Phx-mfr

Old Jun 5, 08, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Angry Phx-mfr

USAir announced in Medford today they are ending service here. They said more cities are on the list. Sad to see them go...only NS to PHX.
Old Jun 5, 08, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by UA1kMFR View Post
USAir announced in Medford today they are ending service here. They said more cities are on the list. Sad to see them go...only NS to PHX.
You're not alone.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24988278/

Small cities should prepare for fewer flights
Fuel prices forcing airlines to opt out of servicing rural communities

Old Jun 5, 08, 7:14 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 50; US Airways Silver Gift; AA Usedtabe; UA Never Was; Delta Never if I can help it
For years the Canadian goverment subsidized several small places to get rail service - sometimes each passenger was subsidized thousands of dollars - then they realized the folly of it.

Unfortunately, small cities will suffer the most - there aren't economies of scale. The really small cities that will never be profitable with high fuel costs will just lose out. Maybe some more marginal cities could retain significant service if the industry changed radically to allow for multiple airlines to share all gate, ramp, counter, ground facilities and personnel to keep their cost per flight down - maybe that would help.
Old Jun 5, 08, 9:25 pm

If it's a Mesa only station...expect to lose 100% service for now.
Old Jun 6, 08, 11:16 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
That explains my useless FF flyer search from PHL-MFR this summer and fall. I refused to use 100K miles to get my grandma and mother in law there in half First, when half the flight is RJ's!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: