Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways ranks first in on-time performance

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
US Airways ranks first in on-time performance

TEMPE, Ariz.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 7, 2008--For the third time in four months US Airways' (NYSE:LCC) on-time performance ranked first among the 10 largest U.S. carriers according to results released today by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

US Airways' on-time arrival rate of 79.1 percent for March also propelled the airline to the number one spot for the first quarter among the 10 largest U.S. carriers, with an on-time arrival rate of 78.3 percent for the first three months of this year. US Airways has ranked among the top three in on-time performance among the 10 largest U.S. carriers for the past four months. In March 2007, US Airways ranked last among the 10 largest U.S. airlines with an on-time performance rate of 55.5 percent.

"Today's top on-time performance results validate the substantial operational turnaround our airline is executing," said Scott Kirby, US Airways' President. "Our 36,000 employees are working together as one airline to deliver best-in-class reliability for our customers. We look forward to the challenge of continuing to lead the industry in on-time performance and to also deliver better performance in the other areas that our customers value."

US Airways pays $50 to employees in months when its on-time performance is in the top three of the ten largest U.S. airlines. The airline has paid out $50 to each employee for four consecutive months, for a total of $7.2 million.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: US-P,MR-Plat,HH-G,HY-G,National-EE,CO-G
Doesn't surprise me much, I've noticied that many of my flights are arriving "early" over the last couple months. Not sure if that is just better performance, added time on the flights, or a combination of the two.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
The flights I have taken in the past month often push back early and are very padded with extra time to compensate for ATC/operational delays.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:15 pm

Had a great flight from PHL - MUC.
We pushed back early, and arrived in Munchen early.
Two rounds of drinks in Envory before we left the gate.

Excellent service. Refurbished Envoy cabin. Great flight. Maybe things are beginning to turn around.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
Only one of the 6 segments on US that I have taken this year were delayed & that was due to a delayed incoming aircraft from CLT. Though many not-so-good things have been said about US, the on-time performance is usually excellent.
Old May 7, 2008, 7:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
This is excellent news for US. ^

Operational reliability is 'Job One,' so it's nice to see much of an improvement.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:39 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
They actually trailed HI in the ontime rankings, although I suppose they don't count.

The bad news is that while they are getting you there ontime, they are still 3rd from the bottom (of the biggies) about getting your baggage there, trail only Delta in involuntary bumps, and have moved up from the bottom of the "DOT complaint rate" barrel to lead only--get this--UA in terms of the number of DOT complaints per 100k emplaned. You never get the full stuff from press releases or the local fancrowd here on FT.

Moving on up! Bonuses for all at Tempe. Kirby does not check luggage, apparently, or complain about it if he does.....
Old May 7, 2008, 10:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
They actually trailed HI in the ontime rankings, although I suppose they don't count.

The bad news is that while they are getting you there ontime, they are still 3rd from the bottom (of the biggies) about getting your baggage there, trail only Delta in involuntary bumps, and have moved up from the bottom of the "DOT complaint rate" barrel to lead only--get this--UA in terms of the number of DOT complaints per 100k emplaned. You never get the full stuff from press releases or the local fancrowd here on FT.

Moving on up! Bonuses for all at Tempe. Kirby does not check luggage, apparently, or complain about it if he does.....
I've certainly had more than my share of frustrations with this airline, and am crystal clear that they've got a long way to go before I'm a happy, loyal customer.

But, this is progress. You can't deny that. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I've certainly had more than my share of frustrations with this airline, and am crystal clear that they've got a long way to go before I'm a happy, loyal customer.

But, this is progress. You can't deny that. Rome wasn't built in a day.
It is just too bad management tore Rome down to have to build it back up again!
Old May 8, 2008, 3:31 am

This is something to celebrate for a change with US. Good job US.
Old May 8, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: US CP
I don't want to sound whiny, but I have noticed a lot of extra time being built into the schedule. For example, I was on a flight from Buffalo to LaGuardia the other day, and it was listed as an hour and 15 minutes, or 75 minutes, when the flight time was 45 minutes. Now, let me tell you, there are not huge runway delays here in BUF, and a plane can be off the ground and in the air in just a few minutes. Adding what amounts to 2/3 extra of time onto the flight insured that they had an "on-time" landing, though they left about 30 minutes late. So color me a bit skeptical about this new math. However, I am pleased that things are apparently working a lot better.
Old May 8, 2008, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
For once I can say, good job US!
Old May 8, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by Feliceesq
I don't want to sound whiny, but I have noticed a lot of extra time being built into the schedule. For example, I was on a flight from Buffalo to LaGuardia the other day, and it was listed as an hour and 15 minutes, or 75 minutes, when the flight time was 45 minutes. Now, let me tell you, there are not huge runway delays here in BUF, and a plane can be off the ground and in the air in just a few minutes. Adding what amounts to 2/3 extra of time onto the flight insured that they had an "on-time" landing, though they left about 30 minutes late. So color me a bit skeptical about this new math. However, I am pleased that things are apparently working a lot better.
I guess you forgot that you were flying to LGA! Talking about potentials for delays for any flight in that airspace!
Old May 8, 2008, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Feliceesq
You should be thankful you didn't have to divert. These regional airlines put so little fuel in the planes that even "regular" delays will often cause a diversion situation.

I've been to Allentown, PA twice now on the way into LGA on beautiful clear days.
Old May 8, 2008, 7:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
As jaded as I am - I'm not going to spin this one. Good job US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.