Search

USAirways cuts flights from PIT

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver
USAirways cuts flights from PIT

http://postgazette.com/pg/07137/786717-28.stm

(Mods: if this is a duplicate please delete)
Old May 17, 2007, 6:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
<< insert standard "loss of PIT" lament here >>
Old May 17, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, AmEx MR
Thumbs down

*shakes head* *sighs*

It's only a matter of time before SFO and LAX service disappear.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
Thumbs down Time to move on

Well, that's great. Almost all of the cities on that list are corporate destinations for me. If I'm going to have to connect somewhere, it won't be on US.

Well done, Mr. Parker, well done. I hope the low-price seeking, non-loyal, fly-once-every-two-years-and-then-only-if-you're-cheaper-than-Southwest crowd continues to overlook your dirty planes, poor service, and ridiculous scheduling.

I'm out.

/rant
Old May 17, 2007, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
This is indeed sad. When I fly US and have to connect I prefer to go through PIT than PHL, but that is becoming harder ad harder to do.

I really like PIT as an airport, but it often feels like a ghost town.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerPhil
Well, that's great. Almost all of the cities on that list are corporate destinations for me. If I'm going to have to connect somewhere, it won't be on US.
Same here.....looks like I'll be connecting more, and it's guaranteed it will not be on US. With CLT becoming Charladephia, and PHL....well it's just PHL, I see CVG, IAD and ORD in my future.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Can't believe BUF and BWI are losing service. I can remember daily 757s on BWI-PIT just two or three years ago. Really shocking. Tempe seems to think that the "shrink it til its profitable" approach will work in PIT, but it never will.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; May 17, 2007 at 12:03 pm
Old May 17, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles - Gold
Ah yes, the good 'ole Southwest effect in action. I imagine that PIT doesn't have the largest local market, thus US was able to charge fairly high fares to maintain its operations in and out of PIT despite the lower demand for local service. When WN came and and lower the fares, the incentive for US to keep their operations there diminished dramatically, thus a reduction of service. People speak with their dollars and the people have spoken saying they'd would rather have the fares rather than the convience, so there you go.
Old May 17, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, AA
If they don't go where I want to go, when I want to go, then I'll fly the carrier who does. I just took AA this morning because I'm returing Sat evening and US doesn't see fit to run even a dash-8 from LGA-PIT on Sat evenings. Now, the grass wasn't any greener, mind you, with AA's cramped CRJ on the route and hole of a terminal at LGA (I looked around, is there even an airside connection between AA's piers there?), but my flying is going to be driven incresingly by schedule and price, not loyalty.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
Originally Posted by PHXFqtvlr
Ah yes, the good 'ole Southwest effect in action. I imagine that PIT doesn't have the largest local market, thus US was able to charge fairly high fares to maintain its operations in and out of PIT despite the lower demand for local service. When WN came and and lower the fares, the incentive for US to keep their operations there diminished dramatically, thus a reduction of service. People speak with their dollars and the people have spoken saying they'd would rather have the fares rather than the convience, so there you go.
Actually, according to others in this forum, PIT has a bigger O&D market than Charlotte. (See also the thread entitled "Pittsburgh is a ghost town for US" on this forum [I can't seem to get the link to appear correctly in this post]). It's also been my experience the US has matched WN's fairs on competing routes, or at least came close.

Also, in my experience, flights to most of these cities are PACKED on US. I just don't see where this "over capacity" is that they need to ditch service.

I just don't understand...
Old May 17, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: US1
Remember when BWI was a hub. Well PIT will become what BWI is today in the not to distant future.

Very sad.

US is pulling it's flights because people are buying the cheapest ticket. US does not care about the business traveler anymore. PIT will probably eventually only see service to PH, LAS, DCA, LGA, PHL, CLT and maybe a handful of Florida cities.

I guess US was not seeing money made on the SAN and SEA routes.

With all the bad service that this carrier is giving people are leaving in droves and well there goes your connecting traffic. People are jumping ship to AA, DL, CO and all the others. They are tired of playing luggage roulette and tired of all the "We are so sorry". People will only take so much abuse before moving on.

There is no one to blame but US management.

T
Old May 17, 2007, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver
And as an add on
http://postgazette.com/pg/07137/786843-100.stm
"Pitsburgh to lose 56 flight attendants"
Old May 17, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Can't believe BUF and BWI are losing service. I can remember daily 757s on BWI-PIT just two or three years ago. Really shocking. Tempe seems to think that the "shrink it til its profitable" approach will work in PIT, but it never will.
Wonder if the big six story banner on the side of the parking deck coming into BWI had anything to do with it?

It Says.... Daily non-stops to PIT starting March 11. It was a WN banner. Doesn't look like it took long for WN to eat US's lunch again.
Old May 17, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: no elite status, but i get around
Should we speculate who will fill the SEA-PIT void? WN? AS?
Old May 17, 2007, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegeek
Should we speculate who will fill the SEA-PIT void? WN? AS?
No one will non-stop. It will be connections. As a PIT business flyer that's a big problem. Connections are such a pain and you can't get too many places without them, no matter which airline. Plus so many flights are on CRJ's, which are also a pain, literally.

I have seen a thread on either this board or on usaviation where part of the blame goes to the county. They refused to lower fees during the bankruptcy hearings. I think they thought other airlines would come in with big numbers. 10,000 jobs lost later and 400 flights, it really didn't happen. Whose administration did that happen under? Jim Roddey or Dan Onorato? I also wonder if "Slick Ed Rendell" had some input, his beloved Philadelphia got most of the benefits. I just have the impression that it's more than economics here, it's part political.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.