The Future of US? Will they be around? (Merged Thread)

Old May 28, 2008, 9:10 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
The Future of US? Will they be around? (Merged Thread)

My best friend is getting married next Spring in Mexico. I decided to empty the last of my US dividend miles (adios US) on tickets for my partner and I to attend.

As I look up my flights for next March/April - a sinking feeling returned that I hadn't had since late 2004 ... Will US even be around to take me on these flights?

With a ~$4 stock price and $130 oil and now word that the UA merger has been halted ...
Old May 28, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Your other option is to use miles for *A award with another airline. Looking so much forward a lot can happen for any carrier.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:03 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
I know many would like to jump at the chance to celebrate the demise of US Airways and the press would have you believe we are back on death's bed, however, that simply is not true. All airlines..except SWA...are hurting. I think your chances of everyone's supposed beloved and savior UAUA going out of business is far more likely. And if any of you think the DAL-NWA merger is going to stop THAT bleeding with no plans to cut capacity (if you are actually dumb enough to believe it in the first place), think again.

Not to sound bitter, but something has to give. Someone somewhere with much more power than me needs to intervene with regards to pricing. US has gone the ma/pa route and is in the red. UAUA has gone the route of marketing the biz traveler. They are in the red. CAL caters to everyone. They are in the red. Delta LOVES to waste money and it shows...THEY are in the red.

The airlines all need to understand that we are a global and national people. NOBODY for the most part will take or tolerate a 4 day train or bus ride between NY and LA, mustless a car ride, so start charging more and stop penny, nickel, and diming everyone. I sincerely believe the flying public understands that the price of the tickets will and SHOULD go up. And if they need to go somewhere, they will pay whatever price.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
However, my definition of "over capacity" in the airline biz is not that there are too many airlines offering competing and overlapping routes, but simply there are too many airlines in the USA.

Three or four healthy ones could probably pass through fuel surcharges and deal with economic downturns alot better than the seven majors we have now.

I suppose its a bit akin to the overnight-air package delivery business, which is about as cut-throat as the air passenger business, where basically three or four large companies dominate the market and are able to rapidly pass on fuel surcharges to their customers.

If seven airlines where paired down to say, three by market forces, it's unlikely that US would survive in its current form.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flight62
And if they need to go somewhere, they will pay whatever price.
That's the problem though. The current capacity levels in the business are NOT based on people who NEED to go somewhere, they are based largely on people who WANT to go somewhere. Big difference. If prices go up they no longer want to go. That is the crux of the dilemma.

I know DP is not popular around here but he was 100% right on the DL merger attempt. DL's rebuke of US is haunting the entire industry. There is too much capacity and that merger would've removed a ton of capacity from the system, bringing it to sensible levels. The Govt. also hurt the industry back in 2001 when it didnt' let US and UA merge. The DL NW merger just doesn't make a ton of sense in terms of removing capacity and won't do a whole lot to help the broader industry.

Sean
Old May 28, 2008, 10:53 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Sean,
I couldn't have said it better!! I just hope my company is one that can whether the storm...in this case, tsunami!

Originally Posted by stiphy
That's the problem though. The current capacity levels in the business are NOT based on people who NEED to go somewhere, they are based largely on people who WANT to go somewhere. Big difference. If prices go up they no longer want to go. That is the crux of the dilemma.

I know DP is not popular around here but he was 100% right on the DL merger attempt. DL's rebuke of US is haunting the entire industry. There is too much capacity and that merger would've removed a ton of capacity from the system, bringing it to sensible levels. The Govt. also hurt the industry back in 2001 when it didnt' let US and UA merge. The DL NW merger just doesn't make a ton of sense in terms of removing capacity and won't do a whole lot to help the broader industry.

Sean
Old May 28, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Sean,
I couldn't have said it better!! I just hope my company is one that can whether the storm...in this case, tsunami!
Living in CLT I feel the same. I kind of like US

BTW: flight62 I have A&B filled in but didn't manage to get the envelope and post stamp at the post office yet, sorry
Old May 28, 2008, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by iztok
Living in CLT I feel the same. I kind of like US

BTW: flight62 I have A&B filled in but didn't manage to get the envelope and post stamp at the post office yet, sorry
Thanks...I appreciate it!
Old May 28, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Thanks...I appreciate it!
And I found my A&Bs and I need you to email me or PM me your number again as I misplaced it from earlier! I have your name on it, just need the number!
Old May 28, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Originally Posted by iztok
Your other option is to use miles for *A award with another airline. Looking so much forward a lot can happen for any carrier.
I think this is the best strategy. If you burn DM miles on UA metal, you should be fine as long as either US or UA is still around then.
Old May 28, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by jimmychang
I think this is the best strategy. If you burn DM miles on UA metal, you should be fine as long as either US or UA is still around then.
I was just about to suggest using foreign carrier metal since it's unlikely a state sponsored airline would disappear overnight. But then I recalled what happened to the former SwissAir.
Old May 28, 2008, 6:42 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I was just about to suggest using foreign carrier metal since it's unlikely a state sponsored airline would disappear overnight. But then I recalled what happened to the former SwissAir.
I'm taking your advice and booking on AC (EWR-YYZ-CUN).

Neither US or UA inspire much confidence right now.
Old May 28, 2008, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; US 50K
The Future of US?

I'm a VFF that left US a while ago, but occasionally check back. I'm surprised at the level of animosity towards US management. It seems that US management is literally at WAR with both its employees and customers.

It seems to me that Dougie did the US merger, then tried Delta, then UA - with the goal of keeping the train moving (a la Enron), all the while acting like "Chainsaw" Al Dunlap (who cut costs ruthlessly at Scott Paper and Sunbeam with short term gain, but eventually destroying the companies).

My 2 cents: If he can keep the merger train going, he's OK, if it stops - he (and US Scare) is toast... Riding on this razor edge is enough to drive a man to drink... (or was that in poor taste?)

Any thoughts?
Old May 28, 2008, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
(and US Scare) is toast... (or was that in poor taste?)

Any thoughts?
Yes!! In fact, it was not only in poor taste, but offensive...but I'm sure you knew that going into it.
Old May 28, 2008, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
I'm a VFF that left US a while ago, but occasionally check back. I'm surprised at the level of animosity towards US management. It seems that US management is literally at WAR with both its employees and customers.

It seems to me that Dougie did the US merger, then tried Delta, then UA - with the goal of keeping the train moving (a la Enron), all the while acting like "Chainsaw" Al Dunlap (who cut costs ruthlessly at Scott Paper and Sunbeam with short term gain, but eventually destroying the companies).

My 2 cents: If he can keep the merger train going, he's OK, if it stops - he (and US Scare) is toast... Riding on this razor edge is enough to drive a man to drink... (or was that in poor taste?)

Any thoughts?
Yes!! In fact, it was not only in poor taste, but offensive...but I'm sure you knew that going into it.

Its possible to be offensive and true. Not that I thought it was the former.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.