Wiki Posts
Search

PHX heat and pay for water?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
PHX heat and pay for water?

I can't believe that it would not be a safety issue to deprive people of water, especially on planes sitting on the ground in PHX in the summertime.

What happens when the a/c is not working properly on the ground during boarding, or while holding for an ATC issue? Will people be deprived of water to the point of passing out or getting sick?

Summer has just started and I have already seen several instances (in situations like those mentioned above) where pax have asked for a glass of water. I can't imagine being told to fork over $2.00 or pass out! That would have to be a law suit waiting to happen.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
You could always get some of Scottsdale's finest with 10000000% of the daily calcium recommendation
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
I can't believe that it would not be a safety issue to deprive people of water, especially on planes sitting on the ground in PHX in the summertime.

What happens when the a/c is not working properly on the ground during boarding, or while holding for an ATC issue? Will people be deprived of water to the point of passing out or getting sick?

Summer has just started and I have already seen several instances (in situations like those mentioned above) where pax have asked for a glass of water. I can't imagine being told to fork over $2.00 or pass out! That would have to be a law suit waiting to happen.

medical fee for passing out while onboard aircraft = $250

fee for water splashed on your face to revive you = $5 (waived for elites)

Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I'm not sticking up for US's silly new rules at all, but I think any traveller should factor in a possible 2-hour tarmac wait into their plans, as well as anything else that can possibly go wrong. A big bottle of water should be part of your carry-on even if all you take is a purse or laptop. Just like always having at least one change of clothes and your toothbrush in your carry-on, for the trips when you check bags. Because you never know when your luggage is going to get lost. Passengers HAVE to start planning for the worst-case scenario: take a book, fully charged cell, and snack from home, buy a bottle of water in the airport (I tote it to the hotel then just keep filling it up from the hotel gym water cooler), dress comfortably (been stuck on the ground with people in all sorts of crazy outfits) and if you don't end up needing any of the above, more power to you. Yes it is annoying to have to buy water in the airport (one bright note: there's a couple places in PHX that have a one-litre bottle for under $2 which is not bad) but definitely less annoying than not having it when you really need it. After all, people take 20-plus-hour trips on Greyhound in the summer and the bus company isn't giving them water or food or anything.

This is no commentary on their policy, just that a little preparedness would make the difference between an unpleasant situation and a downright miserable one.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 5:50 am

Programs: US, AA
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I'm not sticking up for US's silly new rules at all, but I think any traveller should factor in a possible 2-hour tarmac wait into their plans, as well as anything else that can possibly go wrong. A big bottle of water should be part of your carry-on even if all you take is a purse or laptop. Just like always having at least one change of clothes and your toothbrush in your carry-on, for the trips when you check bags. Because you never know when your luggage is going to get lost. Passengers HAVE to start planning for the worst-case scenario: take a book, fully charged cell, and snack from home, buy a bottle of water in the airport (I tote it to the hotel then just keep filling it up from the hotel gym water cooler), dress comfortably (been stuck on the ground with people in all sorts of crazy outfits) and if you don't end up needing any of the above, more power to you. Yes it is annoying to have to buy water in the airport (one bright note: there's a couple places in PHX that have a one-litre bottle for under $2 which is not bad) but definitely less annoying than not having it when you really need it. After all, people take 20-plus-hour trips on Greyhound in the summer and the bus company isn't giving them water or food or anything.

This is no commentary on their policy, just that a little preparedness would make the difference between an unpleasant situation and a downright miserable one.
The problem is that TSA prohibits bringing liquids from home. So, when airlines are charging for water, you have no choice but to buy water somewhere - either at the airport or in the aircraft. Either way, you're probably getting fleeced. The situation is a bit different with Greyhound.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by jagadheep
The problem is that TSA prohibits bringing liquids from home. So, when airlines are charging for water, you have no choice but to buy water somewhere - either at the airport or in the aircraft. Either way, you're probably getting fleeced. The situation is a bit different with Greyhound.
While true. I don't think that $2 is a hefty price to pay for a big bottle of water at the airport. Certainly not something that one would consider being a "hostage" to the situation.

Be prepared is always a good thing. I try to keep a granola bar or two in my backpack and grab a bottle of water before I board the plane. (esp. if flying coach)
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I'm not sticking up for US's silly new rules at all, but I think any traveller should factor in a possible 2-hour tarmac wait into their plans, as well as anything else that can possibly go wrong. A big bottle of water should be part of your carry-on even if all you take is a purse or laptop.
OK, but you need to change the above to state "every traveler" as opposed to "any traveler". Following that logic though, how many seats are on the average mainline aircraft? 140-150 or so? So that's 150 "big bottles" of water. 12-20 cases of water would now be carried onto planes instead of 12 (if that) big bottles carried by catering - anyone know the cost in fuel alone for a day of flying that much extra weight around X how many planes? What's that old saying? Penny smart, pound foolish? I know that's not it but you get the idea.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
I got sick once while flying due to dehydration. Multiple flights, sitting on tarmacs in the sun, all the predisposing factors. That was when I learned to always take water on the plane with me, even if it means buying overpriced water in the terminals. You need to take care of yourself here, don't count on the airline to look out for you.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Bring an empty bottle and fill it at the water fountain.

Mike
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Beat me to it ... if price of water is a concern, there are always ways around it.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Originally Posted by mikeef
+2 and if you find fountain water too "icky" to touch, you can certainly spare a couple dollars to buy bottled water or another drink, or a water bottle with a filter.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy

Don't get too excited. It's policy to pass out water on ground delays. Water does not have to be cold or iced though--only for hydration purposes.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Not providing water in a situation where one is stuck on the tarmac violates the US Airways Customer Service Plan:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...rviceplan.aspx

The airlines will make every reasonable effort to provide food, water, restroom facilities and access to medical treatment for passengers onboard an aircraft that is on the ground for an extended period of time without access to the terminal, as consistent with passenger and employee safety and security concerns. Each carrier will prepare contingency plans to address such circumstances and will work with other carriers and the airport to share facilities and make gates available in an emergency.

US Airways will make every reasonable effort to provide food, water, restroom facilities and access to medical treatment for customers onboard an aircraft that is on the ground for a extended period of time. Safety and security for the customers and crew members will take precedence over providing any services and/or facilities. US Airways never intends to cause undue stress or harm to our customers. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, there may be times when an aircraft is either unable to take off or may have to wait for a gate to become available. In the event that something like this occurs, US Airways has developed a contingency plan. The plan includes time frames in which services and facilities will be made available during a long on-aircraft delay. A plan has been developed for both arriving and departing aircraft.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:25 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
You can always take an empty bottle and fill it from a water fountain once you clear security.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I just bought a 1-liter bottle of Sparkletts water in the terminal at PHX, was 1.49. Of course I then got to the gate and they started boarding right away. On my plane to ABQ, and the FA is doing drinks as I type. Oh well, I could use the water in ABQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.