Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Old May 20, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Can you actually evacuate mainline plane (i.e. Airbus, B757 etc...) in 90 seconds?

Do you guys practice it in CLT? If so, do you ever invite other people to participate? I mean is there a list one could sign up to experience this?
Old May 20, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: WN, HP, CO, UA
Originally Posted by *Propofol*
The wheelchair is provided....and that is all. I have never seen an F/A actually assist in the tranferrence to chair or lav as it is not a part of the duties (I don't think, but I'm confused by the new transfer board)
Hi there! I have to tell you all that I love, love love this thread! Thank you for your time and effort in assisting our passengers even off duty:-: :-: I read FT on a daily basis, I want to know what our passengers are talking about and the concerns they have.

Part of our training, (I'm definitely a newbie) was to learn and use the transfer board on the 737 mock up. We can assist the passenger, once inflight, from their seat to the lav and from the lav to their seat, however, once the passenger is in the lav, we cannot assist with any "lav duties."
Old May 20, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG Plat, BA Gold
Thank you for doing this Flight62! Muchly appreciated!

I have a similar question, do F/A have to go through a refresher of their safety training? I mean getting people of a plane in 90 seconds is something that needs to be practiced right?

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
For gripping human interest, here's a video of an Airbus A380 being evacuated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weOcrP7u7Y8

Expand the info on the right for some interesting details.
Old May 20, 2008, 3:47 pm

Thanks for the link! Looks good.

I would still like to see if CLT has a place where one can sign-up for such a drill.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:43 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by valuesrok
Hi there! I have to tell you all that I love, love love this thread! Thank you for your time and effort in assisting our passengers even off duty:-: :-: I read FT on a daily basis, I want to know what our passengers are talking about and the concerns they have.

Part of our training, (I'm definitely a newbie) was to learn and use the transfer board on the 737 mock up. We can assist the passenger, once inflight, from their seat to the lav and from the lav to their seat, however, once the passenger is in the lav, we cannot assist with any "lav duties."
Welcome to FT! Glad you've decided to post and hope to hear more from you!
Old May 20, 2008, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Good Morning Pam Ann,

I will only assist as needed, my Queen

A million apologies for hijacking your thread. I keed.

Actually, it's rare for me to have any time to blog at all. I work full-time at the hospital and only fly 40.
You know I'm teasing you.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Flemish

I have a similar question, do F/A have to go through a refresher of their safety training? I mean getting people of a plane in 90 seconds is something that needs to be practiced right?

Thanks!
FAs have recurrent training yearly as mandated by the FAA. We get requalified on the operation of all doors, windows and evacuations specific to aircraft. We also review first aid, CPR, fire, bomb and hijack threats. My initial training included land evacuation of an aircraft blind-folded, water evacuation by raft in a pool, and a hotel evacuation. We were timed. Recurrent is much less intense and no one times you for anything. CPR is also a bit lax IMO. I believe that F/As are first responders in medical emergencies onboard and should be completely proficient with CPR and the use of the AED. We always page for help but it would be a good idea if all F/As were actually certified. Medical emergencies are much more likely than evacuations and properly trained F/As will make a difference. This will also enhance our profession as true safety professionals.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
FAs have recurrent training yearly as mandated by the FAA. We get requalified on the operation of all doors, windows and evacuations specific to aircraft. We also review first aid, CPR, fire, bomb and hijack threats. My initial training included land evacuation of an aircraft blind-folded, water evacuation by raft in a pool, and a hotel evacuation. We were timed. Recurrent is much less intense and no one times you for anything. CPR is also a bit lax IMO. I believe that F/As are first responders in medical emergencies onboard and should be completely proficient with CPR and the use of the AED. We always page for help but it would be a good idea if all F/As were actually certified. Medical emergencies are much more likely than evacuations and properly trained F/As will make a difference. This will also enhance our profession as true safety professionals.
Just to add, this years recurrent training is tightening up on our f/a's and their proficiency drills. For those of you not knowing, we have specific procedures and commands shouted to get you off the airplane in the event of an emergency evacuation. In their excitement, many times f/a's flub up the drill. The FAA is not allowing ANY mistakes whereas in the past you could miss a word. All these emergency evacuation preps allow us to ready you the passenger to get off the airplane asap. The 90 secs you read about is the amt of time the FAA requires to certify an aircraft type to fly with a particular and of course is the parameters for which f/a's should definitely strive for.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flemish

Thanks!
It would be nice to practice a full evac every year. I'm afraid it would be cost prohibitive as US Airways alone has over 7000 f/a's and the company would have to pay 120-293 people money each time at least 2-3 times a day year round. I think also because each accident/incident could vary from slight to catastophic, the most important things are the commands and preperations time permitting.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iztok
Can you actually evacuate mainline plane (i.e. Airbus, B757 etc...) in 90 seconds?

Do you guys practice it in CLT? If so, do you ever invite other people to participate? I mean is there a list one could sign up to experience this?
That would be a good idea. God knows if DP hears free, he might take you up on it. A lot has been made of the 90 seconds. Any time a plane is either added to an airline or to the industry, it must be certified. Part of that certification is the ability to evacuate the aircraft in 90 seconds. The FAA states 90 seconds as the standard time to get all passengers off the a/c with minimum amount of f/a's. When we purchased the A330, we had a group of our f/a's required to evacuate the amount of passengers of the A330 in a mock up. In this situation, certain doors are blocked...sometime half...and the f/a's must get all passengers off within 90 seconds. That group gets 3 chances to meet the standard. After that, if they fail, a new group tries. Usually everyone passes. I know US always has.

I am sure if the FAA felt it was beneficial, they would require it. I'm not sure about liability, insurance, etc that would be involved or if that even plays into it.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by flight62
It would be nice to practice a full evac every year. I'm afraid it would be cost prohibitive as US Airways alone has over 7000 f/a's and the company would have to pay 120-293 people money each time at least 2-3 times a day year round. I think also because each accident/incident could vary from slight to catastophic, the most important things are the commands and preperations time permitting.
I would be a willing participant for a day of such drills for free
Old May 21, 2008, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the link! Looks good.

I would still like to see if CLT has a place where one can sign-up for such a drill.
You may want to somehow contact the FAA. Maybe another f/a knows, but there is one location where these evacs take place. Omaha??
Old May 21, 2008, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Good Morning Pam Ann,
Pam would say 'Come this way. Follow me" , along with F/A Lilly and her gucchi boots! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8AFpso1X3M
Old May 21, 2008, 10:47 am
Original Poster

I would be a willing participant for a day of such drills for free
Two links of interest.

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...ontentKey=4008

http://faa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faa....i=&p_topview=1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.