Today show - "USAirways was the worst in just about everything"

Old Nov 20, 07, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Today show - "USAirways was the worst in just about everything"

Anyone else catch Tim and Nina Zagat discussing their recently released Airline Survey results?

"The biggest loser in the survey was US Airways, which took last place for premium and economy service and for punctuality."

"“They have just had problem after problem,” Tim Zagat said of US Airways. “The perception of that airline is that they’re not doing a very good job.”"

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21897337/

Let the Tempe spin begin - based on historic data, recent improvements, acknowledge we had problems, doesn't represent current situation, ..., ad nauseous

(The thread title quote is from memory, so it may not be word for word.)
Old Nov 20, 07, 9:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
TEMPE SPIN PREDICTION THREAD

1. These surveys were taken in the spring - we know we sucked then. No new news. <<brush the Zagats off>>

3. It really wasn't our fault. <<indirectly assign blame to: FAA, Delta, PHL airport management, union management, "the old US Airways", DOT, and the weather>>

2. Things have dramatically improved! <<insert random percentages here>>

3. All these improvements are coming! <<insert vague promises regarding new aircraft, improved meals, new business class - be sure to not include any firm dates or too many details>>

4. WE ARE SO PROFITABLE! <<insert random high numbers here>>

5. Fantastic forward looking statements! <<China, international expansion, combined contracts, "smart skies", and of course more profitability - make sure not to make any thing firm or concretely attainable>>
Old Nov 20, 07, 9:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, US Dirt (Yay!)
i thought they really were profitable.

as long as people are willing to spend money on the airline, even when they say it sucks, why should tempe care?

that said, i'm avoiding us when i can (made easier by the fact that i'm not flying much anymore).
Old Nov 20, 07, 9:50 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
I wonder if the comment "The legroom is great if you are a yard gnome" is for US Airways? I really think it is getting out that US Airways has one of the worst overall flying experiences. If you calculate value, experience, performance, they consistently fail.

The one thing Tempe could have done was keep the legroom on some of the more profitable routes, but they have undervalued that the "pluses" were the only thing keeping some people to this airline.

I have not flown them since September, and do not miss the airline at all!
Old Nov 20, 07, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Are the Zagat survey respondents business travelers like us or the Kettles?
Old Nov 20, 07, 10:21 am

Programs: Former DL EP (Sigh, RIP) now GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Nurburgring in 8:29
I responded to it. Can't speak for everyone else. On the other hand, the Kettels aren't really the Zagat subscribing type.
Old Nov 20, 07, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
On the other hand, the Kettels aren't really the Zagat subscribing type.
lol Good point!
Old Nov 20, 07, 10:41 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Are the Zagat survey respondents business travelers like us or the Kettles?
"7,498 frequent fliers and travel professionals"

Surveys ( US and International carriers separately)

Jim
Old Nov 20, 07, 10:54 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by jhpark View Post
i thought they really were profitable.
They are. The current management is not responsible for that. Slaughtering the benefits and perks is not responsible for that.

as long as people are willing to spend money on the airline, even when they say it sucks, why should tempe care?
Because absent being able to merge any more bankrupt airlines together, that gravy train is not going to last forever.

that said, i'm avoiding us when i can (made easier by the fact that i'm not flying much anymore).
That seems to be a more common sentiment these days.
Old Nov 20, 07, 10:55 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Wow....according some on this board there are only a few bad apples here who are always negative. Guess one may need to book mark the link for future use when they complain about all the whining here.
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:15 am

On another news show this morning (I was grazing), another expert said that USAir was offering a bonus to employees if they achieved a 60% on time arrival stat over the holidays and then some figure (9?) or below lost luggage per 1000 bags.

That's right, striving for mediocrity. Does this mean we are now 'Zagats' or 'Kettles'? I too answered the Zagat survey, flying mostly Business for pleasure.
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jhpark View Post
that said, i'm avoiding us when i can
Although I haven't ever flown US much (being a DFW based flyer), I'm with you on avoiding them as much as possible now. For the time being that means no US Airways flights for me... at all.
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:23 am

Programs: None
The "Holiday Hustle" incentive program - for Nov and Dec combined, achieve at least 60% on-time departures (no later than schedule) and no more than 7 mishandled bag reports. Achieving one gets each employee $50, both gets $100.

Jim
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:43 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I'd like to hear from some here on FT who consistently bark back when any negative comments about US are made. Is the Zagat survey wrong on these counts? How might you defend against these claims that placed US at the bottom of the heap on so many crucial components?

You know who you are ---- now's your chance!
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by sbtinme View Post
I'd like to hear from some here on FT who consistently bark back when any negative comments about US are made. Is the Zagat survey wrong on these counts? How might you defend against these claims that placed US at the bottom of the heap on so many crucial components?

You know who you are ---- now's your chance!
There are very few people like that left now that the monarch has departed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: