors?

So no more safety video, either?
For the longest time safety announcements were done by the FAs pre-flight - I guess it will go back to that.

Did anyone catch the special the other night "A Week in the Life of American Airlines"? One of the things mentioned (and this was shot when fuel was 80-90 a barrel) was about AA's obsession with reducing weight on planes - looking at lighter weight carts and seats, getting rid of pillows and blankets, carrying only partial tanks of water (or no water and just having wetnaps in the lav), all except transcon planes would lose ovens, barf bags, the magazines they used to carry for pax (remember when you could get Time or Newsweek on a plane?), everything - including having the inflight magazine justify its existence by proving that it made more money than it cost to carry it on the planes. The point being that EVERY airline is trying to cut costs where they can.

US is making some decisions that I don't like - but they aren't alone. In some cases, like IFE, they're coming back to the pack rather than setting a new low. I personally think it's short sighted - they should put in Air Canada style IFE where you pay for some of the content if you choose (like games.) However, except on very long segments and transcons, I won't miss it.

Now if only they'd add Channel 9 to make up for it...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VanTheMan63
Uh....yvsean....

Its as real and accurate as a heart attack....employees will be informed Thursday...rationale is and will be:

-headset revenue - nill
-people use their own headset or watch their own device
-studios charge millions
-maintenance
-and finally fuel for about 600 lbs

As a result: "we can’t afford it anymore."

And as I replied to them...."I can't afford to fly US anymore from a price to value issue any longer."

There you go...put a fork in it, it's done....it will be officially released to the employees on Thursday.....it's not a rumor.
Yes, I've read the same information as you, and I have no doubt it could happen. Fact is, it hasn't been officially announced as of today so it is, by definition, still a rumor.

Debate my semantics as long as you wish - it doesn't change anything.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BostonMark
Did anyone catch the special the other night "A Week in the Life of American Airlines"?

Now if only they'd add Channel 9 to make up for it...
Where was the special? I'd like to see if they're replaying it.

Channel 9 would be ideal, IMO. It seems like a relatively inexpensive way to keep us FTers happy.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: Peasant at large
Originally Posted by Captain Flush
See, I was going to say that the only positive to eliminating IFE would be an end to the daytime-flight PA request that pax in window seats "lower the shades for better viewing." I'm a window-seat person, and I always keep my shade open because when I'm not looking out the window (which is often), I strongly prefer natural light for reading/working. I hate when FAs make that announcement, as it makes me much more self-conscious about looking out the window. Ah well, to each his own, I guess.
I much prefer natural light too but if it means it'll interfere with the comfort of other pax on a long haul, I'll gladly lower the shades. I have the option of using less intrusive lighting for what I'm doing (reading/working) but when the shades are up even the masks provided offer limited cover.

Of course, if it's short-haul (IMHO, transcon is short haul), I really don't think it should matter either way. I've seen pax get into heated arguments over this which I think is both childish and selfish but that's just me.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA - Gold, Delta - Gold, US - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold
I should have signed up for the "free" Premier Executive level on United which expired on June 30th because as a Gold on USAirways if this is taken out, then that just might be the last straw. Enouh is enough just charge us an aircraft use fee like the resort use fees, give us an arm band and bring us back some service levels. I have liked USAirways for the past few years, but I think this might really end my flying on the carrier.

I bet they will start charging for upgrades soon too.

Global Express
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Originally Posted by USPhilly
Where was the special? I'd like to see if they're replaying it.

Channel 9 would be ideal, IMO. It seems like a relatively inexpensive way to keep us FTers happy.
I wish I could tell you - I caught it on TV in a hotel room (one where the hotel's TV directory didn't match the channels... that or it was on the Playboy channel )

Actually, it was on CNBC and it was a really good peak at the complexity of running an airline. Here's a link for it:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/18576787/
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I know this as a rumor soon to be fact.

I usually fly short-haul so all I get is Travel Crap (I mean Quest) and the safety video from 199-something, but I think the flying public that are not frequent flyers have come to expect certain things, such as free non-alcoholic beverages and in-flight entertainment on long-haul flights as options, especially from a legacy carrier like US. Perhaps removing IFE is not that big of a deal for us that travel all the time and are usually prepared with our own gadgets and entertainment.

However, removing IFE is just part of a larger picture, and that is one of pay more, get less: increasing fees, charging for drinks, taking away free pretzels and Biscoffs from coach on short flights, taking away IFE, taking away 500-mile minimums, taking away elite bonuses, etc. It all began a couple of years ago with the aircraft reconfigs, removing Y/B fare PQM bonuses, etc. This is just more evidence of a business model that I no longer subscribe to, and I will try like heck to avoid it.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Vending machines are heavy. The FA has to be there anyway.
I have no idea why, but out of context this statement becomes very funny for me.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
No longer a rumor now confirmed. Only domestic IFE remaining will be Hawaii.

http://washington.bizjournals.com/wa...html?ana=yfcpc
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Article says IFE is discontinued to Mexico and Caribbean.

What about the Latin America destinations? Do they qualify as Caribbean?

I assume that Canada flights will have IFE.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:58 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by warreng24
Article says IFE is discontinued to Mexico and Caribbean.

What about the Latin America destinations? Do they qualify as Caribbean?

I assume that Canada flights will have IFE.

I would not assume that flights to Canada will have IFE. Canadian flights are considered "domestic" operationally.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Vending machines are heavy. The FA has to be there anyway.
Actually, a credit-card based vending system designed to weigh as much or less than the galley could be more profitable than an FA attempting to "sell" products. Vending could include food/drink, entertainment systems, comfort items. The FA's would still need to police the aisles to collect trash and focus on their main safety duties. Do away with the weight in both galley areas and the systems could even be outsourced where airline retains a commission.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This airline and its management are beyond ridiculous - time to ring the Chapter 7 bells before they start charging for oxygen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.