Wiki Posts
Search

Outrageous BOS-PHL fares continue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP, OW Emerald, B6 Mosaic; AA1MM;
Outrageous BOS-PHL fares continue

We are now 3 months into the $980 NR BOS-PHL US and DL tickets. It is time to take action. Anyone know which consumer groups to contact?

As a former weekly flyer on this route, I now take the train, and even drove this week (nice not to be in a rental car for once). With Amtrak's pending strike in NJ and Manchester ($120 refundable each way) and Providence just not convenient options there has to be a solution! Please US or DL bring back the $322.81 fares. Or better yet, COME BACK AIRTRAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd happily ditch the US miles for a product I snobbily shunned before (lesson learned).

According to our internal corporate travel ladies, travel (in house) to BOS has dropped more than 50% since the fare increase.

Other ideas anyone?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:52 pm

Yup - I had to book my nephew's flight:

01/10/08 BOS - PHL $500.00 one way. Instead booked MHT - PHL for $125.00 one way. Also looked at BOS - PHL - ABE $150.00 one way (just get off the plane in PHL and don't board the next segment).

High Fares!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Higher fares and less frequent service. Unless oil prices retreat (logic says they should, but who knows) get used to it.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What are you expecting a "consumer group" to do? Protest free market, supply and demand, deregulated industry? Are they defrauding you?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Fly AirTran BOS-BWI, rent a car and drive the hour to Philly....
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:20 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by upfront777
Other ideas anyone?
Yeah--how much is the "not convenient" MHT or PVD trip really worth to you?

They have car services as both. Use 'em and pocket the change.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles - Gold
Originally Posted by bowdenj

01/10/08 BOS - PHL $500.00 one way. Instead booked MHT - PHL for $125.00 one way. Also looked at BOS - PHL - ABE $150.00 one way (just get off the plane in PHL and don't board the next segment).

High Fares!
That works, but don't check your bag because you might end up having to drive to ABE to get it.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BostonMark
Fly AirTran BOS-BWI, rent a car and drive the hour to Philly....
It's almost 2 hours from BWI to PHL unfortunately...

Doesnt' DL offer BOS-TTN service?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Doesnt' DL offer BOS-TTN service?
Nope, Big sky had a Big Boston Bean, they no longer fly BOS-TTN or other BOS flights.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by upfront777
Manchester
There is a FREE shuttle from MHT to the Sullivan Square MBTA station and the Anderson Regional Transit Center in Woburn. The shuttle runs 24/7.

http://www.flymanchester.com/transpo...le_service.php
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:31 pm
njm

Programs: AGR, CO
Originally Posted by bowdenj

High Fares!
I just did this BOS-PHL-ABE one-way last week, after Big Sky (code-shared on DL) folded their East Coast operations. That was the TTN-BOS flight that someone mentioned, as well as ABE-BOS. I think they announced that in early december -- is it possible that prompted higher fares from US?

One other note, US might not look too kindly on ditching that last segment if someone does it regularly -- the OP seemed to imply he was a commuter or something.

If you're interested in starting an Amtrak Guest Rewards account feel free to drop by the AGR forum for some tips. I guess with these fares, suddenly $280 ($475 for F) doesn't look so bad for RT business-class service on Acela Express...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by MRS_Bad_Example
The fraud here is not the high fares. It's the mismatch of the Legacy Pricing model presented as the LCC pricing model.

The much heralded America West Management team was never an honest to God LCC, and if you study their routes pre merger you'll note they didn't go head to head with Southwest anymore than they absolutely had to. HP gouged on monopoly routes just like they do now.

The whole Business Casual/LCC message is an outright lie to consumers.

Business Casual to Tempe seems to be no necktie, no operational integrity and no moral integrity in the CEO office.

How can you ba an LCC with the highest costs in the Industry?
These comments are spot on. Just because you call yourself an LCC doesn't make you one. It seems like there should be some standards in place in order for an airline to proclaim itself an LCC.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:32 pm

And to make it worse, Amtrak may go on strike on Jan 30 (http://www.boston.com/news/local/art..._would_rock_t/)

Good luck trying to get from BOS to PHL via plane (for less than $1000) or train. Greyhound anyone?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: US,AA
Originally Posted by sdlevi27
And to make it worse, Amtrak may go on strike on Jan 30 (http://www.boston.com/news/local/art..._would_rock_t/)

Good luck trying to get from BOS to PHL via plane (for less than $1000) or train. Greyhound anyone?
greyhound has a great loyalty program :-p
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP, OW Emerald, B6 Mosaic; AA1MM;
The bus! Now there's a solution.... Driving wasn't all bad-- stopped for lunch in NYC, dinner on way home in CT tonight with family. Plus its great to have my own car for once. Back on the train next week it they don't strike!

After further research I've learned that the one way dis the segment is a risk if it happens repeatedly and they catch on. Has anyone ever had any action taken against them? Or do they go after the travel agents? Or are they too concerned with their business casual outfits to figure it out?

The current price gouging on the route really stinks. I'm really curious to know who is looking at the numbers and making the decisions for this market. Or are they just turning a blind eye? It would be great to turn up the pressure. Too bad Delta hasn't stepped up! I'd buy 10 months worth of tickets if they had a fare sale! My US loyalty is and has been since October, caput.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.