Upgrading military personnel by F/A's

Old May 9, 08, 5:15 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by DukeBBFan View Post
I can just about guarantee that if you see a Marine traveling, regardless of uniform, he is either traveling to or coming home from a combat zone or has recently been in or will shortly be in a combat zone.
Really?

I have two cousins who both recently came off active duty. One was on his third tour in the sandbox. The other spent his entire time post-boot and MOS school at MPRC in STL, maybe flying to DCA for work at Quantico. The former was E-3 at discharge, the latter E-4.

So I'd tend to disagree with your assessment. I'm also thinking that there are a couple of thousand marines at Embassies, the FAST platoons that are not in the Gulf, guys embarked on whichever ESGs are not in the gulf (although these guys could be in a combat zone in very short order), a few thousand guys in Okinawa, the guys standing post around "special weapons" at any NAS worldwide, and such.

Now, I upgrade them all when I can. But without speaking with them, it's impossible to know their final destination.

As an aside, my preference to upgrade mostly enlisted personnel, with an exception for maybe O-3 and below.

As another aside, I was speaking with the aforementioned cousin (with three tours) about CRAF flights. According to him, when he went over on a CRAF flight (whose metal I don't know), nobody higher than E-4 sat in front or in business, except for an E-5 in every cabin to keep an eye on things. All the officers sat in the back. That, my friends, is leadership.
Old May 9, 08, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
I too am shocked to see the (almost universal) positiv tone in this thread. In my FT experience to date I have run across for more Berkley types than I have ardent military supporters...but then I stopped hanging out in OMNI and TS/S.
Old May 9, 08, 7:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike View Post
In my FT experience to date I have run across for more Berkley types than I have ardent military supporters...
I'm definitely in the second camp. For the post that asked, "why upgrade military people, not others who help humanity", I've worked in human rights organizations (anti-land mines work) and have done construction trips to the Third World, yet the risks that my co-workers and especially I ran up against weren't anything like being on the streets of Baghdad, I'd assume. So any military member is welcome to have my FC seat anytime!
Old May 9, 08, 11:26 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
I'm definitely in the second camp. For the post that asked, "why upgrade military people, not others who help humanity", I've worked in human rights organizations (anti-land mines work) and have done construction trips to the Third World, yet the risks that my co-workers and especially I ran up against weren't anything like being on the streets of Baghdad, I'd assume. So any military member is welcome to have my FC seat anytime!
Good on you! I love your post. Here's the other side of the issue, it's harder than heck to ID people working for NGOs, it's a lot easier to ID military.

In my many millions of miles of flying, I've never seen an officer UG over an enlisted or Non-com. Has it happened? Must have. But how many other "he shoulda got the UG" happened every day?

This is peanuts in the whole scheme of things.

I was once on an AWA flight where all UG were out, but the checked-in F customer didn't make the flight (who knows why?) An FA tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I would be OK with allowing a Spec 4 in camo to take the seat since I was a Plat member and it apparently was my UG. I said "sure, let him have it!" She gave me free drinks from DFW to PHX, the soldier gave me thanks and we met up in PHX at the gate and I bought him a beer while his GF came in from Chandler. Turns out he was off a tour in Afghanistan and was doing a month long turnaround. Nice guy and even better to hear his story.

More power to anyone doing UG in this manner. Two very happy customers. Free drinks for me, aisle seat and yep - I did feel a little better for a night or two giving a verbal to allow my seat to go to a deserving American.
Old May 9, 08, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Now a question for you who would give up your FC seat for uniformed soldier. Would you do the same (give up your seat) if:

1. You fly domestic and uniformed soldier has other country uniform?

2. You fly intra-europe and uniformed soldier wears US uniform?

3. You fly intra-europe and uniformed soldier is in EU uniform?
Old May 10, 08, 12:54 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hi All - This has certainly turned out to be an interesting and lively discussion!

Just a friendly reminder that the thread is about a rumor of F/A discipline for upgrading military members to First class on US Airways. If no one has any specific information about that incident, any further discussion is probably more appropriate for Omni.

As such, let's try to keep this on-topic. You are welcome to start a thread in Omni to discuss your views on upgrading service members as a courtesy, and you are welcome to open a thread here in the US Airways forum if you wish to discuss specific elements of US Airways' upgrade policy.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact any of the US Airways moderators (safetymom, AZ Travels the World, or myself) or utilize the Report Bad Post feature.
Old May 10, 08, 5:24 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Especially if they look about 10.
Old May 10, 08, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by vysean View Post
You are welcome to start a thread in Omni to discuss your views on upgrading service members as a courtesy...
Watch this happen and have the sentiment from here immediately get reversed.
Old May 10, 08, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iztok View Post
Now a question for you who would give up your FC seat for uniformed soldier. Would you do the same (give up your seat) if:
Nope. No disrespect to the worldly community of FT, but nothing stirs the pride in me as an American like the USA's uniform. I'm fairly sure residents of <insert country here> would agree re: their own militaries.

