FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Does Tempe read this forum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/759039-does-tempe-read-forum.html)

enviroian Nov 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Does Tempe read this forum?

I know I, and others have complained about the DM elite program, the devaluation of it, and the yanking of F seats. I know this is the tip of the iceberg but do you think anyone from US HQ reads these threads? I don't know about you but if I knew my top paying customers were making comments, good and bad, about my product I'd be sure to listen in and make changes where applicable.

Just curious...what do you think?

bitburgr Nov 19, 2007 8:22 pm

I think Art from FFOCUS addressed this earlier this year. I'm gonna say yes...whether they care is the bigger question.

McFlyPHL Nov 19, 2007 8:29 pm

I'm pretty sure they do. It's also clear that there's a fine line between "whining" and legitimate gripes. Personally, I think the whining helps keep legitimate gripes lost in the noise.

If we accepted WHAT they want to run, then BIYATCHED about how they fail to do even that, I think we'd be in much better shape. Unfortunately we get caught up in clear exagerations and smaller complaints (anyone remember rollover miles, deriding discounted awards as "useless" and a "slap in the face"?) and personal insults (like "DoUgIe" etc) thus missing the bigger ones - like broken upgrades, yanking F seats, glasstic fantastics, potato chips for breakfast, etc.) When it becomes a game of damned if you do, damned if you don't - well, I just won't. But that's just me. I'm lazy and screwed either way.

I think they'd listen to a rational complaint base, but not one that is just ticked no matter what.

Art234 Nov 19, 2007 10:26 pm

They most certainly do read this board and another popular board as well. In fact on the other board, we have some anecdotal evidence that members of Tempe staff are signing up and posting their spin as if they were customers.

I can't say that they do that here although it is possible.

So we know they read the boards--so what do they do with the information they read? Not much I am afraid.......

crunchie Nov 19, 2007 11:06 pm

I get a nagging feeling their internal portal has a link to this forum and is labeled as entertainment. :p

usa18dca Nov 19, 2007 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by crunchie (Post 8759386)
I get a nagging feeling their internal portal has a link to this forum and is labeled as entertainment. :p

Actually yes it is under the hub...just kidding ;)

safetymom Nov 20, 2007 4:30 am

They may read it but they have demonstrated they aren't at all interested in FF opinions.

GaryZ Nov 20, 2007 6:08 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL (Post 8758832)
I'm pretty sure they do. It's also clear that there's a fine line between "whining" and legitimate gripes. Personally, I think the whining helps keep legitimate gripes lost in the noise.

I think they'd listen to a rational complaint base, but not one that is just ticked no matter what.

Originally Posted by Art234
So we know they read the boards--so what do they do with the information they read? Not much I am afraid.......

Don't you guys see the connection?

Even if, and that's a big IF, they didn't give a damn, we might have some small influence on their thinking, if not actions, by being more constructive in our criticism.

Lately FrequentHopper, jerseyfinn, and now McFlyPHL -guys I respect, have been saying the same thing... being more eloquent than me, of course. ;)

me4yankees Nov 20, 2007 7:00 am

Regardless of the type or quality of the post or rant, if Tempe were smart, they would send us an insider like they have on the DL, NW, and CO forums to RESPOND to our issues and to provide insider information! Such an insider should be intelligent enough to work through the posts and get to the core issues and problems, right? Right? :D

enviroian Nov 20, 2007 7:36 am

Originally Posted by me4yankees (Post 8760693)
Such an insider should be intelligent enough to work through the posts and get to the core issues and problems, right? Right? :D

Tempe does indeed have in insider. He was recently seen walking around Mill Ave looking for the best happy hour for Doug.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fidd/180423593/

:D:D:D

US AIRWAYS FAN Nov 20, 2007 8:11 am

These guys in the sand castle absolutely DON'T CARE. I have to say this much. The folks at CCY actually did care about what we thought. Remember they even went so far and had an on-line chat with us on here back in the day. Tempe would not even give that a thought.

FrequentHopper Nov 20, 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by me4yankees (Post 8760693)
Regardless of the type or quality of the post or rant, if Tempe were smart, they would send us an insider like they have on the DL, NW, and CO forums to RESPOND to our issues and to provide insider information! Such an insider should be intelligent enough to work through the posts and get to the core issues and problems, right? Right? :D

As a regular on the DL board (and a DL gold as well), I can tell you that the "insider's" job is mostly to explain why constant downgrades of the SkyMiles program are "just good business." I don't think customer feedback has been taking a lot of precedence at DL as well, the posts just serve as PR spin potential.

I suspect that US in a position where they cannot invest too much (given the shaky economy and moves towards consolidation), but they also cannot allow service to deteriorate further. Considering the unique route structure, they have lots of structural customers (like me) who "have" to fly them a lot of places simply because they're the best choice.

They'll do what it takes to keep those customers. The ones posting "DoUgIe" ad nauseum don't do us any favors, as it conflates "US is the Antichrist" hysteria with legitimate complaints and feedback.

I have some serious issues with a great deal of the so-called "US FF lobby" these days. If the head of the lobby is going to bash US at every opportunity, proudly point out he flies another airline full time, recruit US FFs for another airline's FF program, and join in political bashing of US at its PHL hub, it's not lobbying for me -- a US FF. Sadly, I think FFOCUS has evolved from a useful organization ("Focused on US Success" is in its name) to one that has just become a forum for bashing.

The legitimate complaints about all the problems at the hubs and on the planes get ignored when US execs check out the forum, only to see that FFOCUS is also cheering Specter's efforts to toss US out of PHL and attack them no matter what they do. They pigeonhole themselves as fanatics, and get ignored, and that doesn't help those of us who are actually wanting to get feedback heard and changes instituted.

Frankly, I strongly support the decision of others to switch carriers. I moved a great deal of my Europe flying to Delta due to the deterioration of the Envoy product and PHL hub reliability this year. But I'm still flying US and don't feel represented by moderators who hate US and want it to fail, and "representatives" who haven't flown the carrier in 8+ months.

Sorry, just sayin' it like I see it.

SS255 Nov 20, 2007 8:12 pm

They only care to the extent it affects their bottom line. As long as they're making money, don't expect any positive changes. Geez, we haven't even had a working website in over a year-and-a-half! :rolleyes:

me4yankees Nov 20, 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentHopper (Post 8762944)
As a regular on the DL board (and a DL gold as well), I can tell you that the "insider's" job is mostly to explain why constant downgrades of the SkyMiles program are "just good business." I don't think customer feedback has been taking a lot of precedence at DL as well, the posts just serve as PR spin potential.

At least DL has someone out there who admits to working for Delta and shares info, albeit not perfect. You should visit the CO forum and meet CO Insider. He accepts PMs and e-mails and is very responsive to his customers' inquiries.

With regard to FFOCUS, the organization is evolving into something larger than just US Airways. It is evident that current US management is not interested in meaningful dialogue with its preferred travelers. Service and reliability have declined while other carriers are trying to improve. I understand why some FFers have decided to leave US for more reliable pastures--so they can make their business commitments. I personally still have to fly US because of my home airport's limited options and I have a right to express my discontent with a company with whom I still do business.

jerseyfinn Nov 20, 2007 9:33 pm

As to enviroian's question about whether Tempe reads this forum. Better to ask if Tempe comprehends what we say here. Can't say I'm sure of the answer to that one.

If I were to characterize this forum, I'd say that a good chunk of folks here raise legitimate concerns. Yes, a handful are a bit more angry and perhaps occassionally less objective. But IMO this board was much more inherently negative a couple of years ago than it is now. We've had some really nice folks drift away as their discontent turns into action and they find other carriers. Those of us who are left are too tired to say much anymore. It's like a failing marriage in which neither side will get out of the house -- it's easier to turn over and look at her and close your eyes and go back to sleep.

. . . I personally still have to fly US because of my home airport's limited options and I have a right to express my discontent with a company with whom I still do business.
I'm in the same boat with Yankee and could not agree more. If we're still gonna fly this turkey, then we gotta let 'em know how we feel. I still give feed back, positive and negative when I fly. DP and his HUTA cronies can ignore me all they want. But I'm on the record for anyone honest enough to examine it.

Still I remain a pessimistic optimist ( you have to be a Finn to really understand this crazy mindset ). I myself don't hate the guys at the top in Tempe, but I will call them out in no uncertain terms as I've earned that privilige ( I won't say right ) to do so as a loyal FFer & the guy paying the bill. We all make mistakes in life, and most of us are wont to admit it. Now in my field as an anesthetist, you better learn from your mistakes. Presently, the folks in Tempe are in denial for whatever reason -- I myself think it's pride, vanity, and a touch of arrogance & occassional stupidity along with the inability to remember what Clint Eastwood always said (" a man's gotta know his limitations").

I'm a little disappointed to see oil slipping downward again as I was hoping that high fuel prices ( which naturally will be added to our ticket costs as a surcharge ) will do a great deal to force additional mergers and consolidations sooner rather than later. It's my impression that Tempe is presently damaged goods not only with us pax, but with their industry peers. So it would be nice to see DL, UA and others pulling off deals while the Tempe wanna be's try to get into that game again. Not because I want to see them fail, but because it might force them to face the music and decide what-in-the-hell this airline is going to be and what their place in this game really is. It could make for a better CEO or it could make for a dash to the exit and a golden parachute. In either case, those would be positive outcomes, even if US never quite finds itself.

I think I've hurt my own brain with these thoughts and I must retire for a brew or two.

Hey all, happy T-Day.

Barry