US Airways Awarded New China Route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post US Airways Awarded New China Route

US Airways Awarded New China Route
Tuesday September 25, 11:33 am ET
Airline plans to begin its first-ever non-stop service to Beijing from its Philadelphia hub in 2009

TEMPE, Ariz., Sept. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) today announced it has awarded US Airways (NYSE: LCC - News) a new route between its Philadelphia hub and the Chinese capital city of Beijing. The daily service to China will begin in 2009 with wide-body Airbus A340 aircraft configured to seat 269 (42 Envoy and 227 economy). The flight will originate at the airline's hub in Charlotte, N.C.

US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker stated, "We are extremely honored by the Department's decision to award US Airways with this service, and I want to personally thank Secretary Peters and others on her staff who worked diligently to review our application. The Department conducted a fair and thorough process and because of that work, today, US Airways has been presented with an historic opportunity for our airline's employees and our customers."

Continues Parker, "We are also most appreciative of the support demonstrated by many federal, state and local elected officials and business leaders. Specifically, from Pennsylvania, Gov. Edward G. Rendell and U.S. Senators Arlen Specter and Robert P. Casey, Jr. and Philadelphia Mayor John F. Street; from North Carolina, Senators Elizabeth Dole and Richard Burr as well as Gov. Michael F. Easley and Charlotte Mayor Patrick McCrory; from Delaware, Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., Sen. Thomas R. Carper, U.S. Rep. Michael N. Castle and Gov. Ruth Ann Minner.

Press Release
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Already being discussed in the "flights to china" thread, but seeing as this is breaking news I suggest we continue it here.

So, I'll repeat ...

<<shudder>>

US Airways really has an opportunity here that I hope it doesn't squander. Trans-Pac flights are new for US.

If they really invest in this route, and do everything possible to assure a consistently clean plane, on time performance, well stocked provisions, and courteous service -- then they can actually attempt to gain a reputation (shocking I know) for GOOD service.

As much as I really really want to judge and say "oh it's going to be terrible just like the TA operation" I'm hoping they'll really put some time and effort into making it right. They sure do have enough lead time.

Last edited by Jumpgate; Sep 25, 2007 at 10:19 am
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I like Helps that I'm 15 min from PHL.

I just hope US gets their act together so the appeal of the trip to EWR diminishes.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:48 am

This is probably the funniest thing I have heard thus far today. I wonder if WN is getting one next??? Does PHL really need China service in the first place? One would think that this route could have been better allocated to one of the major hub cities.

At least they're investing in a 340, as I was assuming that they would do this as a 12 hopper in a 321.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Does Dougie have a drinking buddy at the DOT?

I sure wish I knew what they were on when they made this decision... I'd buy some for my boss and VP.....
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Will US be around in 2009?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by brendog
Does PHL really need China service in the first place?
The UA response concerning US bid was that a Beech 1900 would be too big.

UA's Filing on page 88.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Already being discussed in the "flights to china" thread, but seeing as this is breaking news I suggest we continue it here.

So, I'll repeat ...

<<shudder>>

US Airways really has an opportunity here that I hope it doesn't squander. Trans-Pac flights are new for US.
Well, yes and no. For old US Airways, yes. For "new" US Airways, which is just America West with new lipstick, no. Remember the old 747s which flew to Nagoya???
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
You'd think someone would have checked their facts for the release:

Philadelphia is the second largest city on the East Coast and the fifth in the nation, with a metropolitan area of almost six million people. Before the DOT award, it is also the second largest U.S. metro area without nonstop service to China.

Not true:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

This made HUGE news here in the PHX area when the city passed by Philly (including cover stories in the paper, headlines on the news, etc).
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by aztimm

Philadelphia is the second largest city on the East Coast and the fifth in the nation, with a metropolitan area of almost six million people. Before the DOT award, it is also the second largest U.S. metro area without nonstop service to China.

Not true:

This made HUGE news here in the PHX area when the city passed by Philly (including cover stories in the paper, headlines on the news, etc).
Philly has the 5th largest metro population to be fair. Not that I'm a fair person.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:28 pm

That list is totally worthless! Cities that are spread out and have a lot more people that live just outside the "metro" area still use the airport. Worthless!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by aztimm

Not true:

Within 2 hours of Philly you have Baltimore, Washington, Wilmington, New York City, Newark, all of New Jersey, and most of Central PA including Harrisburg and Allentown.

Within 2 hours of Phoenix you have, well, um, Tempe.

Yes, the city of Phoenix has more people that the city of Philadelphia. The Philly metro area is leagues larger in population that the Phoenix metro area.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Within 2 hours of Philly you have Baltimore, Washington, New York City, Newark, all of New Jersey, and most of Central PA including Harrisburg and Allentown.

Within 2 hours of Phoenix you have, well, um, Tempe.
Yah, and you already have service out of New York and Washington.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ITRADE
Yah, and you already have service out of New York and Washington.
Yup.

So, just looking at the Philly metropolitan area (not even the entire region as I did in my previous post) it's still greater than the Phoenix metropolitan area.

There are also a good amount of people for whom the difference in distance between PHL and EWR or PHL and IAD is marginal. These are locations where US has a chance (not only with fares but service) to really win people over.

A great example in the New Brunswick - Princeton area of Central New Jersey. It's about equidistant to both EWR and PHL and contains the corporate headquarters for massive companies such as Ernst & Young, Johnson and Johnson, Merrill Lynch, Bristol-Myers Squibb and about 50 other pharmaceuticals.

Another example, though not as good as the central NJ, would be Central PA and the Harrisburg regions. Lots of companies and a pretty equal drive to either PHL or EWR.

These "gray" areas are key to making this route work.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Will US be around in 2009?
Will A340s be around in 2009? Kidding, but I thought they were going the way of the dinosaur in general. Or does US need that extra-long range one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.