Indeed. I give up the seat, and in the process of the transaction, I would, assuming safety of both parties is not an issue, flash my US passport cover, just to let the soldier know that a countryman is looking out for them.

See #1. Overriding point is that you take care of your own, especially those who fight for you. Having said that, if this US thing turns out to be true, we will soon see if US can sink any lower in the public's perception.
Old May 10, 08, 9:07 am

Nope. No disrespect to the worldly community of FT, but nothing stirs the pride in me as an American like the USA's uniform. I'm fairly sure residents of <insert country here> would agree re: their own militaries.

Indeed. I give up the seat, and in the process of the transaction, I would, assuming safety of both parties is not an issue, flash my US passport cover, just to let the soldier know that a countryman is looking out for them.

See #1. Overriding point is that you take care of your own, especially those who fight for you. Having said that, if this US thing turns out to be true, we will soon see if US can sink any lower in the public's perception.
Thanks! Makes my decision much easier. Since I am not American but flying mostly in US. So I hope no one will give me thumbs down when I don't give up my seat to US armed forces member.
Old May 10, 08, 9:20 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. Does traveling in uniform automatically mean the person is en route to or from a combat zone? How does one know that it's not simply service man or woman traveling on official business? Say from DC to San Diego? Seattle to Los Angeles? Honolulu to the mainland? Okinawa to the US?
And so I'll probably get flamed for this.. I'll survive.
Time alters many practices....

There used to be a fare class, "Military Standby", about 1/2 the cheapest available economy, much used by active duty travelers on leave and reservists, usually officers traveling to and from training duty, on a reimbursement basis (X cents per mile) rather than government purchased tickets.

The secret to success was to travel in "Service Dress" uniform, nattily turned out in full fig rig with ribbons, etc. (Back then, few boasted of more than a row of decorations, with Vietnam and the decades since introducing previously unheard of awards and citations).

Routinely, the "Stewardesses" and GAs of that long forgotten era would fill seats at the front of the bus with those who at least appeared to exhibit First Class qualities, although then as now, sharp uniforms could conceal all sorts of blunt, dumb objects.
Old May 10, 08, 10:06 am

Programs: AA LT. GLD, DL, US
Originally Posted by TMOliver View Post
Time alters many practices....

There used to be a fare class, "Military Standby", about 1/2 the cheapest available economy, much used by active duty travelers on leave and reservists, usually officers traveling to and from training duty, on a reimbursement basis (X cents per mile) rather than government purchased tickets.

The secret to success was to travel in "Service Dress" uniform, nattily turned out in full fig rig with ribbons, etc. (Back then, few boasted of more than a row of decorations, with Vietnam and the decades since introducing previously unheard of awards and citations).

Routinely, the "Stewardesses" and GAs of that long forgotten era would fill seats at the front of the bus with those who at least appeared to exhibit First Class qualities, although then as now, sharp uniforms could conceal all sorts of blunt, dumb objects.
I used to use this fare on the Eastern Shuttle from DC to Newark. The fare was $9 each way. The times they have changed.
Old May 10, 08, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Makes my decision much easier. Since I am not American but flying mostly in US. So I hope no one will give me thumbs down when I don't give up my seat to US armed forces member.
At first I was angry that I didn't see this line of thought coming back at me, but then again, it's totally acceptable. I also thought at first that there was snark to be had in the response, but upon rereading I see that isn't the case. Foreign nationals traveling in the US should have no expectations regarding courtesy towards military members.
Old May 10, 08, 6:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

1- depends on the country; if it's a longstanding friendly country, yes.
2- absolutely yes.
3- depends on the country - same as 1.
Old May 11, 08, 9:10 am

At first I was angry that I didn't see this line of thought coming back at me, but then again, it's totally acceptable. I also thought at first that there was snark to be had in the response, but upon rereading I see that isn't the case. Foreign nationals traveling in the US should have no expectations regarding courtesy towards military members.
Mike,

honestly, no snark intended at all.

Honestly #2 if I would see an enlisted member of the armed forces and there was FC seat available to add him/her to my upgrade I would do it regardless. I figured out that if they fly in uniform here in US they must be of some sort friendly business on domestic aircraft. On a short (less then 3 hr flight) I would even consider switching seats. On a long haul probably not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: