Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I bother? USAirways error

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2008, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Should I bother? USAirways error

When I recently made an online reservation with US Airways there was a discrepancy between the amount that was first indicated as the fare and the fare included in the confirmation e-mail. Naturally, I expected the lower fare to prevail, i.e. the one in the e-mai. Wrong! They charged me the higher fare. After many telephone calls and several e-mails, a rep finally said that this is a recognized error, i.e. that sometimes online reservations made from abroad (as is my case) give incorrect fares. The person apologized but said that the higher fare would prevail. My question: Should I pursue this issue or just forget it and in the future resume not flying US Airways, as has been the case for me in the last couple of years. Too many hassles, too little comfort and attention.
Old May 22, 2008, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Unless it's a significant amount of money, I wouldn't bother. Maybe just write one more letter, and copy the DOT so it gets recorded in their statistics, but they are so customer unfriendly that I'm sure they will just try to wait you out.
Old May 22, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
I would assume that whatever appeared on the screen when you clicked "PURCHASE" would be the prevailing price. If that's the higher price, then that's what you agreed to pay. Probably their email system calculates forex at a different time or using a flat rate? That's not the best way to do it, but I'm sure that happens all the time with foreign exchange.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I wouldn't put up with that. It's their responsibility to fix their site and apparently they will only respond to monetary pressures when prioritizing repairs.

Assuming you still have proof that you booked at a certain price, dispute the charge on your credit card -- if you have that option.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by BostonMark
I would assume that whatever appeared on the screen when you clicked "PURCHASE" would be the prevailing price.
I agree with this comment. The buyer agreed to purchase at the price quoted when s/he clicked purchase. If the emailed receipt was incorrect, I would characterize that as a clerical error. Unacceptable? Sure. But a clerical error doesn't change the fact that the buyer agreed to the purchase price quoted. I don't think you're entitled to the difference--unless the original quote was incorrect. US claims that it wasn't, and assuming that's true, the most I would think you are entitled to receive is a corrected receipt.
Old May 23, 2008, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Decision

Thanks, everyone, for your useful responses. More than anything, I'm annoyed at US, first for giving me the run around and then for owning up to a type of error they apparently have no interest in correcting. Even though the outcome won't change, I will write to the FAA with a copy for US Airways.

By the way, this was not only a question of foreign exchange rates since the price difference was much larger than could have been expected for that reason. And, believe me, I know. With the current unfavorable rate for people with dollars, every tiny fluctuation matters.
Old May 23, 2008, 4:47 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
So you are raising a stink to FAA because you were issued wrong receipt????

Is US not willing to issue you new (correct) receipt?

Obviously you are entitled to it but I don't see any other issues there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.