About that upgrade process......

Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
About that upgrade process......

This morning I took flight 67, BOS-LAS and had no luck with the upgrade process done through the computer and even trying a gate dance. No big deal I thought I can't win them all... So anyway I noticed three individuals get on the 10-15mins before the GA started to go through the boarding routine. I boarded with Zone 1 and noticed two of the gentleman were seated in first and the other around row 7 or 8. No big deal I thought, probably Air Marshalls or maybe someone that has a high clearence to board with the crew.

I overheard the GA saying the flight was oversold and for those passengers without seat assignments to wait in the boarding area until everyone is seated before they let them get on to fill the empty seats. Makes sense I thought, I have seen this done a hundred times. However, this is where the problem comes up. In First, seats 3A&3B were open but before I could say anything, the people without seat assignments took those seats in addition to the rest on the plane. The FA questioned them and they said that the GA told them to take the first seats you find available. The GA confirmed this with the FA when she came down the jetway. Needless to say I was very umm......how do you say, POed. I am ok with losing out on an upgrade to an air marshal or someone that just has an in with the airline but a passenger without a seat assignment? Give me a break!
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
On that long of a flight, and if I had seen that happen I would have made a stink about it till the GA came and fixed the problem.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: None
The correct procedure would have been to have those without seat assignments take any open coach seat, unless there were elites among them who were next in line to upgrage - those (if any) could take an open F/C seat. Then upgrade elites from coach to any remaining F/C seats, freeing coach seats for any remaining passengers without seat assignments.

Having said that, the agents are under a lot of pressure to get the flights out on time or with minimal delay. If it was departure time, it sounds like the agent took the most expeditious route instead of the correct one.

Jim
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:07 am

man I would be pissed too.. esp since you asked the GA, so it was definitely on their mind. They should have been able to accomodate you. Send a letter, or better yet complain on your way back.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
The u/g system is clearly-and has been BROKEN! Does anyone ever venture over to the other legacy boards? NONE speak like the volumes that this board has!!!

Maybe if the ga's would show up an hour before, the computer system was fixed and such, these mistakes would be minimized! But...NO...they continue on and on!
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
The correct procedure would have been to have those without seat assignments take any open coach seat, unless there were elites among them who were next in line to upgrage - those (if any) could take an open F/C seat. Then upgrade elites from coach to any remaining F/C seats, freeing coach seats for any remaining passengers without seat assignments.

Having said that, the agents are under a lot of pressure to get the flights out on time or with minimal delay. If it was departure time, it sounds like the agent took the most expeditious route instead of the correct one.

Jim
That all makes sense. And seeing it from the gate agent perspective, I may have done the same just go get the plane off the ground. I know that one time in PHX, while sitting in Y, they paged me over the intercom and told me I had been reassigned to F which was awesome. I guess we all just get lucky sometimes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.