Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by Phoenixian
The order of service is where I find great inconsistency, particularly on long haul (3+ hour) flights involving a meal service.

Is the order of service published in the flight attendant manual (based on scheduled flight time)?

As an example, given a 3+ hour flight , the First Class service flow would be:

Beverage service with snack basket (serving one row at a time) followed by the meal service. Second beverages would then be offered immediately after the last First Class passenger is served their meal. Meal tray would then be removed followed by coffee/dessert service.

In reality (a recent CLT-PHX flight) I frequently see the beverage served with the meal as the first step. Then the flight attendant completes the service and sits in the main cabin door's jumpseat reading (not their F/A manual).

What exactly does the company expect from their F/A's?
Actually, I would almost swear you were from inflight. The service is as you stated. Unfortunately, there are those that are lazy. We have flow charts that point it all out and the service flow is now on the manifest.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by flight62
Actually, I would almost swear you were from inflight. The service is as you stated. Unfortunately, there are those that are lazy. We have flow charts that point it all out and the service flow is now on the manifest.
What would be a service flow on 2 hr flight? CLT-MIA?
Old May 29, 2008, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by iztok
What would be a service flow on 2 hr flight? CLT-MIA?
F/C
Bev/Snack basket...repeat.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Did You Know?

Hot towels are back on all meal serving transcon flights. If you don't get one, ask why. Hot towels are given before the first beverage service.

Last edited by flight62; May 29, 2008 at 3:36 pm Reason: My bad!!
Old May 29, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Thanks! This was my next question (hot towels). Seems only on flights with food.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
Can you actually evacuate mainline plane (i.e. Airbus, B757 etc...) in 90 seconds?

Do you guys practice it in CLT? If so, do you ever invite other people to participate? I mean is there a list one could sign up to experience this?
LH did the proving runs for the A380 and evac in less than 90 seconds. You can find it on Youtube. My practice in IND was 36 seconds using only one slide and with 76 trainees and staff. At Express we had to do ours in less than 45 seconds to pass.
Old May 29, 2008, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by cwe84
LH did the proving runs for the A380 and evac in less than 90 seconds. You can find it on Youtube. My practice in IND was 36 seconds using only one slide and with 76 trainees and staff. At Express we had to do ours in less than 45 seconds to pass.
Can't you just hop off an Express; I mean, how far off the ground are you?
Old May 29, 2008, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by *Propofol*
Can't you just hop off an Express; I mean, how far off the ground are you?
Its 9' from the bottom of the door to the ground. Not all of "Express" is small...
Old May 29, 2008, 2:50 pm

I was kidding. Not all of mainline is BIG.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Busted

Originally Posted by flight62
I know a bit about these things having spent many years (a long time ago) working inflight as a flight attendant and supervisor. I ended up writing the service flows for the flight attendant manual.

Next question, are check rides performed and is there a ghost rider program at US? When I see irregularities, I fire off an email. Are they reviewed with cabin attendants?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:01 am

We have check rides done by supervisors which are announced and reviewed with F/As. We also have observation rides done by trained F/As which are not announced and non-punitive. I did observation rides for four years. They serve to collect data and improve inflight procedures.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:15 pm

I have always wondered why do we have to have our seatbelts on BEFORE pushback when you dont explain how to fasten it until later during the safety briefing????

CPtango
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cptango
I have always wondered why do we have to have our seatbelts on BEFORE pushback when you dont explain how to fasten it until later during the safety briefing????

CPtango
Technically, Federal Air Regulations reguire compliance of all lighted signs and posted placards. The safety briefing is for the purpose of making sure one knows how to fasten the seatbelt , however I myself have never made a passenger put on their belts until after the safey demo just for the reason you stated.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Safety Announcement

Hr. 62,

Are they ever going produce an new Safety announcement. I know with more and more IFE being inop, you all are doing they 'manual' version alot. I have seen at least three iterations of splicing the 'best of US Airways' safety videos, all still having everyone wearing 'US AIR' wings (pre '97). There was an article about an all expense paid trip (if you worked it) to PHX for filming a new safety video last spring. Any word on if/when they are going to release it, you know to take they thrill away of putting on the DEMO ONLY life vest?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by *Propofol*
We have check rides done by supervisors which are announced and reviewed with F/As. We also have observation rides done by trained F/As which are not announced and non-punitive. I did observation rides for four years. They serve to collect data and improve inflight procedures.
I have done this at Mesa, although compliance was never done by management we have some overzealous line check FAs who pretty much are Nazis...I could have sworn they came over from AA but thats another thread for another time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.