Wiki Posts
Search

First flight to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
First flight to LHR

I note that US728, a 333, made it to LHR ahead of schedule - was there any sort of ceremony to celebrate the event like the CO folks did with their flight?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GaryZ
I note that US728, a 333, made it to LHR ahead of schedule - was there any sort of ceremony to celebrate the event like the CO folks did with their flight?
But who in the world would want to take US when BA flies the same route?!?!?!??!?!?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver
x2

Originally Posted by fly747first
But who in the world would want to take US when BA flies the same route?!?!?!??!?!?
I echo this sentiment as well...
-OxyChaz
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
err, that'll be me
the BA fllights are moving to LHR T5 on April 29th if it carries on like it is at T5 then I will be on it, I have already joined the BMI points scheme to get *A miles in case I need them
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pinkcat
err, that'll be me
So would I. I try to keep all my flights on *A for mileage accrual.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: US CP
Well that makes 3 of us. LHR puts me about a half hour closer to home.

Do non club members get access to any club at Heathrow when flying Envoy?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
is club the access to the lounge status?, I have a lot to learn !!! I was hoping that since US dont status match that I could get silver matched through BMI but I dont know if that gives me lounge/club access, it does with BA as does flying in business (thats envoy right?) or is club a higher lounge?

oh and is it true that the seats go nearly flat but not all the way?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:23 pm

US is undercutting BA on price by a substantial amount. Refundable Envoy was something like $3000 less expensive than refundable CW the last time I checked, leaving aside the current mess in T5.

On the other hand, the time of US's PHL-LHR is pretty lousy for anyone that wants to arrive in the morning and work most of a day, and if I have to arrive a day early I may as well go to EWR or go via IAD and take a day flight.

Originally Posted by pinkcat
is club the access to the lounge status?, I have a lot to learn !!! I was hoping that since US dont status match that I could get silver matched through BMI but I dont know if that gives me lounge/club access, it does with BA as does flying in business (thats envoy right?) or is club a higher lounge?

oh and is it true that the seats go nearly flat but not all the way?
I would think BMI would match BA Silver to *Gold, which would give lounge access to all domestic US and UA clubs (when flying US or UA) and would give lounge access also when flying Y internationally. An Envoy ticket also should come with lounge access.

"Club" in the e-mail above refers to members of the US Airways Clubs (all US airlines sell memberships to their lounges for US-based travelers).

Row 1 of Envoy lies flat; Rows 2-5 recline to maybe 160 degrees.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:18 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
BA will continue to garner contract traffic and people who are willing to pay for a premium service. US will get the dregs and anyone who still has a corporate contract.

US has to undercut BA on price. Nobody would select the US premium product (or even the coach product) if they were not cheaper than BA. It's very telling that (thus far), BA has not even thought about matching.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:23 pm

That's true -- but they don't always undercut the competition on price when they have to. Envoy is often more expensive to CDG than AF's business class (though it may just be the routings I fly). In the case of non-corporate discounted refundable business class PHL-LHR, though -- which is what I would fly -- Envoy isn't bad value, though the flight times are lousy.

I thought US got rid of all of their corporate contracts?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Phudnik

My company still has a contract with US (as well as UA and NW). Most of the time the price is about the same as the lowest I can get myself on the US website. Where it really helps is closer in, when the price can be a good 20-30% lower.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:18 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Phudnik

If they did, they forgot to tell my travel dept and booking engine provider. As mentioned above, a long-ways out it's generally a wash with the best fare you could otherwise find--48 hours out it's a large difference, as it is with Envoy.

I can get refundable Envoy for what a typical "public" Z fare goes for, and a non-refundable Envoy for a relative pittance oftentimes (almost what it's worth--think $800-900 each way to someplace like LGW or GLA).
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:51 pm

At what LHR terminal are the US flights arriving?
I see the flights are a bit less expensive than to LGW.
Any benefits taking one over the other from PHL?
Thanks.

Last edited by JanePond; Apr 2, 2008 at 3:52 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JanePond
Any benefits taking one over the other from PHL?
Obviously LHR is going to be much busier especially getting through customs but it is also 15 minutes closer to downtown London than LGW.

An advantge for LGW is flight time if you need to land earlier in the morning since the flight to LHR doesn't land until after 11am whereas the flight to LGW gets in before 9am.

One huge advantage that I see flying to LHR is the A333 flies the LHR route compared to flying a 752 into LGW. I can't see spending 8 hours on a 752. YMMV.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:13 pm
ToJ

Programs: UA Gold, HiltonHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JanePond
At what LHR terminal are the US flights arriving?

US Airways is currently at LHR T1 which is where BMI is located

Does anybody know if all the *A airlines are going to move into one terminal at some point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.