Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 12:48 pm

It's doubtful that any airline will allow passengers to participate in F/A training due to costs and liability. The training facility is also in a secured area. There are fearful flyer classes that might consider incorporating evacuation drills. The most important thing that a passenger can do to prepare is to note the location of the nearest exit, alternative exit and how to operate the handle(s).
Old May 21, 2008, 3:53 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by *Propofol*
CPR is also a bit lax IMO. I believe that F/As are first responders in medical emergencies onboard and should be completely proficient with CPR and the use of the AED. We always page for help but it would be a good idea if all F/As were actually certified. Medical emergencies are much more likely than evacuations and properly trained F/As will make a difference. This will also enhance our profession as true safety professionals.
So, if there are no MDs on board, would it be helpful or not for EFR-qualified pax to make themselves known? Or can we assume that the FA's are all EFR current and don't need us?
Old May 21, 2008, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
So, if there are no MDs on board, would it be helpful or not for EFR-qualified pax to make themselves known? Or can we assume that the FA's are all EFR current and don't need us?
We page for any passenger with medical expertise, not just MDs. We also contact MedLink on the ground for guidance.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Just wondering what the FAs think about Y pax using the F lav. I know the announcement is always made to use the lav in your cabin but inevitably someone from Y will go up and use the F lav. I don't know why but it bothers me so I was curious if it had the same effect on you. It's not an "elite" thing since, only being GP, I spend most of my time in Y.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by USPhilly
Just wondering what the FAs think about Y pax using the F lav. I know the announcement is always made to use the lav in your cabin but inevitably someone from Y will go up and use the F lav. I don't know why but it bothers me so I was curious if it had the same effect on you. It's not an "elite" thing since, only being GP, I spend most of my time in Y.
I don't mind the elderly or small children. The problem is when it becomes a monkey see, monkey do. The only time I get really strict is when we are full. That is when I will pull the security thing as I do not feel say with any congregating in the front of the plane.
Old May 22, 2008, 5:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by flight62
I don't mind the elderly or small children. The problem is when it becomes a monkey see, monkey do. The only time I get really strict is when we are full. That is when I will pull the security thing as I do not feel say with any congregating in the front of the plane.
What it gets on my nerves is when people don't listen or don't want to listen. Obviously as pax it is not my thing to say that to another pax. My reaction in my head is: "Are you kidding me? You look old enough to actually understand what f/a was saying." I swear one of these days I'll say to someone: "What are you? Stupid?"

Yeah I know it will get me in trouble hence I am biting my tongue.
Old May 22, 2008, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by iztok
What it gets on my nerves is when people don't listen or don't want to listen. Obviously as pax it is not my thing to say that to another pax. My reaction in my head is: "Are you kidding me? You look old enough to actually understand what f/a was saying." I swear one of these days I'll say to someone: "What are you? Stupid?"

People not listening has got to be one of the most frustrating parts of this job.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
People not listening has got to be one of the most frustrating parts of this job.
I think it's the most frustrating part of any job.
Old May 22, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
If so, you do not want to teach like I do! I hear ya, it is VERY frustrating!
Old May 22, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: US GP CO PP Hilton D MarriottG
Originally Posted by iztok

When there is 1 for 12 and 2 for 100 plus lets be real---I really don't mind that one at a time they use 1st lav, as long as they wait at the coach bulkhead and not too many are there. What is the difference if no one is in first lav, I have to say 99 percent of time I get a bump to first and when I am in the back I like first row of coach and a lot easier than waiting for the back.

Plus as far as I know and I may be incorrect this was removed as a policy a long time ago--just staying in place for some reason by certain airlines.
Old May 24, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
F/C Meals and E190/193 Question

1. I am Elite on DL and UA also. On trancon flights, or those with meal service in F/C, they change the order of asking for choices based on east or west bound. On west bound flight (DL uses odd/ even number flights) row 1 is asked first for their choice and the last row is asked first on east bound. Makes things very fair since there never are enough choices to get everyone what then want. Why does't US do this?

2. I recently flew on a E190 and E195.. Row 3 was terrible.. had NO room at all between row 2 and 3. (row 2 is emerg row Is this true on all E190/195's? Glad I do not BUY these elite seats!

thanks

Last edited by PHLFlyerDL; May 24, 2008 at 7:43 pm
Old May 24, 2008, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLFlyerDL
1. I am Elite on DL and UA also. On trancon flights, or those with meal service in F/C, they change the order of asking for choices based on east or west bound. On west bound flight (DL uses odd/ even number flights) row 1 is asked first for their choice and the last row is asked first on east bound. Makes things very fair since there never are enough choices to get everyone what then want. Why does't US do this?

2. I recently flew on a E190 and E195.. Row 3 was terrible.. had NO room at all between row 2 and 3. (row 2 is emerg row Is this true on all E190/195's? Glad I do not BUY these elite seats!

thanks
We have tried this before and believe it or not people complained when we did it that way as well. For those that swear by a certain seat, they are effected. Most really don't care. You may see some former AWA f/a's do it the Delta way as they use to do it that way. I personally like the system Delta uses. but it definitely isn't fool proof. But I also like offering meal choices according to status as well and have done that before.

As far as FC on the E190. CLT base gets that plane in July. I am blocked on it and will comment after flying it. I sincerely believe that ac at 11/88 seats should have 3 f/a's or take off FC and spread the seats out to make it 100 people.
Old May 25, 2008, 12:00 pm

Holy cow! How did I miss seeing this thread before now?
Great idea flight62, thanks for starting it! ^
Old May 25, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Chairman Preferred
We have tried this before and believe it or not people complained when we did it that way as well. For those that swear by a certain seat, they are effected. Most really don't care. You may see some former AWA f/a's do it the Delta way as they use to do it that way. I personally like the system Delta uses. but it definitely isn't fool proof. But I also like offering meal choices according to status as well and have done that before.

As far as FC on the E190. CLT base gets that plane in July. I am blocked on it and will comment after flying it. I sincerely believe that ac at 11/88 seats should have 3 f/a's or take off FC and spread the seats out to make it 100 people.
It's good to see other airlines have better ways of doing food service in f/c. With severe food allergies - have to say it is a pain for how they do food choices. Half the time even if I let a f/a know up front they tell me I'll have to wait and see what's available when they get to me.
Old May 25, 2008, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hltb214
With severe food allergies - have to say it is a pain for how they do food choices. Half the time even if I let a f/a know up front they tell me I'll have to wait and see what's available when they get to me.
That burns my butt!! There is no excuse to not honor your choice when you were kind enough to let the f/a know you have allergies. I encourage customers to let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.