Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Once upon a time I was a CP but...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
I was CP and fortunately realised earlier than most that US was not going anywhere quality-wise.

2001-2003: CP
2004-2007: GP (only because of my own indecision where to credit *A miles)
2008: no status (only flew 23 segments-mostly credited to UA MP)

2001-2003: flew ~330K miles (~230K miles on US or 70%)
2004-2007: flew ~550K miles (~60K miles on US or 11%)

For 2008, I plan to fly UA and CO in North America and LX, LH, and BA for Europe. I have been burning my US miles and now only have ~80K left.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
My friend was made Silver even though she only had half the needed miles.

Poof!! Instant elite!

I suspect there are plenty of cases like this.
Interesting. Details?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Count me in...er, Out!

My first year in DM (2002) I made Gold, and have been a CP every year since. The first few years I made it on segments, and would have been in the running for "Prince(ss) of Pain" title, but in later years as my long haul and international travel increased I qualified with over 130K miles.

2007 Grand total: ~48K.

My first few years in NYC I bent over backwards to fly US, but finally this year I just gave up. As my international travel increased, I just couldn't justify the extra cost, hassle, and lower quality of the US product.

I've switched my business (including 9 int'l BF tickets in 2007) to CO. I haven't flown on US since September, and they have made no effort to woo me back.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have been various levels of preferred for each year over the past 7 or 8 years, usually going between Silver and Gold. Last year I easily made Platinum (and had I known I would have a last minute, year end trip to Vegas, I would have made a MR to hit CP- I was less than 5K short!). Flying out of PHL, I felt I was stuck with US.

Well, business is taking me to Michigan every week for the next 6 months minimum, and rather than finding a way to adjust my schedule to fly US or even go through ORD on UA, I have switched 100% of my business to NW. I was status matched to Platinum through Feb 2009! Based on my schedule, I will qualify for platinum on segments by early/mid July. My first flight is this Sunday, and I have already been upgraded to F. In fact, if they can't upgrade a Platinum member, they automatically add 1000 miles to your account.

Sorry US, but like Janet Jackson (and Eddie Murphy) said- "What have you done for me lately?"
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: US Silver, Marriott Silver
Let me see here....

2004 -- SP 40 Segments
2005 -- SP 47 Segments
2006 -- SP 48 Segments
2007 -- SP 28 segments (they comped me to SP for '08??)

Delta:
2006 -- 5k MqM
2007 -- 71,000 MqM GM, and about 35k in spending. All could have been US!

All in all, MUCH happier with Delta. Nearly all of my flights have been close to ontime (including JFK-ROC) and I have nearly a 90% UG status on flights....

Glad I made the switch, and have 25k in MQM's already booked for Jan/Feb.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
CP Since thia level started

I will be a CP again for 2008, but I made it a very strange (but normal) way. I have been traveling to Singapore in 2007 and probably again in 2008. I took the miles on US not SQ, so each trip was about 20K actual miles. I also did some flights on SQ in SE Asia and also took US miles. By doing this I got about 90 actual flight miles without being on a US flight.

It breaks down something like this:

4 Trips to Singapore 8 Segments @80,000 miles
4 Trips is SE Asia 8 segments @10,000 miles
3 Coast to Coast trips US 6 segments @12,000 Miles

While I did do some more segments on US I would have made CP with only 3 trips on US, priceless.

Actually, it looks like I will qualify for CP again in 2009 all because of trips to Singapore on SQ.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: From CP to Plat to Silver
Let's see:

2002 GP
2003 CP
2004 CP
2005 CP
2006 CP
2007 PP
2008 SP and fade away

All status has been on segments, although there was a year or two when I came close to making it on miles too. I know it does no good to look backwards, but I can't help feeling somewhat nostalgic about milano and xo cookies + amaretto in first, and having confidence that the corporation that was getting thousands and thousands of dollars in revenue from my travel budget cared about their frequent flyers.

I'm going to shop around and try on different airlines this year. My travel will be--coincidentally--dramatically reduced, so the status thing isn't nearly as important as it once was. I do wish CO had more of a presence here in PVD.

Kathryn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.